Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a Venom winch? They compare themselves to warn but are half the price.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
i had a venom with nothing but trouble and it was toast in less than 6 months and venom wouldnt replace it. i bought a gorilla outback series and in half the time i have put twice as much use and abuse on this winch and it keeps going some people have had great luck with venom i highly recomend gorilla

·
Registered
429 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (black monster @ Feb 7 2007, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
They compare themselves to warn...[/b]
I'm sorry but that statement should tell you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Venom is just a named "no name" winch like the ones on ebay for 99.00. If you want a good winch, 1=warn, 2= ramsey if you want to save money buy one of the 99.00 ones.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
theres no doubt warn is #1 but there huge money and i would typically agree yo get what you pay for but if my gorilla keeps going like it is now then ill have to reconsider that statement

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had a Venom 2500lbs i douno if it was made on a monday or a friday at but all i had was trobble fixin it day on it and i had to replacse the contactor 2 times and drum assembly 1 time and it seem like every time i uesd it the rotator gear went out every time and the cable broke so many times i had to get a new cable and the company wouldn't stand behide before the 90 days so i just gave it away and got a uesd warn and a new warn for both of my arctic cats and the uesd one i got off ebay and as work great for a yaer now and the contactor went bad but got a new one and works great the person i got it off of had it on a arctic cat 650TRV but i like the warns and i am sold on warns

·
Registered
551 Posts
Somebody knows better than i do but i think the warn 3000 and higher are watertight. Other brands who knows... Water, mud inside a wich = problems. Warn may be expensive but when you are 50mi off road is saving a few bucks worth it?

Like they say: Go Warn, Go Prepared!

I've got a warn on my truck. It got rear-ended by a dumptruck with a full load plus a dump trailer with a full load. Still works! My bumper was hanging but the winch is fine!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (remotruker @ Feb 8 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Somebody knows better than i do but i think the warn 3000 and higher are watertight. Other brands who knows... Water, mud inside a wich = problems. Warn may be expensive but when you are 50mi off road is saving a few bucks worth it?

Like they say: Go Warn, Go Prepared!

I've got a warn on my truck. It got rear-ended by a dumptruck with a full load plus a dump trailer with a full load. Still works! My bumper was hanging but the winch is fine![/b]
The warn 3000 has a lifetime warranty, that does it for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buddy of mine went with a mile marker winch. So far so good. not as cheap as gorilla or venom but it seems to be well made. They claim the military are using them.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The gorillas seem to be good quality.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Gorilla has a waterproof line now that has the 2000, 2500 and 3000lb winch. I had a 3000 regular winch on the back of my (now sold) V2 and it worked great! I have since replaced my Warn 2.5 in the front of my H1 with the waterproof 3000 Gorilla and so far so good (granted it's only been a couple weeks).

Much like has been discussed on here before about any product, service of the product after the sale is huge.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought my Mile Marker 2500 from costco for 130 shipped. So far so good, but I havn't done anythihg serius with it yet. I figure for the 350 a warn costs I can by 3 milemarkers. If you are a mud freak riding major crap way in the back country or use your winch constantly get a warn or ramsey, if you only use it to lift a plow and maybe once or twice a year in the back country why spend that much money. Look around and see how many people have problems with thier Warns it is a bit suprising. Any manufacuturer can make good and bad units.

Good luck with a difficult decision.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well gonna give the Venom a try. I just ordered one direct. 111.98 shipped to my door. Package includes free wired hand held remote, the mount plate and of course the winch. I figure for that price if I get a year out of it I am golden. Rarely used the winch on the polaris but nice to know you have one in the time you need it. Too cheap I guess to spend cash on the warn. I will get a write up and photos when it comes in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would think that you would indeed tend to see more posts about a Warn problem versus the other brands simply due to the volume of warn winches being used. Once Gorilla and Venom have the sales volume that Warn has then I would have to believe the amount of complaints would rise proportionately. I like Warn simply because in my case it has been dependable and it is well known for quality and dependability. Granted you are going to pay more for the Warn name, but I would suggest you get what you can afford in all areas. Get the best winch the best tire and rims, and the best quad you can afford. Not everyone has $400 or more to spend on a winch, but when the time comes that you can afford it always get the industry leader and that's a Warn. And always mount it on a CAT.

Just my two cents

06 500i auto
2500 Warn winch
ITP series 5 rims
ITP Terracross tires
Magellan GPS
60" Eagle snow plow

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree with sat4314. Of course I also think that the 3.0 is the way to go as it's fully sealed and there has yet to be a post about one of these failing.

In fact, if anyone has seen a post about a Warn 3.0 winch failing on any site I'd like to see it.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
GWH, the Waterproof 3.0 line of Warn winches hasn't been out all that long....year and a half at most. So I think to sat's point, once more get out there, you'll hear more of issues. However, I do think Warn makes a good quality product (they wouldn't be where they are if they didn't) and truthfully, I don't forsee many posts about any of their winches having issues aside from the "one off" issue that any mass produced product will have from time to time.

That said, I have a Warn in the rear of my ATV (came as the stock front winch) and a Gorilla 3k waterproof in the front. I'm likely going to sell my Warn and get a Gorilla and make a couple bucks doing it. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Mar 7 2007, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
GWH, the Waterproof 3.0 line of Warn winches hasn't been out all that long....year and a half at most. So I think to sat's point, once more get out there, you'll hear more of issues. However, I do think Warn makes a good quality product (they wouldn't be where they are if they didn't) and truthfully, I don't forsee many posts about any of their winches having issues aside from the "one off" issue that any mass produced product will have from time to time.

That said, I have a Warn in the rear of my ATV (came as the stock front winch) and a Gorilla 3k waterproof in the front. I'm likely going to sell my Warn and get a Gorilla and make a couple bucks doing it. :)[/b]
You bring up a very good point. Makes me wonder how long Venom and Gorilla have been making winches.

Then again, if you're looking for an economy winch that's been around, I wonder why no one's mentioned SuperWinch. They make ATV winches that fit the same footprint as the Warn's and Ramsey's.

I had a 4000lb SuperWinch on a Jeep CJ7 once. Couldn't pull the Jeep out of anything unless I had a winch block and at least some traction, but it always worked.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I don't think Gorilla has been around very long...I believe just a few years, but they have really come into the fold in the last year or so. Venom is the same in that regard. Warn has been around...well...since forever. :)

For a guy like me, I can't afford to drop $800+ for two winches, so I'll go with the cheaper ones AS LONG as they are still quality. They don't have to be the Ferrari of winches, but I don't want the Yugo of winches either. At some point, the pricepoint gets negated by quality, and vice versa.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.