Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rebuilt my zr 600 motor thats efi and its just not the power I would have expected, time to move up. I want to know if a zr 800/900 motor zr3 chassis will fit in my 1999 zr 600 zr2 chassis? Thanks for the help!!I dunno

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I am going to sell the complete 600 motor, no components would really work well together anyways. Would the motor mounts line up and would the pipe be that much of a pain with hood clearance? Thanks a ton guys!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Just rebuilt my zr 600 motor thats efi and its just not the power I would have expected, time to move up. I want to know if a zr 800/900 motor zr3 chassis will fit in my 1999 zr 600 zr2 chassis? Thanks for the help!!I dunno
You should look at everything else before you blame the motor for not making power. The ZR 6 isn't a monster by any means but it's no slug either. Its all about getting power to the ground...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
A single pipe should fit not problem. The best way to do it is find a wrecked sled for cheap, something with a bent tunnel or where a ski went into a culvert. Take the motor, sell yours and part out the rest of the sled. If done right, it'll probably cost you nothing, heck, you might make some.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the clutch redone and the chaincase and gears redone, the entire motor was rebuilt, track hooks up like no other and still get my doors blown off by little sleds. It will win the 0-45 but thats it. I have found motors for 1000 bucks on ebay but still needs electrical and pipe. Another question, is it better to go with efi still or is carb the better way to go?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I had the clutch redone and the chaincase and gears redone, the entire motor was rebuilt, track hooks up like no other and still get my doors blown off by little sleds. It will win the 0-45 but thats it. I have found motors for 1000 bucks on ebay but still needs electrical and pipe. Another question, is it better to go with efi still or is carb the better way to go?
Carb will likely be cheaper route. I like efi for the simplicity no tearing apart to clean sync etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if i just buy a zr 800 and take the complete motor out and put it in, everything will bolt right up and be perfect? Wouldnt the bearing plate and jack shaft bearing already be with the complete zr 800 motor? My stator went on my zr 600 just tonight and im done sticking money at that motor.

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
So if i just buy a zr 800 and take the complete motor out and put it in, everything will bolt right up and be perfect? Wouldnt the bearing plate and jack shaft bearing already be with the complete zr 800 motor? My stator went on my zr 600 just tonight and im done sticking money at that motor.

more than likely no as it is part of the frame and the motor unblots from it. The part is probably a foot and 1/2 long. everything will bolt. Pipe may or may not clear the pastics. Your bulk head is the same as the 800s but the bodys are different

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a ton guys, I wanna do this build right and I have one more question. Would both my clutches work for the 800 or are the 800 clutches different? I completely rebuilt the clutch and didnt really wanna part with it, just wanna know if that can be used with the big 800 motor?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
800 clutches since 2002 have a 33mm taper. 2001 and earlier have a 30mm taper. The 600 also has a 30 mm taper. If the 800 engine is 2002 or newer the 600 clutch won't fit.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Just read a few more posts here. If you are going to buy a zr 800 to get the motor, why are you swapping? If you have to buy a complete sled then just ride that one. If you already have a 800 motor then swapping would be fine. You would be much better off in the long run just fixing the stator, selling the 600 then buying an 800. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a zr800 motor in a 440 chassis last year I did have to use a single pipe but it was a pretty easy project you will need both 800 clutches and jack shaft, wiring, etc as stated above. It would be easier just to replace your stator and sell your sled and get a different one but than again where is the pride in that and the last I checked that's what being a cat man is all about

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the clutches. As for the fixing and selling, my 600 body is in great shape, i like it a lil more than most of the bodies from the 800s so I would fix and sell the 600, buy an 800 complete sled, take 800 motor into the 600 and part the rest of the 800 out to make my money loss minimal. And also it makes for a great sleeper sled that still looks great. I attached a pic of my sled just in case people think im dropping money into a pile of junk sled when its far from it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just read a few more posts here. If you are going to buy a zr 800 to get the motor, why are you swapping? If you have to buy a complete sled then just ride that one. If you already have a 800 motor then swapping would be fine. You would be much better off in the long run just fixing the stator, selling the 600 then buying an 800. Just my opinion.

I was telling him buy a wrote off one, take the motor, sell what good parts are left and probably make money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts