Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and found nothing on the Youth ATV's and what mods that can be done to them - not just to increase power but also with the accessories.

I just bought a used - hardly used - 2002 Arctic Cat 90 ATV 2-stroke. It has plenty of power for my 6 and 8 year olds at the moment, but in the future I would like to get more out of it.

Also, I would like to add a rack somehow, and a front headlight. maybe even handwarmers.

Anyone with a youth ATV done any mods to it? If so, please post what you did!

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
So far the 50 is plenty for my kids. I added a flag for safety. Given some thought to a head light. I think the later models had a light so you could try and fit one. I'm thinking of a led light. I just want it for safety, not riding in the dark.

You can remove a spacer in the clutch to get some more top speed. I haven't done it yet. I still have the throttle limiter crew cranked down. It's limited to about 9 mph, which is fine. Even at that slow they have rolled it by hitting a snowbank, smacked a garage door and a tree. Rockerdude Had a helmet so not hurt at all and got up and back on. I was very proud of them for that.

Does your 90 smoke? My 50 smokes, it's only a little but it smokes all the time.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
You can dump allot money in those little motors and get quite a a bit of power out of them, I'm not at my laptop right now but when I get back to it I'll look some things up for you. I don't have any idea about the racks or handwarmers but I'm guessing there's something out there for them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Does your 90 smoke? My 50 smokes, it's only a little but it smokes all the time.

His 90 is a 2-stroke and burns a gas/oil mix and will always smoke some, is your 50 a 2 or 4 stroke? The reason I ask is was thinking they started making those with 4-stroke motors later on.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
It's a 2 stroke. If that's the way they are, so be, just doesn't seem like it should be that way, once it warms up and running with some throttle.

FYI: It runs and starts great now. The kids have been riding it frequently the last 4 months. If it sits it becomes finicky. I haven't checked the plug since I put a new one in last year. I'm going to give it a look next time I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I got some smoke from the engine and would rather have the 4-storke one, however it isn't nearly as bad as a snowmobile 2-stroke (probably because the engine is smaller?) and the wife/kids don't even notice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts