Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys I would like some input form you.

I received a Warn 3000 winch kit from Arctic Cat for Christmas specifically for my 700 TBX. I have followed the instruction booklet. Everything bolts in quickly and fits well. I would have preferred color photos in the booklet as the black and white photos really are poor if you looking for detail.

So here is my question. I am running the red positive and black negative cables now trying to follow the directions. However the cables that were supplied seem about a foot longer then really needed.

Are there any installation experts out there that can help me run these wires. For example do they go over the top, bottom or the side of the radiator. Do I run them along the frame, inside the front shocks to avoid contact. When you get the cables toward the rear of the atv do go over the top of the gas tank or go under it and come up to the battery.

Otherwise what I am planning is just running the red under the radiator and the black across the top. Then inside the frame as best I can and away from the front shocks. Then along the right side of the engine to avoid the exhaust and across the top along side the starter solenoid and the on top of the gas tank and loop the excess into a circle before attaching it to the battery.

Thanks for your advise. Craig

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Where did you mount your contactor ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sure what you are referring to as the contactor but if you mean the solenoid for the winch it was mounted on the right side of the frame and right of the radiator. The ATV already has two predesigned mount holes for this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Could it be the instructions put out by Arctic Cat on installing this winch is written in a way to make it quicker and easier for the technicians (See my later comments below)

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
It's not a solenoid, it's a contactor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah OK I understand now. I had to search that term on google. The Arctic Cat installation booklet that came with the winch refer to it as a solenoid. As stated the Contactor (Solenoid) was mount on the designed holes on right side of the frame, which is right of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
2 things... hook the winch cables to the battery, hooking them elsware is just adding a possible problem to the mix.

Personally i would take the contractor and shuffle a few things around under the seat. I think the stock mounting location is poor. Its in a prime area for mud, water, etc. You can go to local automotive store and get some new connectors and cut the cable and make 2 short connections to get to the batt.

Only reason AC put those holes their is to make installation quicker for the tech's

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the insight on this. The installation manual actually states that I should run the red power cable from the contactor to the starter motor terminal. This of course is powered from the battery through the starter solenoid located under the seat.

I called and talked to a service technician at Country Cat in Minnesota, where I purchased the kit, because I was a little confused. The kit I purchased # 1436-805 was specifically for the 700 TBX and Diesel but the positive and negative cables are 36 inches and it would only take about 24" to run it from the contactor to the starter terminal. The negative lead was to be run to a bolt on the engine again about 20" from the contactor.

The technician advised I run the cables directly to the battery, which ZRock advises as well. It appears the direct battery hook up is the best recommended method.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Think of it this way. Everytime you add a connection into the mix you create a bit of a voltage drop.. as per normal bolts will corrode thus creating more voltage loss...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While searching this sight further I found a forum discussion that spells it out exactly. Written my a service tech Texasrapier

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/utility-performance-technical-info/296021-winch-solenoid-placement.html

If it's a late model Arctic Cat ATV the soleniod is going to mount to the inside of the right front bumper support. it's located mid way up the side of the radiator and runs forward to the bumper. there are holes already drilled for it to mount to.

In the kit IF it's the right one for the bike there should be two plastic switch housing and 4 black long screws. one of the housing will match the contour of the bottom of your left hand switch assy. you will use two of the screw to replace the screws that are there. the factory screws are to short to attach the new accessory switch mount.

Wiring. Long Main Cables. Heavy red and black. They go to the battery, Red to positive black to neg. hook these up last!!!!! they go to the red and black terminals on the soleniod.

Wiring Short Main cables. Blue and yellow. Again match the color on the solenoid and winch terminal yellow go's on the green terminals, blue go's on blue.

Control wiring. mount the switch housing on the left control, push the switch into the housing. make sure the writing on the switch is where you can read it normally when on the seat. small black plate and screw go on the back to hold the switch in.

Remove the six black quick pins on the black center body plastic. one front, over radiator, then the glove box then the one in front of the handle bars.

Route the contol wires down the handle bars and down through the hole in front of the handle bars and route it to the plug on the soleniod. plug it in.

On the control wiring you just ran about in the middle there is a 2 wire plug with black and orange wire on it. just in front of the handle bars on the main wiring harness there is a matching plug, plug it in.

Connect wires to battery, turn key on and test and see if it works. you have to have the key on for the winch to work.

If everything works zip tie all you wiring up and put the rest of the bike back to geather.

Do you think I've done this a few times to quit the intire procedure from memory. Yes I have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just when I thought I was ready to finish this up I ran into another problem with the wiring. If you read my earlier reply I copied a series of instructions that was produced in another discussion by a techician with the handle Texasrapier. His comments are like reading it from the instruction book.

Here is my problem now. The control wiring that operates the switch that is mounted to the handlebar has a plug that ties in with the Contactor (solenoid). There is also a two wire plug with a black and orange wire that is suppose to plug into a matching plug under the front cover .

I have pulled the plug and I find two black and white orange plugs that are already being used.

What should I do now? Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Do you have hand warmers or any other accessories ? What year is your machine ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi there, I found a post you had written regarding the installation of a Arctic Cat winch kit.

I am still installing this winch kit on my 2012 700 TBX. Just when I thought I was ready to finish this up I ran into another problem with the wiring.

Here is my problem now. The control wiring that operates the switch that is mounted to the handlebar has a plug that ties in with the Contactor (solenoid). There is also a two wire plug with a black and orange wire that is suppose to plug into a matching plug under the front cover .

I have pulled the plug and I find two black and white orange plugs that are already being used. In otherwords there is nothing to plug into.

Last year I had a dealer install heated grip warmers on this ATV, could they have used one of those plugs. I did not unplug it to check but thought I would write first for some ideas on this. Could I splice into something to make this work.

What should I do now? Thanks for your help

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Arctic cat makes a special two prong plug that you "tap" into the same plug as your hand warmers are on. Look under your seat , behind or below your airbox there is another unused plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for responding and providing some thoughtful ideas. I was kind of hoping they would have a two prong plug that I could use to tab into.

I will probably seek that option. I was also aware of the accessory plug under the seat as that is the plug I used initially when I installed my hand warmers.

Failing to get the two prong plug I will use the second option.

Thanks again for your help

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
Just plug your hand warmers back into that plug and plug your switch into the steering column one or vice versa.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plug on order. I actually purchased a three into one adapter just incase I have something in the future to put on as well.

Thanks for all the help

·
Administrator
35,437 Posts
No problem !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
3 Participants
doorfx
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing