Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad added a 2 inch handle bar riser so I could stand up more and I noticed when we got home from Flatt Rock Inn that if you turn it the the right it revs up and almost takes off. Then last nite, my hand warmers shut off. Is there anything at all I can do with out it being removed. Im 13 5'3" riding a sled to small and really need this riser. Also it doesn't like to turn with it on either. Cat happy

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
You should be able to have a 2" on a 99 and just cut the zip ties. Is it possible he may have missed one on the bars or behind your tool/air box?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Raise the hood, slowly turn the bars to the right and watch the linkage on the carb for movement. Don's right you shouldn't have any trouble with a 2" riser. Dog

·
Registered
609 Posts
re-routing the line above the tool kit helps, but like stated above, stick it in the pouch, as you won't be able to get at it. i put a 2" on mine for a while, and could have gone to 4".

for your handwarmers, they could have been chafing on something, and could have split a wire. That happened to mine, one slice and it was good to go.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
2" is not a big deal, unless you didn't get the pivot kit, my 96 Z 440 does the same thing, tip the carbs slightly to the right and cut all zip ties, when you only put a riser on without the pivot it pushes the bars up and further back towards the back of the sled and it pulls on the cables a lot, when you have the pivot you can go strait up and even a little forward witch does not pull on the cable much. Try and tilt the bars forward as much as you can and slightly tip the carbs to the right side of the sled a little bit, it may continue to rev up a little while turning all the way to the right, but atleast it wont rev up enough to take off.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Just a side note, back in the day I had a Skidoo 640 Nordic and I was only 13. It had a single throttle cable that branched off into two. My Dad put a new cable on and it was abit to long so he wrapped it around the handle bar post to take up the slack. After fueling up at the local gas station ,I turned the bars all the way to the right and away she went , wide open. Slammed into the side of a brand new Opel Caddet. Ski's went under the car and the bumper of my sled caved the whole side of the car in. Took and ass whipping that night and then grounded from the sled. After about three weeks my dad gets on her to take for aride. Turns hard right to go between our cars and away she goes, full throttle. He got lucky and made it between the cars and hits our utility trailer. The skis strattel the tire and it starts driving the trailer sideways. I ran up and shuts the key off and walk away. Things were never the same between my dad and me after that, it was more like a man to man thing after that. He knew I had not lied about it and wasn't just hot rodding like he thought. One of if not the best experiences of my life. Ron.

·
Registered
21,410 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (omercityman @ Jan 3 2010, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just a side note, back in the day I had a Skidoo 640 Nordic and I was only 13. It had a single throttle cable that branched off into two. My Dad put a new cable on and it was abit to long so he wrapped it around the handle bar post to take up the slack. After fueling up at the local gas station ,I turned the bars all the way to the right and away she went , wide open. Slammed into the side of a brand new Opel Caddet. Ski's went under the car and the bumper of my sled caved the whole side of the car in. Took and ass whipping that night and then grounded from the sled. After about three weeks my dad gets on her to take for aride. Turns hard right to go between our cars and away she goes, full throttle. He got lucky and made it between the cars and hits our utility trailer. The skis strattel the tire and it starts driving the trailer sideways. I ran up and shuts the key off and walk away. Things were never the same between my dad and me after that, it was more like a man to man thing after that. He knew I had not lied about it and wasn't just hot rodding like he thought. One of if not the best experiences of my life. Ron.[/b]

Boy you were lucky! Jeeze! At 13 I only had a 340 TNT! Not worthy:

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (insaincat @ Jan 3 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (omercityman @ Jan 3 2010, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a side note, back in the day I had a Skidoo 640 Nordic and I was only 13. It had a single throttle cable that branched off into two. My Dad put a new cable on and it was abit to long so he wrapped it around the handle bar post to take up the slack. After fueling up at the local gas station ,I turned the bars all the way to the right and away she went , wide open. Slammed into the side of a brand new Opel Caddet. Ski's went under the car and the bumper of my sled caved the whole side of the car in. Took and ass whipping that night and then grounded from the sled. After about three weeks my dad gets on her to take for aride. Turns hard right to go between our cars and away she goes, full throttle. He got lucky and made it between the cars and hits our utility trailer. The skis strattel the tire and it starts driving the trailer sideways. I ran up and shuts the key off and walk away. Things were never the same between my dad and me after that, it was more like a man to man thing after that. He knew I had not lied about it and wasn't just hot rodding like he thought. One of if not the best experiences of my life. Ron.[/b]

Boy you were lucky! Jeeze! At 13 I only had a 340 TNT! Not worthy:
[/b][/quote]
Rick I would of loved to had that 340 TNT. Have you ever tried to handle a 639 pound tank when you were 13? We went to Rodgers City and there was three feet of snow in the woods, this sled was useless. Ended up borrowing a 292 Olympic and it was great, went everywhere and even chased the local bears out of the dump. Ron.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvxrider @ Jan 3 2010, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
get throttle and break line extentions[/b]

That's one idea of a fix, but you shouldn't need them with a 2" riser on a 99.

·
Registered
57 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Jan 3 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvxrider @ Jan 3 2010, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
get throttle and break line extentions[/b]

That's one idea of a fix, but you shouldn't need them with a 2" riser on a 99.
[/b][/quote]
true i have a 3 inch on my 98 zr 500 and it revs a bit when cranked to the right but a 2 ich there should be no problems with it

·
Registered
419 Posts
my 98 does the same thing with a two inch but its nothing major, you could just tilt your bars more straight up so the cables arent as tight. then just adjust your throttle and brakes to the height you want them at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My ZL tried taking off across the garage the other day after adding a 3" riser. Luckily I hit the kill switch after it shot the track dolly's half way across the garage. I just had to reach in and adjust the throttle cable a little bit and it's been fine ever since. Lesson learned though, use a jack stand to keep the track off the ground after messing around with anything to do with the handlebars or throttle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
These stories of sleds taking off are hilarious...spit my beer all over the computer screen. Wish there were a few videos to go with them haha! Hope the op gets his problem resolved.

·
Registered
186 Posts
could it be a replacement cable that is a hair shorter than stock? Maybe someone bought a el cheepo cable and its just shy of what you need. at the very worse you will need just the throttle cable extension. 29.99 from powermadd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I threw on a 3" block riser on my 01 ZR 500 and it flooded the hell out of it, to the point it would no longer start. I had to take it off for now. Figured if I have to but the extensions im going to find a 6" riser and do it right the 1st time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My 2+" riser was pulling on the throttle and other cables a little after first install. I took apart the handlebar bad, undid the wire ties, and fed a little more slack wire up from below. I also opened up the steering post opening in the plastic so the cables didnt hang up. My riser goes up and foward as well, so if yours goes up and back following the steering post, then it might make the hangup worse.

I think you just need to try and reposittion all the cables and pad to give your self some room. Just check i out fully in the shop before riding again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts