Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 artic cat 4x4 250 it will not start with the elec starter until it’s warmed up , I can pull start it and it starts once it warms up i shut it off and it i will be able to restart using the elec start . I was thinking spark plug ? I just put a new battery in. ANY HELP PLEASE !

·
Administrator
7,608 Posts
Could be a number of things. Connections, tired or dirty starter, cold weather.. Buddy owned an 04 400 that would not start via the starter when it was below freezing temps. He hit the starter button and pulled the rope at the same time and it would fire. Start with every connection, next hook jumper cables up to it form a NON-RUNNING car-vehicle. These 2 things wont cost much. What weight oil is in it? I assume its turning over slowly? Welcome to A-chat.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Along with what tiggershark recommended did you make sure battery was fully charged?
IMG_0670.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn’t have any issues with it in cold weather at all she fired right up but then it just started doing this , also Battery is fully charged brand new just put it in it turns over quick like it should this just started happening recently, oil and filters were just changed I believe what tiggershark said it may be a wiring connection somewhere in the harness maybe I’m going to go that route first and check, thanks for the info and help appreciate it If you guys can think of anything else while I’m running wires I appreciate it

·
Administrator
7,608 Posts
If its turning over fast enough, maybe the coil or anything spark associated. It isnt getting enough juice to the spark plug. Try a new plug first. The spark plug cap. etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks tigershark
I just put a new plug in it and no success I’m going to try wiring harnesses next see what happens maybe frayed wires or something thanks anything else you guys can think of I’m all ears 😁 I really hate to go to a dealer smh I built 3 bikes from junk but this one has me baffled

·
Administrator
7,608 Posts
If you can, put the plug in the cap and ground it to the cylinder head as in not threaded in. Pull the starter cord and check for spark. It should be a nice blue color, next hit the electric start and check for spark, if its weak or there is no spark, then check the wiring from the starter button all the way back to the starter. It might be that the starter is pulling the electric away from the coil. ( if that makes any sense)... It's probably in the wiring which would be the least expensive to fix but might be the hardest to find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks appreciate the info , I found the wiring harness had a cut in it I replaced the harness and success 😁 this is the best forum I’ve been on yet all good advice thanks again.

·
Administrator
7,608 Posts
Nice to hear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts