Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 arctic cat 3000 lbs winch on my quad has a mind of it's own when it decides it's going to work or not.

I followed the instructions in the pinned section on how to clean the winch. The gear side looks brand new. The electric motor side looks a little rough. I can tell water has gotten in there at some point. I cleaned out all the junk in there and put it back on the quad. Same problem. Works intermittently. When I test the two wires going to the winch they have power when I hit the switch but the winch only works about 50% of the time.

So I don't think it's a bad connection or bad relay/solenoid. If I gently tap the end of the winch I can usually get it working.

I'll try taking the electric motor apart again and looking at it closer.

what else can I try? Is it worth getting it rebuilt at an alternator shop or just buy a new winch? Seems like a waste to give up on it when the rest is in great shape.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Check the magnets and brushes. What winch is it?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
could be a bad IN/OUT switch, I have worn out about 12 of them over the yrs plowing snow and so many in/out's while doing so

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the electric motor all apart. Cleaned everything and used emery cloth on the metal windings which was all rusty. Seems to work fine now. Time will tell though.

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Just an FYI,Never use emery cloth or any type of sandpaper on the commutator as fine particles from the abrasive can imbed into the soft copper and cause premature or odd brush wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
doorfx
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing