Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 zr 600 EFI and it seems to bog out after about 10 min of riding, it only bogs at around 7000 rpm if you hold it at a steady speed/rpm. I run premium fuel (no ethanol), synthetic oil and Dexcool antifreeze (the orange stuff). I just had the engine completely rebuilt about 350 miles ago ($1,800) it has good compression the sled has a total of 7234 miles on it. I am wondering if its has anything to do with the thermostat because the temp light comes on only after I shut it off then start it again. The light goes off within 20 seconds. If I unplug the witre on the head that goes to the thermostat (I believe) the light wont go on. I am so frusterated with these money pits my brother just came home on his skidoo with a broken steering colum and my friends polaris needs the tunnel re rivited. Skidoo, arcticat, polaris, whatever to me all these machines are junk unless you have alot of money. Once I fix mine Im sellin it and gettin outta the sport. Any suggestions on WTF is goin on would be awesome and once Its fixed Ill either trade for a truck or sell it thanks.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
1- Get the Deathcool outta your engine...........not good for automotive engines / worse for sled engines.

2- Go through and recheck all your connections, pretty sure your temp light issue is connected to the running one, if able try another sender but ONLY AFTER checking n cleaning your connections.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the engine is running normal at other rpms I would say problem could be with clutches or belt. It could be causing your engine to overheat also you could just have a air pocket in your cooling system.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
what I have done in the past is to use a candy thermometer and place the thermostate into a pan of water. Bring up the temp. on the stove and see when the thermostate opens and how far it opens. Just might be the problem. Definatley worth checking into. No $ involved just time.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Campbell @ Jan 7 2007, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whats the easiest way to drain the coolant? (done it befor but made a real mess) thanks[/b]
I have 5 gal. pail with 2 hoses coming out of it... 1- goes to my shop vac and the other 1 goes to my drain on the water pump on my cat... pull the plug and turn on the vac. and all the coolant get sucked into the pail... no mess... then I can reuse the coolant after... sucks it out pretty fast to... :thumbsup:

BM...

·
Registered
25 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tcat446 @ Jan 7 2007, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what I have done in the past is to use a candy thermometer and place the thermostate into a pan of water. Bring up the temp. on the stove and see when the thermostate opens and how far it opens. Just might be the problem. Definatley worth checking into. No $ involved just time.[/b]
Boil the water first, once boiling, drop the thermostat in and it should open in less then a minute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts