Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm almost done with my mods for this year. All that's left are snow eliminators, side vents, clutch kit, and new gearing. I have an EB with the 65/55 gears and can't decide if I should go with 60/60 or 57/63; I'm leaning towards the 60/60. Any advice?

[attachment=59041:XFire1.GIF] [attachment=59042:XFire2.GIF]

[attachment=59043:XFire3.GIF] [attachment=59044:XFire4.GIF]

Also, as you can see in the pix below, my primary isn't shifting out. I just took the sled out on Wednesday and cleaned up everything for my first ride. I cleaned the sheaves, freed up the weights, and put in a D&D shift assist bearing. My springs are stock and I have 73g weights. If I gear lower will I see better shift out in the primary? I'm not exactly a clutch pro but have a general understanding of how the clutch works. I read all of Donno's posts and often get a headache; damn you know clutching! I'm taking the spider off next week and chamfering out the spring cup.

[attachment=59040:primary.GIF]

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
60/60's are nice, you should get better shift with these. I'd like to try 62/58's, but at $179 a pop...dumped enough $ this year. You should shift out farther than that, What elevation you ride?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd love to try 62-58s too, but you wont be disapointed with 60-60. You might want to try spinning the spring adjuster on the secondary either way, I found it helped with shift a bit. I found it brought the RPMs down too... I was consistanly pulling 8020 which was causing the belt to slip at WOT, if I backed off the throttle and ease into the last bit, i could get better shift. Now 7800-7900 is what I see when I had it to the pin.. and I found the belt didn't slip, allowing more shift.

We talk alot here about the slippping issue, but I havent read alot about playing with the secondary spring adjuster? I am thinking alot of people dont know it can be done? I didn't until this year.

EDIT: spelling, and I just noticed from your pictures that you have a pipe.... your rpms might be totally different than mine, also in the one pic with the side cover off , i cant see the belt cogs on the bottom of the secondary, if the belt is on in that picture, you might want to play with shims and get that belt out further so the cogs ride above the rim of the secondary.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xfireman @ Dec 29 2006, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
60/60's are nice, you should get better shift with these. I'd like to try 62/58's, but at $179 a pop...dumped enough $ this year. You should shift out farther than that, What elevation you ride?[/b]

I ride at sealevel to 4K ft; the majority of my riding is probably at 1K-2K ft. I mainly boondock, even if I enjoyed riding trails, the trails in AK are really bad.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Go run it on glare ice and more of that marker will disappear. It won't shift out on snow. The EB are geared too high and 60-60 is too low...IMO. With 60-60 we go into overdrive at 75 mph....ish.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It would be nice to have longer legs on the top. I may just have to break-down and order up a set of the 62/58's, but I don't want to compromise low and mid pull. And yes, conditions are the main factor for full shift /mph. :sno: :sledder:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmscat50 @ Dec 29 2006, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Go run it on glare ice and more of that marker will disappear. It won't shift out on snow. The EB are geared too high and 60-60 is too low...IMO. With 60-60 we go into overdrive at 75 mph....ish.[/b]

Hard to find glare ice around here unless I go shovel a lake. I'm not looking for top end speed; I'm looking for low end power to pull through deep powder. I'd like to find someone who has 57/63 and get their opinion; is it way to low? I think I'll be happy with the 60/60 gears though. Thanks for the input though. Who knows, I may end up living on the east coast in about 6 months and want to switch back. I've never ridden anywhere on the east coast; would really like to sometime. I've been stationed in Montana and Alaska for the last 10 years and been fortunate enough to do some incredible snowmobiling. Love them mountains!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts