Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i would say you would have issues trying to draw fuel through the in tank pump.
i have read before on this site way back then
someone used a low pressure fuel pump for a 85 ford f250 with a carbed 460 4 barrel ,, you may find it on a search

Reactions: LimeChild

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I think that pump would work for you as long as it is self priming and is able to suck fuel up to it. Carburetors do not require much pressure. Would not work for EFI though. The non working in tank pump may or may not cause problems though with either developing the pressure or delivering the volume required.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys. Will let you know how I make out. Not sure when im going to have the extra cash to order it.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Emphasis Added. It would have to be self priming. When you shut the ATV off, the fuel in the pump will probably drain back into the tank. When it does, upon restarting the pump is trying to pump nothing but vapors and not any liquid until it finally sucks the liquid up to the pump. Once it is primed and sucking liquid fuel it should be good from there on. Keeping the replacement pump mounted low will help prevent drain back and increase ability to self priming as long is it does not create a self siphon problem.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I think I read somewhere that the pump will need to be below the tank. That would prevent it from draining back to tank when not being used.

Thanks Wyo

·
Registered
340 Posts
Someone on here used a older Ford Mustang fuel pump I think. What about installing a check valve to keep the fuel from draining back?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found an old post on here that said a fuel pump for a 1990 Ford Mustang 4 cyl is the same. I checked what they like like at VIP and they are 120.00. I found the same thing on Ebay for 25 bucks shipped. I might try and pull it apart tonight and see what it looks like.....Man I hope its the same....Once again this site comes through.Cat happyCat happyCat happyCat happy

Will keep you posted.
Lime

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
that mustang pump is for efi not carbed,, like i had explained
85 f 250 with 460 is carbed and has an in tank pump that works on the vtwin cats,, that mustang pump will blow the lines right off the carb

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that mustang pump is for efi not carbed,, like i had explained
85 f 250 with 460 is carbed and has an in tank pump that works on the vtwin cats,, that mustang pump will blow the lines right off the carb
Thanks, Sorry I guess I missunderstood your post. I will check out the F250 pump.

Thanks,
Lime

1 - 10 of 10 Posts