Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago a good friend was buried in an avalanche, doing the same thing we always do. I was on the slope minutes earlier. Its just lucky that someone saw it happen and we found him in time. It scared the hell out of us all. A huge 3 foot slab avalanche started above him and tore him from the sled. He was wearing a beacon, it may have saved his live. After we dug him out, we talked about it for a while and told him he was only buried for around two minutes. Another friend was taping the boys messin around and caught the avalanche (actually someone yelling avalanche!) and the actual rescue, and we were shocked at how long he was actually buried. We could easily have lost him. We all got a little complacent, and someone almost died. Dont forget your beacon, probe, and shovel when riding in the mountains, and make sure everyone has them in working condition, I hope I don`t sound too preachy. We used to always ask if everyone had their av gear, and used to practice finding a beacon often, we will be doing that again, I promise.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Glad there was a happy ending to this. This sorta stuff happens when we become too comfortable in any situtation.

Your not preaching, you just passing on a warning from personal experiences. We need more stories to open our eyes!

Roddy

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Glad that the outcome isn't worse off, but it pays a hard lesson learned after experiencing an avalanche coming down on your friend. It's always nice to be equipped such as beacon or cell phone to locate if trouble hits you or anybody.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Peace,

AB :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Glad everyone is ok. A good reality check. Thanks for the heads up. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Happy to hear he's OK.

Have the equipment...know how to use it...test it before and during every ride...take an avy course...don't ride the mountains without any of it!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
helgy,hey bro glad to hear the outcome!!!!!!!everybody wins.
i always carry my probe and shovel when and where ever i ride.because you never know.we may not have the big stuff here in ontario,regardless! we should never under estimate lifes dealt hand,simply from my own ability of getting stuck,causing a slide or a kid playing in the ditch and a snow plow comes along.
theres nothing finer than being able to enjoy life another day!

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Glad to hear your buddy is OK. I can't imagine the feeling of being buried by snow. Feeling claustrophobic just thinking about it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
if I ever got trapped like that I would hope to god my helmet stayed on. That would be so scary to be stuck in all the snow and u cant open ur mouth to breath.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
holy :turd: glad to hear that everyone was ok and congrads on the quick find.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Sounds like a real eye opener, fortunately you guys were able to keep your :turd: together and find your buddy in time, things like this always happen and make people realize just how quickly things can go wrong, keep up the good work! :thumbsup: Dog

1 - 11 of 11 Posts