Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know why you cant buy just the rear cooler? It looks to be part of the chassis/tunnel. I got in a minor accident on the trails over last weekend and I clipped a guy coming around an icy corner. My back left hit his front left. Nohting happened to his at all, just a scuff. I thought oh well just the bumper is bent. I got home and took all the plastic off. The rear coolers are bent from the tunnel back. I am going to try to straighten it tommorrow hoping it doesnt crack. Just wanted to let everybody know that it seemed like I barely hit him and alot of damaged occured. Just me or is the rear of this sled weak?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X7JAY7X @ Jan 25 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anybody know why you cant buy just the rear cooler? It looks to be part of the chassis/tunnel. I got in a minor accident on the trails over last weekend and I clipped a guy coming around an icy corner. My back left hit his front left. Nohting happened to his at all, just a scuff. I thought oh well just the bumper is bent. I got home and took all the plastic off. The rear coolers are bent from the tunnel back. I am going to try to straighten it tommorrow hoping it doesnt crack. Just wanted to let everybody know that it seemed like I barely hit him and alot of damaged occured. Just me or is the rear of this sled weak?[/b]

Yup, just checked the fiche. Rear cooler is part of the tunnel assy. CA$1956.00 and can you imagine the labour to strip yours and re-build the whole sled. Looks like a great opportunity for the aftermarket to bring a cost saving solution.

Good Luck with your repair attempt!

·
Registered
103 Posts
mine is leaking slowly from the left bolt that screws into the rear heat exchanger. Cat replacing it $2600.00 12.4 hour labor. It is a crazy design with little protection.
Id calm it under insurance if I were you

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree! I would claim on your insurance.

The Mach Z 1000 has a tricky cooler set up in the front under the belly pan and it is really easy to clip and puncture. I clipped a rock underneath and put a small hole in it. Insurance covered it but the cost was about the same as your listing.

Good luck! I know the Buzz Kill feeling when your new sled gets miffed with no easy repair! bang your head

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent about an hour with some 2x4's and a come-along. It looks great. Its almost impossible to tell that it was bent. I do not care for the rear of this sled at all. Now seeing how easily it bends up, down, left and right I am afraid to even touch the rear bumper. And they say you can put a hitch on this? The cooler is probably 80% of the ridgity and strength of the back. If anyone makes some sort of braces for the rear I would be first in line to buy one.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X7JAY7X @ Jan 25 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anybody know why you cant buy just the rear cooler? It looks to be part of the chassis/tunnel. I got in a minor accident on the trails over last weekend and I clipped a guy coming around an icy corner. My back left hit his front left. Nohting happened to his at all, just a scuff. I thought oh well just the bumper is bent. I got home and took all the plastic off. The rear coolers are bent from the tunnel back. I am going to try to straighten it tommorrow hoping it doesnt crack. Just wanted to let everybody know that it seemed like I barely hit him and alot of damaged occured. Just me or is the rear of this sled weak?[/b]
if it cracks bring it to a welder and have the tubes replaced, thats easy and pressure tested or a automotove radiator shop

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same as the Firecat ! Take the plastic off and all that is there is heat exchanger, no tunnel. Not as bad as the new ones but still NFG if you get hit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have opted for the extra few pounds of a full tunnel. It seems fine now I will find out this weekend when I go up north.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts