Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr580 @ Jan 29 2007, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
has any body seen or heard of a 700 xfire and 800 xfire racing head to head, how much difference is there[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hammerdog @ Feb 4 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
3 hp out of the box[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M7-Dave @ Feb 5 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
With how rich the 800s are from the factory, and other little quirks that aren't worked out, the 700 is still faster out of the box.

Cat put the same clutching in both sleds, that tells me it makes no more power.[/b]
Once the XF8 guys get everything worked out like we had to; they will be leaving us in a dust cloud. The 8 produces allot more torque. Whoever does Cats clutching should be fired, and Cat should bring over the guy who designs the clutching for Polaris. The '06 and '07 clutches are not the same, the '07 is a 10.4 with orange spring, and 46-40 or a 36 helix. The primary is the same.

Click Here

With what we spend to gain 10-15 HP the XF-8 owners can spend the same and draw almost twice as much. When Cat gets the bugs worked out in '08, this will be one hellva sled.

· Registered
101 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M7-Dave @ Feb 8 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That is what I meant, if the primary is the same (weights and spring) then they aint making no more power. The same setup will put the same load on the motor, the clutch doesnt know what kind of engine it is bolted too.

The engines make the same power, and unless you plan on climbing all your hills and doing all your racing at 6000 rpm, 140hp is 140hp.

Quite honestly, I have zero performace issues with the 10.0 clutch that is on my sled, seems to work just fine when running next to the 07 800s Im riding with. Matter of fact got to watch them both swap out their belts this weekend and Im still riding on my origonl (all the sleds are within 100 miles of each other, and have been ridden down all of the same trails, we do almost all are riding with each other)

I think the 800 is a fine engine, but after watching bkuku's and his brother's burst into flames, send the ECUs to cat, and the answer was a ton more fuel and retard the timing off idle, goes to show their faith in how it will run.

My sled isnt stock, but for the $$$ i have invested I am still way ahead of a new 800.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M7-Dave @ Feb 8 2007, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also on the 10.4 clutch yes cat changed the spring, but that is cause the new secondary helix needs a longer spring, the old spring was to short.

Same start and finish rates as the sping in the 06's. Same Helixs, same gearing. the 07's have a tid bit more lower initial gear ratio than the 06's.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmscat50 @ Feb 8 2007, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dave, yer a little off here. The Crossfire 8 might use the same clutching, but has 10% higher gearing. Same DD gears yes, but 10T drivers.

That said IMO there is no way the 800 is going to rip past the 700. Maybe a length is all that would ever seperate 2 equally setup sleds. I'd love to find an 800 ro run right now :)[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M7-Dave @ Feb 8 2007, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did not know, so, it has a smidge higher gearing on the big end, negating the effect of the bigger clutch.[/b]
Your not taking into consideration one key, the 800 has more torque, let me say it again, the 800 has more torque!! You keep talking about they have the same HP; the XFire 700 is probably actually around 136 and the 800 is around 143-146...couple that with the added torque and you have allot better power band than the 700 has. If your looking at Dyno sheets, they stick fuel reducers on the 700s and set em up good before posting those sheets. The sleds we purchased, depending on dealer setup were somewhere in the 136 range. I got a EB with the 65/55 gears; what was Cat thinking? Hell, what was I thinking laying down the cash, knowing they had a summer production run coming up!! I just dropped $179 on 59/61 gears...Before you say it...I very rarely ride trails and could care less about top end speed, I'm looking for rip your arms off bottom end/better track speed in the POW for boondocking.

Add in better clutching, cause we all know Cat's stock clutching SUCKS and you'll be looking at the 800s snow flap. The only good I can see out of having a rich map is adding mods; I'd give it more air, port the cylinders, new heads and slap a boondocker on it.

It sucks these guys are having to put up with Cat's incompetence, the mapping should have been squared away before they started sending out sleds. I'm keeping a eye out on what Cat is doing to remedy this, I'd really like to pick up a '08 M8 or maybe a M1K if Cat gets the bugs worked out.

Disclaimer: Who knows, I might be wrong, but hope I'm not. I'd hate to see the XFire 7 beating up on the 800!! cmscat50: I know you've put allot of time into setup from your posts, give these guys a chance to get everything worked out. I hope we see the XFire 800 kicking ass!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.