Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
In terms of performance about the same, maintainence wise, I pick the round shaft, much better, stronger design than that of the hex clutches.

Hex clutches have 2 main issues:

Bushings that can wear out

Sheaves that are prone to cracking at the set screw holes

Other than that, they are basically the same clutch.

Round shaft is also a bit more "sturdier" because of its splined shaft. Much easier to work on and put back together I think.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panther440 @ Dec 19 2009, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In terms of performance about the same, maintainence wise, I pick the round shaft, much better, stronger design than that of the hex clutches.

Hex clutches have 2 main issues:

Bushings that can wear out

Sheaves that are prone to cracking at the set screw holes

Other than that, they are basically the same clutch.

Round shaft is also a bit more "sturdier" because of its splined shaft. Much easier to work on and put back together I think.[/b]
thanks man i know my hex clutch was a pain having to replacing them bushings. so i decided to find one then isn't a hex shaft. i found that 73 on ebay and bought it for my birthday. it works great. thanks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Only thing is the round clutch needs to be kept up and kept clean. People not keeping the clean was one of the reasons they had a big recall on them and replaced them with hex clutches in the mid 70's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader440 @ Dec 19 2009, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Only thing is the round clutch needs to be kept up and kept clean. People not keeping the clean was one of the reasons they had a big recall on them and replaced them with hex clutches in the mid 70's.[/b]
do i need to keep the whole clutch clean? or just where the blet runs?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cheetah73 @ Dec 19 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The inside should be kept clean also. Especially where the spider rides those three big steel pins. Don't allow those pins to rust or get any gummy residue on them. ALso keep that big nut on the outside very tight and use the locking piece of sheet metal under the big nut to keep it firmly in place. Use an impact wrench to prevent any crank stressing/bending while tightening the big nut. I prefer the roundy also because they can be pulled off easy with a homemade steel slug(in picture) to put behind the big nut. The one I took apart recently had a mouse house. Would be funny to start it while he's in there to make his world turn. Reminds me of the Gravitron ride at the state fair :barf:
[attachment=142324:motor_003.jpg][/b]
thanks for the help. poor little guy! he wouldn't even know what would be going on! haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts