Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total newbie here (mechanically speaking too) and looking for suggestions on next step(s).

ATV: 2016 500 model, purchased new.

Background on recent issues that have lead to where I am now: Bike stopped working one day, wouldn’t start. Long and short of it is the starter relay and starter motor needed to be replaced. Did that and everything seemed to be fine again. Bike ran for about a week or so (used daily), then one day took hay out to the paddocks and bike wouldn’t start up again to get back...sounded like it didn’t have enough juice in the battery to turn over the motor. Bike has been pushed into the garage for now.

Battery shows at 12.7 volts (and it’s been sitting for a month in the cold).

All connections are tight (no loose bolts or nuts that I can find) and electrical harnesses seem well seated.

Boosting to try to get it started doesn’t work.

Symptom: when you try to start it, it barely turns the motor, sounds like half a ’chugh’ and then just clicks at the solenoid. This behaviour repeats fairly consistently...although sometimes you don’t even get the half turn of the motor. Every once in a while bike throws the Fuel Off error with C0064 code, but this is not consistent nor predicable. Tip sensor harness is well seated, FWIW.

Any suggestions on what’s next to try? Is the battery possibly the problem here even though voltage seems ok?

Chris

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
I had a battery that showed good voltage but could not crank the engine. Once it was load tested it was determined it was shot. Get yours load tested. One thing that many people suggest is a battery tender for these newer machines with electronic displays. Especially important if rarely used and/or left out in the cold. And one other thing, DO NOT have boosting vehicle running while boosting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a battery that showed good voltage but could not crank the engine. Once it was load tested it was determined it was shot. Get yours load tested. One thing that many people suggest is a battery tender for these newer machines with electronic displays. Especially important if rarely used and/or left out in the cold. And one other thing, DO NOT have boosting vehicle running while boosting.
Ok, took battery in to get load tested today and was told it was alright. There may be a bad cell as after 20-30 seconds of loading it would drop off to around 8.6 volts, so I suppose perhaps it's not in perfect shape, but should be good enough to turn over the motor a few times before quitting I was told. Ugh...any other thoughts...or am I dealer bound?

·
Administrator
42,267 Posts
Replace the battery, they are very voltage sensitive. I believe service manual says no lower than 9.5 while cranking.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Any quality battery the same size as yours will do. Yours is a 20 series. Personally, I would go for an AGM battery. You pay more for them though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any quality battery the same size as yours will do. Yours is a 20 series. Personally, I would go for an AGM battery. You pay more for them though.
Update: Picked up a new battery and tried it this afternoon. The bike attempted to turn over a few more times than it did on the old battery, but still no success. When I say 'tried to turn over' I mean in the slowest sense possible...like ch-ch-ch-chugh and then every subsequent attempt from then on gets worse until it can't turn over anymore. I'm gonna try pulling the starter out again to make sure something hasn't gone bad there. It was aftermarket purchase (Kimpex), but seemed to be very strong when first installed, but at this point not sure what else could be at play.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Pull the spark plug. Does it turn over way faster without plug in? Put a new plug in so you know it will spark good. Try it. If it turns over very very slowly with a new fully charged battery I'm thinking it may be the decompression valve spring failed on camshaft. There's a small spring on camshaft. When turning over slow, this valve keeps two valves open slightly until it starts. Once it starts, this valve is held out with centrifugal force. How many miles on it? Have you ever checked or adjusted valves?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull the spark plug. Does it turn over way faster without plug in? Put a new plug in so you know it will spark good. Try it. If it turns over very very slowly with a new fully charged battery I'm thinking it may be the decompression valve spring failed on camshaft. There's a small spring on camshaft. When turning over slow, this valve keeps two valves open slightly until it starts. Once it starts, this valve is held out with centrifugal force. How many miles on it? Have you ever checked or adjusted valves?
Ok, I'll try this first, thanks. Only has 500 km on it. Bike would have had valves checked by dealer when it went in for a separate issue back in summer of 2018.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I'll try this first, thanks. Only has 500 km on it. Bike would have had valves checked by dealer when it went in for a separate issue back in summer of 2018.
Alright, sorry for delayed reply...been cold as heck here and working on the bike in an unheated garage is just no fun! I pulled the spark plug this morning and the bike wouldn’t even attempt it’s usual slow chugh. I‘m getting a click sound from the starter relay and voltage tests ok coming thru from one side of it to the other, so it’s ruled out in my mind. I then pulled the starter, applied 12 volts to it using the battery and got nothing! It doesn’t even attempt to spin. I just replaced this around mid December....could it really be bad already? Going to approach to shop where I bought it to see if they’ll supply me with a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.