Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've '14 model XF8000 which doesn't start anymore.

It started (hah, I wish it would) two days ago. I was stuck in a pile of powder. After I shut off the machine to dig myself out, it would only start up briefly, sputter a bit at low RPM and die. I left it overnight in that pile of powder. The next day I went back to rescue the thing. Started right up, but when switched to reverse it died again. I managed to keep the thing running long enough to get the sled on flat ground. There it died, and refused to start again. It was towed home.

Yesterday I pulled the whole thing apart to check things. All sensors, coils and stator resistances measure within spec. The ground wire on the front of the engine which goes into the ****** white plug seems in order. The fuel pump works, and pressurizes the fuel line on the pulls (starter motor assembly broke for the second time, so I removed it, I'm using the pull start). I checked the function of the shutoff switch and TSS. Those work as they're supposed to. Every now and then the engine sputters as if it will start at the next pull, but nothing. The gauge block does nothing, BTW, doesn't seem to get power on pulls.

I'm kinda at a loss. I pulled every connector, went through the service manual a couple of times to check on what I missed, changed the plugs. Short from having a faulty ECU or wiring harness, I can't think of any more causes for a nostart. I think I checked everything I can check with my home gamer toolset (basically a bunch of wrenches and a generic digital tester). But maybe the ArcticChat collective hive mind can come up with something? Are there more ground wires to check for breakage, for instance? Which components are actually required and need to be connected to make the engine run?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aaand it runs again...

Pulled pretty much everything apart, didn't change a thing, put everything back together again (stripped a few bolts in the process, more to fix, yay for steel bolts in aluminium). Squeezed the throttle wide open and gave the recoil a good yank. And sure enough, it starts right up and purrs like nothing ever happened.

Weird.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 16 high country 8000 does same thing every once in awhile, usually when its warm. Pull over, sputter for a couple seconds n die. Then i pull again wot and fires up perfectly fine. I thought maybe reeds but mine are good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts