Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Replaced the gasgets on my Y pipe this weekend due to a leak and after running it for a bit one side is still leaking wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or way to rectify this problem as its irriatating me. It happens to be the same side that was leaking before changing the gasgets to so thinking its more the just the gasgets?? It seems the nut even has oil on it like its coming through there?? Any help on this would be much appreicated. Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would use a thin bead of gasket sealer. Once they run for a while, that should go away. Most people who use D&D's y-pipe have the same problem at first. Mine leakes, and with a little sealer, it is perfect.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I put the sealer between the Pipe and the gasget or between the gasget and the cylinder?? Thanks.

·
Administrator
7,965 Posts
If you recently had your cylinders off and tightened them down before you snugged up the y-pipe, you'll get leaks most every time. The y-pipe needs to be snugged up first to help line it up w/ the cylinders. Then torque down the cylinders. Just food for thought......tigger

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Over tightening the nuts that attach the y-pipe to the cylinder will distort the flange. If oyu use sealant it should go between the y-pipe flange and the gasket. When you take the y-pipe off try checking the flages for flatness. Use sandpaper on a piece of glass, or a long, flat file to check for high spots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had a simalar problem with my zr 600, my dealer, also my friends dad told me to use a high temperture silicone around the gasket, so far its working perfect

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Little skim of high heat silicone to both sides the gasket but only after wiping both the gaskets and the sealing surfaces with thinners / throttle body cleaner or similar..................makes the silicone stick like crazy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
check your temp ratings on your silicone. i found a black one that was higher temp then the ugly red stuff. it looks much nicer under the hood that way.

IMO

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi, did you check your gasket between your power valve cover and the cylinder. My 2002 zr 500 had a problem with the gasket leaking, and it looked like the y pipe was leaking oil but was dripping from valve cover. Just something to check, easy to fix with some silicone on the gasket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts