Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this month I posted about my 1993 Wildcat 700 EFI hitting a wall at 6500 rpm. Now that there is finally have enough on the river I tried to see if I could get it to rev past 6500.
This is what it does.
It runs great up till 7000 rpm or about 60 mph, but if I try to go any faster it just studders and wont rev any higher, if i put the throttle to the handle bar it will slow down and kind of back fire until I either let off the gas or it gets down to 40 mph or so.
I checked the plugs just to make sure it wasn't running lean and its not
Some of you mentioned to change the coil so I did, that didnt change any thing, I also changed the wires, and caps, plugs and pritty much the whole EFI system. That pritty much leaves the stator or the CDI box.
I can post a movie of me running it if that would help,
Does any body have any other Ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Clutches, belt or have you checked the intake boots for cracks, especially on the bottom of them.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You need to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail while riding the sled. It must be 36 psi and not fall when run at full throttle. If it falls. your fuel pump is bad and must be replaced. Do not store the sled with an empty gas tank. The pump must be immersed to keep it wet inside or the seals will be destroyed when run. This has happened to me and the pump is expensive.

BP

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I am no EFI pro but it "sounds" like it could be coil or stator. Test the stator and see what it reads. If you have another coil you can borrow that you know is good, put it on and see if it clears it up. My sled would only miss/sputter at high rpms and it turned out to be bad coils. I went through 2 sets of them when some people say "They never go bad".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive put three different coils in it, they make no difference in running, The primary clutch is new, and I rebuilt the secondary last year after the pucks broke.
I put two new intake boots on when I rebuilt the motor this fall,
I put two different fuel pumps in it last year because the pump sucked up some paper towel and burnt one pump out and the other one didnt work, I changed the pressure regulator and cleaned the injectors also. I took the fuel pump out of a running sled last time, But I will check the pressure just in case

THanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey I too have a '93 Wildcat 700 E.F.I. with the same problem except mine won't rev past 4500 RPM..

Did you find your solution? I guess I will check my stator/coils/throttle body boots etc and see what I come up with.

If I find the problem I will let you know too !

Any help would be great!

Also, since these sleds run on a battery....if the battery is good would the stator really even be an issue unless the battery voltage was low?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brdmh44 @ Dec 28 2009, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also, since these sleds run on a battery....if the battery is good would the stator really even be an issue unless the battery voltage was low?[/b]
The spark is generated directly off the stator for these models. The battery will run the injectors and fuel pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ahhh thanks for the info.. I have a good feeling the stator is crapping out then since it's a brick wall at 4500 RPM

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IT RUNS... my brother blew up his Wildcat so i took out the stator and put it in mine. The stator was bad. It has never ran this good before, it pulls wheelies like no tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts