Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 1900 miles on my 06 650 vtwin,

Today when I started my bike it started fine but won't idle it just dies, it will start right back up an if i hurry an put it in gear it will run fine but as soon as I let off the gas it dies, I checked my fuel filter its not cloged the air filter is clean what else could it be ??

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
either to low idle speed (coulda dropped do to cold weather) or dirt in the carbs (probably pms screw)

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 10 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
either to low idle speed (coulda dropped do to cold weather) or dirt in the carbs (probably pms screw)[/b]

so should i be able to turn the idle speed screw an possible fix it

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
it's where to start, do you know what speed it will idle at? could be bad spark plugs also.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you think this is something that would be covered under warrenty ?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
no, but two spark plugs and a can of carb cleaner don't cost much either.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm changeing the plugs now

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just changed the plugs an sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs an it idled for about a min then it quit ?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You may have a choke sticking on, the 650s are noted for that!Have you run any seafoam in your gas? Its a miracle cure in a can !

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its funny you should mention seafoam I did add some anout 15 mins ago I also sprayed some more carb cleaner in/on my carbs and its idleing fine now Cat happy i'm gonna pour some seafoam in my carbs tomorrow. THANKS FOR ALL THE QUICK RESPONCES !!!!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well today I started it up an it did the same thing it died once i let the gas go, but after messin with it for awhile i relized that if remove the air filter cover an the filter it would idle fine then after letting it idle for a few mins I could put the filter an cover back on an it would do fine ?? I cleaned the intake to the air box but it was already idleing fine so I will have to wait till the morning to see if it fixed the issue

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Have you oiled you air filter lately? To much oil will act as a choke .

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i did oil it yesterday i'll wash it off in the morning

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The filter needs a very light film of oil on it.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LIL-WILL @ Nov 11 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i did oil it yesterday i'll wash it off in the morning[/b]
put the filter in a ziploc bag and squeeze all the extra oil out.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have a k&n so I will just wash an dry it then install an see if there is any difference

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i cleaned the filter but it still won't idle, so i swapped the k&n for the stock one with no oil on it an same results, so i removed the filter completly an it stated to idle, (now once it starts to idle i can put the filter back on an it does fine ) ???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts