Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I took my rear winch off and took it all apart and cleaned it up inside and out. I figured that while I was doing that, I should take pictures along the way and make a tutorial for anyone that may not know how to do this. Sooooo, here you go. Hope this helps someone at some point in time.

In case some of you noticed and are/were wondering, while I did this I also changed out the handle on it as a test. I didn't note how to do this on the instructions since it was a test and I don't know how the outcome would be. I didn't want the validity of the other info to be put in doubt because of that.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very nice, cant wait to get started!! Cant imagine how much crap is gunna be in mine. Thanks for the great write up!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
thank you for the great write up. just got done cleaning my winch. never thought about cleaning it til i seen this. thanks again for the time you put into that

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Great write up. There are a few upgrades that can be done to make the gorilla/viper/venom winches bulletproof-you can buy wider (in diameter) bushings that go on each end of the spool. These bushings help side load and also assist in keeping your winch cable from going over the edge of the spool and binding up. The other mod I've done and I haven't seen anywhere else is buying 2 more of the chrome bars, deleting the two bottom half moon plates, and installing the new bars in place. The real pulling limit to this winch in my opinion, is the gear cast into the end of the spool. Under extreme loads, the winch modified with two extra bars will not flex at all, and winch stays tight and right. Without the two extra bars, the winch has two bars at the top stopping lateral flex, but uses the mounting bolts on the bottom to keep from flexing and mounting the winch at the same time. Adding the two bars at the bottom makes your winch bulletproof. I regularly use my 6 year old $129 viper 2000 lb winch to pull extremely heavy and awkward loads up on to my 20 ft trailer. I have it permanently mounted there and it has yet to disappoint me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts