Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW. The power of that motor is un real. I love the rider foreward chassis, I'm coming off of a 2000 ZL 500, so my socks have been smoked off! I do have a couple of querks with it.

Stock settings on the front shocks, are they as soft as I think they are? I mean I bottomed them out 4 times in the first 280 miles.

Also the stock setting on the front shock in the rear skid, I bottomed that out pretty good about 6 times.

When I romp on it out of the corners I can't steer, damn ski's are in the air. It looks cool to all my buddies but hell, I can't ride as fast as I normally do, what should I adjust?

POWDER RIDING - I broke it in - In hurley Wisconsin. Trail conditions were terrible, there was between 24-40" of FRESH UNTOUCHEd, UN BLAZED powder on the trails. I meann they were so bad, I finally had to learn how to carve "Slednecks" style. Turn right to go left and turn left to go right, pull on the outside bar, step to the inside and gas it! It's like it turns into one big skiing boat! I love it! Trails were simply insane with it, I literally was blazing trail for 60 miles, with snow depths of fresh POWDER around usually 36" as high as 45" + plus heavier snow under neath. The 800 sucks some gas...comparing to my 500!

Also, we picked up a turbo 660 ST. AWESOME sled. Does NOT like to carve, Does not like to be in deep powder as it is heavier than hell. But the turbo ST on the regular trails is truly a great trail sled.

Pictures to come soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
:thumbsup: glad to hear u like the sled. It's one awesome machine,

I've got a hair over 1000 miles on mine and for a while there as i piled on the miles, the sled seemed to loosen up and performance went up noticably also, engine wise. No trouble what so ever either, although at 500 miles, I brought it in to have the oil pump adjusted. but that is it. As far as your shocks and bottoming out go, you'll just have to play with it till u find the perfect setup, took me a while, of course i'm about 240 with gear. But bottom line, awesome machine on trail or in 2 feet of fluff.

Also got a chance to put some miles on an '07 F8 last night, man what a smooth riding machine, didnt seem to have the pull that the Crossfire has, but I'd suppose maybe that's in the gearing. but man for a smooth ride, turned on a dime as well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WFOphotography @ Mar 7 2007, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
WOW. The power of that motor is un real. I love the rider foreward chassis, I'm coming off of a 2000 ZL 500, so my socks have been smoked off! I do have a couple of querks with it.

Stock settings on the front shocks, are they as soft as I think they are? I mean I bottomed them out 4 times in the first 280 miles.

Also the stock setting on the front shock in the rear skid, I bottomed that out pretty good about 6 times.

When I romp on it out of the corners I can't steer, damn ski's are in the air. It looks cool to all my buddies but hell, I can't ride as fast as I normally do, what should I adjust?

POWDER RIDING - I broke it in - In hurley Wisconsin. Trail conditions were terrible, there was between 24-40" of FRESH UNTOUCHEd, UN BLAZED powder on the trails. I meann they were so bad, I finally had to learn how to carve "Slednecks" style. Turn right to go left and turn left to go right, pull on the outside bar, step to the inside and gas it! It's like it turns into one big skiing boat! I love it! Trails were simply insane with it, I literally was blazing trail for 60 miles, with snow depths of fresh POWDER around usually 36" as high as 45" + plus heavier snow under neath. The 800 sucks some gas...comparing to my 500!

Also, we picked up a turbo 660 ST. AWESOME sled. Does NOT like to carve, Does not like to be in deep powder as it is heavier than hell. But the turbo ST on the regular trails is truly a great trail sled.

Pictures to come soon![/b]

Coming from a Zl to a Xfire will definitely take some time getting used to in the corners. Took me awhile going from 01ZR800 to 04F7 and your jump is much bigger. I find the Firecat's like to carry more speed into the corner with as much weight as I can get forward, when the ass starts to drift, try to hold it, and when your lined up, you can get back on it. If you give it too much throttle when you get back on it coming out of the turn(as in instantly WOT) you'll get inside ski lift, pushing, and/or the outside track edge will catch. You have to give it just enough to keep the drift going and when your lined up then go to WOT. Once you get it, you'll be passing them in no time. If you have studs, its the same thing only you won't be drifting. The Firecat chassis requires more driver input (weight forward) and a smoother throttle than the ZR chassis, not sure how much of that translates to the Xfire. I alsways felt I could pretty much go WOT as soon as the ass would come out in a corner on my ZR and it would hold the turn.

You can also adjust your limiter straps a little tighter, adjust the coupling blocks, tighten the spring pre tension, etc.

Is your sled a snopro or std. suspension?

I'm pretty jealous of your powder riding, sounds like a blast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts