Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing a service on a 98 polaris xplorer 300 4x4 and was hoping someone knew what it takes for trans fluid and front diff fluid and the amounts. anything besides the normal for a serviceing? going to change the three little inline filters, air filter, front diff and trans fluid (when i know what to get), tighten the chains, and put a batt tenderizer on it for him. the clutch cover he also wants replaced and i ordered that with the gasket and looks fairly simple/similar to ac. anything to watch out for there?

for those not familar this has a clutch setup with a transmission with three chains (mabey 2 but looks like 3 to me) to run the 4x4. quite a different set up for sure.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Have you posted this on a Polaris forum? Or are ye skeert you'll be tarred and feathered? Or maybe worse...going over to the dark side and getting talked into buying a Plars?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
All I know is if wasn't for Polaris wheelers my buddys small engine shop would be closed, thats all he works on are those pieces of Crap

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haven't because if i can't find out by monday then i will just go to a polaris dealer and ask them the speficiations and buy the trans fluid there, but dealer is about 40 min one way so if i can find out if lets say bell ray 75w is good in the trans and the front diff take regular diff fluid then i can go to local parts store (5 miles) and get the stuff.

·
Registered
297 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 7 2007, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Have you posted this on a Polaris forum? Or are ye skeert you'll be tarred and feathered? Or maybe worse...going over to the dark side and getting talked into buying a Plars?[/b]
Don't let it happen spank: I lot if the guys I ride with have Po.... polaris I call my Cat ... The Polaris Recovery Vehicle :super_happy:
So one has to keep you on the right trail :catwins
SM Cat badcomputer

·
Registered
54 Posts
Polaris- special fluid- front axel take one kind, trans take another and the rear axel takes 80-90 gear oil.
I have a 2002 700 sportman that my son likes to get deep in the mud and the Cat pulls it out. But let me tell you the Polaris is a blast to run over the deep mud.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, this one is older with the stright axle in the back (chain drive) and chain drive front also.
ordered a new clutch cover also, thats what they wanted, service and a clutch cover

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
for the trans it just say's "chaincase lube" it also does not state how much. the front diff, is basically the same as the rear. it just gets grease, make sure to grease the center shaft also. on the transmission shaft, behind the rear disk brake there's a grease fitting, it's just a brass bushing and really needs the grease. there are a lot of grease fittings on them so make sure ya get them all, every last moving part. when ya adjust the rear chain, use a ratchet strap(or a really fat guy) to compress the suspension. then adjust the chain or else it'll pull the chain to tight when the suspension gets compressed. while your at it check the drive sprocket for the rear end, i don't know how many miles it has on it but i just change that on my BIL's, teeth were worn right off. one other thing is to check the oil in the front hub's. remove the set screw in the side of the hub's and rotate them so the hole is at the 4 o'clock position. if no fluid comes out add some ATF type F until some dribbles out when rotated to the 4 o'clock position. change the oil in the counter balance housing, it uses 10W-30. it doesn't hold very much at all, less than half a quart.

you are correct, there are three chains on it. it's a strange set-up and it works but i don't like it. that clutch cover looks familiar, the one on the SIL's did the same thing.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where is the counter balance housing? yeah did notice alot of grease fittings and think that i got them all even the one on the front where the two chains come together. think i counted 9?
only has a little over 300 miles on it, still orginal tires and they have alot of tread on them so i am willing to bet that this has very little use.

so what would you recommend i do with the trans fluid? thanks for the help, i appricate it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
for the counter balance, remove the seat and look down on the right and side down along the carb. it should have a little knob on it along with a groove for a flat head screw driver. this is for the 400 i believe it's the same on the 300.

i believe there's 16 grease fitting's i'll try to make a list

ball joint's
front A-arm's
tie rod ends
steering post bushing's (upper and lower)
transmission output shaft (behind rear brake rotor)
rear axle bearing
swing arm bushings
center shaft (jack shaft for front end)
front shaft (diff)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks again
on the tie-rods only the outer ones had zerk fittings, only saw the lower steering shaft one but will search for the upper one, none on the ball joints
did the rest and the u-joints also in the fronts, forgot to add them, so i found 11 and mabey one more (upper steering shaft)

just went and check, no screw or anything to the right or left of carb, this one is 2-stroke also
all sprokets look good too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i forgot about the u-joints. the 400 is a 2 stroke also, but that doesn't mean that it has the counter balance. i've never had to add any to the BIL's. as far as the trans fluid go's just give polaris a call and ask them what they call there, chaincase lube.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you have been a huge help, got my self into to working on this because a buddy at work told his neighbor ( from the city, only comes up acouple times a year) that he knew someone that could service his atv cheaper than the local dealers 75 ph cost and of course i said yeah i would.
it is accuately fairly easy to work on and hasn't been beat/low miles so nothing major wrong with it and i want to do the best job i can.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
went to local dealer this morning, just for reference bullrider the 350 and 400 have the counterbalanceing system not the 300 says them. they couldn't tell me the exact amount either on the trans fluid he said "between 12-18oz i think" but either way one quart of this liquid gold (12.95 plus tax) should do it.
thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
on my old scrambler 400 with a counter balancer I used 5w30 full synthetic oil wetclutch compatible just to be safe. If I over filled it oil would spit out the breather vent that was on the top right side of the engine. I think it only took like 9oz's or something like that. It wasnt much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts