Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at my neighbor's over the weekend enjoying the snow and he ran into a problem with his winch not holding up his plow. If we lifted the plow by hand, the winch would pull the rope in but if we tried to make the winch do the work it would just "click".

I recall reading a topic (a LONG time ago) that mentioned the gears in the Warn 2500 are plastic so I can only assume the 1500 isn't built heavier. Is there a gear kit to buy and repair this thing (like metal gears?) or does he have to bite the bullet and go for a heavier winch? Almost forgot to mention that his 'wheeler is used for work and doesn't go mudding or anything like that.

TIA
Blu

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
tell him to get a venom they are prolly less expensive then the parts for the warn. a 3000# venom is about $90+shipping. and their smaller winches are less than that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks. I'll have him check into that. I was telling him that Warn has a strong brand name, but I'm sure that there are others that work just as well for less $$. That is the key here.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Gorilla winches also are good, and they use the same bolt pattern as the Warn's. I don't know if the venom do or not?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Check to make sure its not half way to freespool and that it is fully engaged. If its still a problem take it apart before you get a new one may be cheaper to repair and I'm sure there are rebuild kits for them.

Good luck

WC

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Jan 22 2007, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gorilla winches also are good, and they use the same bolt pattern as the Warn's. I don't know if the venom do or not?[/b]
Todd, my venom bolted right up to my mounting plate. but i do have an early model 05.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Planetary gears are probably full of mud and crap. My 2500 was doing the same thing. Soaked the gears in solvent, regreased whole assembly and now it works fine. They 2500 and 1500 are not waterproof. So unfortunately, the soupy water gets in there and leaves the dirt to plug up everything. Just something you might try. LATER...

·
Registered
170 Posts
I HAVE TAKEN ABOUT 6 WARN 2500# APART TAND THE EARS ARE NOT PLASTIC AT ALL. THEY ARE ACTUALLY A HEAVY METAL. I AM WILLING TO BET IT IS JUST PAKED WITH MUD AND DEBRIS. TAKE IT APART AND CLEAN IT OUT REAL WELL. THEN YOU CAN MAKE A GASKET AND PUT SILICON AROUND IT TO WATERPROOF IT. WORKS GREAT. I USED A RUBBER MEMBRANE I GOT FROM A HARDWARE STORE FOR THE GASKET.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrashinIt @ Jan 23 2007, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I HAVE TAKEN ABOUT 6 WARN 2500# APART TAND THE EARS ARE NOT PLASTIC AT ALL. THEY ARE ACTUALLY A HEAVY METAL. I AM WILLING TO BET IT IS JUST PAKED WITH MUD AND DEBRIS. TAKE IT APART AND CLEAN IT OUT REAL WELL. THEN YOU CAN MAKE A GASKET AND PUT SILICON AROUND IT TO WATERPROOF IT. WORKS GREAT. I USED A RUBBER MEMBRANE I GOT FROM A HARDWARE STORE FOR THE GASKET.

GOOD LUCK[/b]
Oh, ok. I just thought I had read that they were plastic somewhere. Wait, you're not trying to tell me that not everything on the internet is true are you? :eek: :lol:

You gotta love the free fixes. I'll give it a try to pull it apart and clean it out. Its not like we'll be out anything.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blu_by_u @ Jan 23 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrashinIt @ Jan 23 2007, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GOOD LUCK[/b]
Oh, ok. I just thought I had read that they were plastic somewhere. Wait, you're not trying to tell me that not everything on the internet is true are you? :eek: :lol:

You gotta love the free fixes. I'll give it a try to pull it apart and clean it out. Its not like we'll be out anything.
[/b][/quote]
Well, tore into it last night. The only thing plastic is the housing. And wouldn't you know it, that is the part that failed. There is a pin that under normal winching operations fits into a groove on a collar inside and makes the planetary gears rotate the spool. To free spool the winch, you have to turn a knob about 90degrees and that lifts the pin to allow the collar inside to spin. It appears that the plastic hole where the pin fits in is wallered out (for lack of a better term) and won't hold the collar.

Does anyone know where a guy could buy parts for a Warn 1500?

thanks,
Blu

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Just to clarify, some Warns do have plastic gears and some have all metal. I have not noticed a pattern (year, model, etc...) that defines which get which, but there are both out there.

As for parts, you may wanna call Warn direct and see if you can order that part.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 1500 did the same thing. The housing that the free spool knob is on (if it is an early model) has to much material removed under the knob. If the winch cable has been drawn up tite without some sort of fairlead protecter it cracks the housing under the free spool knob. When you engage the winch and put it under load the housing seperates and the pawl under the knob will not hold the spool engaged. I could not see a crack after I pulled it off, it only seperates under load. I'd like to say I figured it out. I did'nt, I called Warn and a very nice young lady said " yes we had a problem with the early 1500 models ". She then told me what the problem was, sent me an updated part at no cost. It fixed the problem and boosted Warn, one notch up in my book. (they were already pretty high). Hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts