Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can start my atv when its hooked up to jumper cables to my truck but as soon as i disconnect either cable the quad dies... My battery is dead so its not even.hooked up right now... Could that be the problem or should it run by itself with no battery installed? Thanks for the help...

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Is this a serious question or are you joking??? Try taking that battery out of your truck and see if it runs.

What kind of 4 wheeler? Year, make, model, EFI, Carb????

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bike is EFI.. it will not run without a battery.

Reactions: brokendown2012

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the miscommunication... What i meant was the battery in my atv is deae so i removed it from the quad... Truck runs fine, lol i hook the jumper cables to the leads on the atv and it runs. Disconnect them and it dies. I just didnt want to put my new battery in and it drain it... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sorry for the miscommunication... What i meant was the battery in my atv is deae so i removed it from the quad... Truck runs fine, lol i hook the jumper cables to the leads on the atv and it runs. Disconnect them and it dies. I just didnt want to put my new battery in and it drain it... Thanks.
You have to have a battery in the bike for it to run. Just like you're pickup or car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
your car or truck will run with out a battery once started will run off the alternater or in the ATV the generator poor set up if stranded in bush

·
Registered
978 Posts
A pickup or car will run no problem with no battery. Once started the alternator supplies all the power it needs. Being an auto mechanic for over 20 years I have ran many vehicles with no battery. These quads must be different.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Is this a serious question or are you joking??? Try taking that battery out of your truck and see if it runs.

What kind of 4 wheeler? Year, make, model, EFI, Carb????

Your car or truck will run without the battery once you have it started as long as your alternator is working, try it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

I have the same problem in my 300 4x4. I replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier, and that did not fix the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I have the same problem in my 300 4x4. I replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier, and that did not fix the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Get a copy of the service manual and go through the procedure to test the stator coils. Also look for burned wiring or poor connections between the battery and the voltage regulator output and the Voltage regulator input and the stator.

If you have charging problems, Basically there are just 4 things to check, wiring between the battery and the voltage regulator, the Voltage regulator, wiring between the regulator and the stator and the stator it's self. Also a 5th problem area, that is a BAD battery, quite often batteries shout out internally or fail to take and hold a charge. Poor ground connections can also cause problems.

A wiring diagram and a Volt/Ohm meter is helpful when trouble shooting. Diagrams can be downloaded for most cats from the mower parts link for service manuals that has been posted 1000's of times on this forum and link also found in my signature. Even if a wiring diagram is not available for your particular year or model getting one that is closest in year and model might be helpful and close enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can start my atv when its hooked up to jumper cables to my truck but as soon as i disconnect either cable the quad dies... My battery is dead so its not even.hooked up right now... Could that be the problem or should it run by itself with no battery installed? Thanks for the help...
Hey I have the same problem did you ever figure out how to fix the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem

Hey I got the same problem did you find out what the problem was? Could really use some help

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
Hey I got the same problem did you find out what the problem was? Could really use some help
These are really old threads and most of these people are no longer here. You will have much better luck starting your thread with your issues.

Reactions: mrbb
1 - 14 of 14 Posts