Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike just started stalling. I'd start it up let it idle and then a sputter and die. I got to keep on the throttle if not it'll just die, but when it does warm up after the fan kicks in once or twice it'll be fine. Meanwhile when I do give it gas during idle it backfires, well when I really crank the throttle. It was pretty cold, dropped to around -30 with the windchill.

Now would anyone say this is due to the cold weather, normal for cats? Or would you base it on something else, water in the carb? etc.. And I did just clean the air filter, and broke those two damn clips underneath the plastic, you know just above my glove box. Any suggestions there too? lol... Thx guys..

·
Registered
332 Posts
My bike does the same sometimes, I have to turn the idle way up for awhile. I have run Seafoam in it and it doesn't help, it seems that the electric choke is not opening all the way. Not sure how to fix that. As far as the plastic clips mine broke 2nd day I got the bike. What I did was buy 2 of the plastic moly things that hold the covers over the ratiator on. I drilled close to where the broken tabs were and installed them. It looks stock. Suckes they break so easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Perhaps you have the same electric choke the 400/500 have ... lots of unhappy owners ... the choke for the 06 400/500 auto is an electric choke that is timed for 3 mins ... once the time is up, choke goes off ready or not .... and the kicker is, turn the power/kill switch off ... and then back on the timer starts all over, warm or not. Perhaps you are feeling the wrath of bad Arctic Cat engineering as well??? Some ppl have had luck with them, I had mine replaced on warranty, and the second one is the same, after the choke goes off, your throttling until it's hot :(

Oh yeah, same set up. http://www.worldofpowersports.com/oem/fich...-cat/index.html

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
As mentioned, it sounds like your auto choke is doing what it does best.......screw up. As I had previously posted, in cold weather, the choke will get the machine running but will not hold or maintain proper fuel flow to keep the engine running as the engine warms up. When the engine begins to falter, turn in your idle screw to keep the revs up. Allow it to rev until the engine is warm. When the engine begins to rev higher, that's a good indicator that the engine is warming up. Turn out your air screw to slow the engine down. Once the engine is warm, it should be fine. If not, you may have water or dirt in your fuel system. Run some methyl hydrate (gas line anti-freeze) through your system first just to see if it is water. If that doesn't fix it, it's time to check fuel system and carburetor for dirt. Here's another tip, if you turn the engine off, and you go to restart, the choke will come on again even though the engine is hot. As such, the engine will rev higher than normal. This has caused my Cat to resist going into gear and grinding results. I find this displeasing as well. A way to get around this is by leaving the machine in gear when you shut if off and use the foot brake to start in gear.

If anyone knows an e-mail contact at AC to lodge complaints about this p.o.s. system, I'd (and many others) would appreciate knowing what it is. Those of us who have been having trouble with these auto chokes should loudly complain to AC and demand a reliable working choke system to replace these pieces of crap.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
First of all guys in -30 you are running stupid lean. You are stock jetted for +60 A big help is going to a 42 pilot jet and add the Thumb screw replacement for the pilot fuel screw and adjust for conditions. Here in Maine in just a 7 day span it was +65 on day then -5 two days later. I have this setup and it works wopunders when extra cold. Just out a 1/4 turn or so in the cold then back on those warm days.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (650 Crazy Cat @ Jan 19 2007, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First of all guys in -30 you are running stupid lean. You are stock jetted for +60 A big help is going to a 42 pilot jet and add the Thumb screw replacement for the pilot fuel screw and adjust for conditions. Here in Maine in just a 7 day span it was +65 on day then -5 two days later. I have this setup and it works wopunders when extra cold. Just out a 1/4 turn or so in the cold then back on those warm days.[/b]

That's a good idea, I can't get anything in to adjust the air screw on mine with the carb in place as it's like 3" off of the crankcase ...... where did you get yours?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had the same problem with mine, wouldn't idle properly in the cold. I complained about it several times to my dealer and threatened to phone A/C direct then I got some action. I took the bike in and they installed a carb heater kit. They told me that the cold temperatures were turning the choke on and off and there wasn't enough heat generated while in motion or standing still to keep the choke operating properly. This fixed it completely. I have no issues with idle and I've run it in -30 celsius. I had this done two years ago and it hasn't failed yet. I dont' know about a timer on the choke circuit, maybe so, but I can shut mine off hot for a couple of minutes and restart without having that warm up period. Ten minutes or so and yes then the choke turns on but the warm up period seems to vary on how long it has sat. Which makes me think the choke operates on temperature. This fix wasn't covered by warranty, my dealer was nice enough to cover it for me.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (650 Crazy Cat @ Jan 19 2007, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
First of all guys in -30 you are running stupid lean. You are stock jetted for +60 A big help is going to a 42 pilot jet and add the Thumb screw replacement for the pilot fuel screw and adjust for conditions. Here in Maine in just a 7 day span it was +65 on day then -5 two days later. I have this setup and it works wopunders when extra cold. Just out a 1/4 turn or so in the cold then back on those warm days.[/b]

Where does a person get the replacement screw, who makes it and what's the part no.?

Thanks for the simple solution.

·
Registered
81 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 19 2007, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (650 Crazy Cat @ Jan 19 2007, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where does a person get the replacement screw, who makes it and what's the part no.?

Thanks for the simple solution.
[/b][/quote]

Found a place :) http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?...34-01AD4FDFB41D ... now if they ship to Canada :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine stalled left right and center when it was brand new in the summer... Now that it's well broken in, and I've adjusted the valves, it's great, other than being a bit cold blooded when I first start it up. I think mine is probably leaned out on top, especially since I've lost a good 15+ mph off the top end compared to the summer, but, it doesn't matter what temperature it is, it always smells pig rich at idle.
Looking at parts fiche, it may well be possible to adapt a manual choke setup from an 04 or so to a newer machine.

Johnny: Cape Breton eh? What part? I'm originally from the Judique area.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thx guys for answering my concern, this is my first ATV, only issue I had was this and was curious as to what it may be.

F100SWB I'm from the Bay Bye (Glace Bay).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well this morning I thought I would try something different, so it's -12ºC and I put a blow dryer blowing on the choke assembly for 5 min before I started it just to take the frost off of the metal and to determine if warmth/heat in the carb was part of the answer. It started up 2,000 rpm, ran for aprox 3 min and settled into a nice 1,300 rpm hum and gave me no grief .... perhaps a carb warmer is an answer to this frustrating problem

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
When it was +5 out the other day I just turn the key on while standing next to the bike and hit the start button the bike MAY turn ove 1/2 a revolution and fires right up. My point is a properly tuned pilot circuit will work the best. The thumb screw will allow you to adjust for the extreme temp change. EFI does this for us.

Here is where I bought mine. good price but they come in pairs for $40. I just sold the extra one on here after. This sight sells alot of parts that fit the 34mm 36mm and 40mm CVK all take the same style jets and so on.
Thumb screw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts