Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Xfire 700 thats useing twice the oil that the other 3 cats I ride with are. I know that there are alot of posts on here about tuning the adjuster linking. My questions is what are you Cat Dealers doing for this problem. Do they admit the problem and perform the fix or are the ignoring issue? My next question is with this sled using that much oil it can't be meeting the EPA standards. How is the EPA not all over cat to issue a recall to get this fixed?

·
Registered
131 Posts
My thoughts exactly about the EPA thing. I'm betting they have the oil ratio much leaner for EPA testing and then ship to dealer a richer setting for the consumer. One of those loop poles again. I was told by a dealer that the 32-1 ratio was needed because of the lay down style motor. If so I havn't heard of outboard motors needing 32-1 or 16-1 ratios because of horizontal pistons. As for as turning down the pump. I pulled the belly pan off and looked over the linkage and beats me how anyone gets the linkage out due to it's design. I'm thinking this whole rich oil setting has a lot to do with Cat being over cautious with a new style sled. Making sure no bad publicity comes from it. Does the 700cc. in the Firecats have the same rich oil settings? Anyone?

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
It just so happens I did something EXTREMELY out of character for me. I actually took my XF-7 back to the dealer this past thursday to get the oil pump adjusted. The first real ride I made with the sled last week was 229 miles on thursday. The oil pump SUCKED 74 oz of oil on that 1 day ride. I was having FLASHBACKS of my uncles 74 YAMAHA GP 433, and my long list of OIL GUZZLING sleds, ie; 79 srx; 83 vmax; 84vmax; 87 exciter; ect; ect; Bottomline is Arctic Cat's 21st century technology is NO better than Yamaha's vintage 70's & 80's technology. The 4-stroke haters can say what they will....But over the course of thousands of miles the savings just in oil are in the hundreds of dollars. Do the math.
BTW... The dealer did the pump adjustment while I waited. (only 1 turn out) slaphappy Im sure i'll be back there again after the next ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first thoughts are how do we convince Arctic Cat that we want to work with them not against them. I am very brand loyal that last thing I want to see is my brand out of business. That being said Cat is reminding me of that shiftless family member you avoid doing business with. You know the type that you have high expectations for then they under deliver and ignore issues and complaints. I think what we all look for (a better statement might be demand) is good quality at a fair price nothing more nothing less.

In my opinion Cat's business model is stuck in last century. Based on brand and dealer loyalty in specific geographic locals. They aren't catching on to the new method of global commerce or that most of their dealers are now multi brand and loyal only to the dollar.

Some suggestions I make are a more even purchasing discount for all dealers. This would allow the small dealers to remain and better compete with the large conglamorats. There is no way that there should ever be a $1500 difference in price between Cat dealers.
Next Cat needs to be more directly involved with there customer base, this would encourage brand loyalty and also protect against the risk assumed with the new generation of dealers loyal to the dollar. They do this by posting customer service phone numbers and e-mail addresses. They should also create an online community where they solicit opinions and post facts, basically knowledge on why they did things a certain way would most likely stop alot of b sessions and improve customer satisfaction.

In conclusion my first steps will be to contact Arctic Cat and voice my concerns. Here is their # 800-279-6851 which I obtained from recall information. If they choose not to listen then ...

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/complaints/index.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MELROSEMAFIA @ Jan 6 2007, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here ya go
http://www.cpsc.gov/
Does'nt matter what country you live in, the sled is a manufactured product of the U.S.
Enough owners file the PROPER claims you will see ACTION.
If you look at some of the previous AC RECALLS they mention "in conjunction with the CPSC" that means that the CPSC has contacted them.

The CPSC allows manufacturers to do VOLENTARY RECALLS.... Because if the manufacturer did'nt do it this way the CPSC has the legal right to have any product completely removed from the marketplace. That means return your sled to the dealer for a FULL REFUND.

MAYBE.... The website addy for the Consumer Product Safety Commission should get PINNED HERE AND AT OTHER SLED WEBSITES..

Here's the most recent list of CPSC RECALLS. Take note of the ALARMING amount of SLED/ATV RECALLS.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/category/sports.html

If you don't think a RECALL can put a manufacturer out of business...Guess again. This RECALL in 1981 is credited as what caused KAWASAKI to bail out of the snowmobile industry in 1982.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml81/81003.html[/b]
Please let us know your comments.
Happy Trails!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts