Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just burned down my 03 zr900 for the third year in a row. I'm so sick of that knot in the guts feeling at WOT. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars. And then more thousands and thousands of dollars on that sled. I had a so called" motor guru"do port and pipes, clutch ect. ect. Then spent the next two years trying to repair the damage he caused(long story). badcomputer

This last burn down happened last week in Maine. Of course ,once again someone in our group had to tow me to a bar, then ride back get the trailer ect. ect. bang your head I ruined everyones ride(no one complained but you know) I just wanted to puke!......Only diffrence this year is I took that sled on the trailer to the cat dealer blown up. He took it on trade and I walked out the door with a orange f1000 lxr for 8600$ :super_happy:

I told all my buddys here's a bat if I even think about touching this sled, please take that bat and smash my head in with it!LOL.

Then I come on this site and I see people talking about ypipes and airbox mods and boondockers and pipes!!!! To each his own, but as for me I'm bone stock from here on in!

Besides this sled not even broke in is faster than my zr9 all decked out. And handles ten times better!

I have learned my very expensive lesson!!!!!!And believe me aftermarket companys do lie!

·
Registered
412 Posts
LOL... pretty honest story there guy! My good riding bud did the same thing with an EB F6 two years ago. Bone stock would beat EVERY 600, nearly ALL but the VERY fastest 700's (including many if not most F7's), nearly all 800's, most ZR9's he ran against, and yes, even the average Thundercat... true story. Well, that just wasn't good enough, and he fell for the F8 trap. Ran OK... when it was running, but he spent more time wrenching and rebuilding than riding... not to mention his $7000 F6 in the long run ended up costing him near $12,000... $2000 less than I just paid for my '07 F1000!

Having said THAT... it's a sickness for sure. He then went up to an 1132 last year. Not QUITE as bad as the F6/F8, but nonetheless, it was still always something going wrong or breaking. He downsized to a mostly stock 800 ZRT for this year. LMAO... that only lasted about a week before he decided he wasn't happy with that, so now he's back up to a... whoops... can't say or else I'd have to shoot ya... or he'd shoot me... LOL!

My take is... if you want the BEST possible chance of the most reliable, fun, and cost effective sled... FOR THE LONG RUN... KEEP IT STOCK AND ENJOY IT FOR WHAT IT IS!!! There will ALWAYS be something faster out there. So what.

The bigger problem now is...

NO FREAKING SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I honestly think I'm starting to get SICK over the way this "winter" is panning out at this point! – Roy

·
Registered
96 Posts
mods are great if done by the right people and are tested,even that doesn't take that stomach knot away at full throttle. anyone who has blown up knows this feeling.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I am keeping my F8 stock, except for a few things, like removing all decals, changing the silver body panels, taller riser, skis and maybe handguards. The engine and everything else will stay stock for all those reasons you just listed

·
Registered
479 Posts
Then that one cold afternoon on the lake in March happens ..last weekend of the season w / you new bad boy..all is good...about 4pm... brisk 20 deg.,a couple of inches of new snow on ice..your feelin' it..gonna be a good summer..and then>
...".let me run that out of state f1000 that was buzzing everyone .. lets see if my broke in 170 hp stocker ..will show this stud whatever"..

Your get faced by snow and ice dust..he leaves on u by 3 ,," Whoa,, my studboys must be dull from all that great trailriding'..wait Ill catch him to make it repectable..after all my buds are lookin from the bar..!" well after 1000 feet u feel like Brittanny w/o draws trying to get out of a limo.
"Lets run from a roll"..u say. After all lets be fair."Stock or modded ?",u yell through the fog and ice on your facemask.
The stranger in the black full face w/ no decals replies" Put your hand up @ 30mph..Ill be behind , and we'll kick"... Hmmm...? "I got 'em now"! "Wait//whats that..all the Guys are out of the Bar....yea i know I was the King of the pack , I did womp all ther asses..but ..mabe that want me to really kick his interloping ass back home..yea .that the ticket!"

Roll from thirty...nail it ...great start.. " This biatch is hookin now!".."whoa ..were did he come from..Lookin at my tach..not overrevin".Holy Ghost of Edgar Hetten!..did i just get nailed w/ 6 sleds and a bunch!?"...You shut if off after u loose sight of the billet mudflaps,.
A semi friendly wave over to your brief encounter opponent..exchange pleasantries .. then see the Boondocker and EGT gauges..121 track..a slight rasp in the can...and sweet smell the VP gas fumes,wafting in the heavy dusk air.

Your buds walk over the lakes edge as u make a gallant face saver entrance to the Bar..U dont even stop to talk.
They know better to bust you...but they have no problem going over to the new King after the joust ..mabe even buyin' him a drink.

You walk back to your (horse) sled..sheepishly open the hood to check for a loose spark plug wire ..(?).. then mutter under breath, (some thing like this ,anyway)..
" Steed, You betrayed me before...you let me taste power .but did not warn me of the more powerful enemy in my kingdom!"

Later that week, at home ..You get on the internet, bookmark the Shop/parts sites.. prices?..a pittance for my honor restorethed..! and bravely lay out your battleplan for the upcoming winter crusade$.

...To be continued. Im sure.

MAN LAW!. snowmobile syle! Rockerdude

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Then that one cold afternoon on the lake in March happens ..last weekend of the season w / you new bad boy..all is good...about 4pm... brisk 20 deg.,a couple of inches of new snow on ice..your feelin' it..gonna be a good summer..and then>
...".let me run that out of state f1000 that was buzzing everyone .. lets see if my broke in 170 hp stocker ..will show this stud whatever"..

Your get faced by snow and ice dust..he leaves on u by 3 ,," Whoa,, my studboys must be dull from all that great trailriding'..wait Ill catch him to make it repectable..after all my buds are lookin from the bar..!" well after 1000 feet u feel like Brittanny w/o draws trying to get out of a limo.
"Lets run from a roll"..u say. After all lets be fair."Stock or modded ?",u yell through the fog and ice on your facemask.
The stranger in the black full face w/ no decals replies" Put your hand up @ 30mph..Ill be behind , and we'll kick"... Hmmm...? "I got 'em now"! "Wait//whats that..all the Guys are out of the Bar....yea i know I was the King of the pack , I did womp all ther asses..but ..mabe that want me to really kick his interloping ass back home..yea .that the ticket!"

Roll from thirty...nail it ...great start.. " This biatch is hookin now!".."whoa ..were did he come from..Lookin at my tach..not overrevin".Holy Ghost of Edgar Hetten!..did i just get nailed w/ 6 sleds and a bunch!?"...You shut if off after u loose sight of the billet mudflaps,.
A semi friendly wave over to your brief encounter opponent..exchange pleasantries .. then see the Boondocker and EGT gauges..121 track..a slight rasp in the can...and sweet smell the VP gas fumes,wafting in the heavy dusk air.

Your buds walk over the lakes edge as u make a gallant face saver entrance to the Bar..U dont even stop to talk.
They know better to bust you...but they have no problem going over to the new King after the joust ..mabe even buyin' him a drink.

You walk back to your (horse) sled..sheepishly open the hood to check for a loose spark plug wire ..(?).. then mutter under breath, (some thing like this ,anyway)..
" Steed, You betrayed me before...you let me taste power .but did not warn me of the more powerful enemy in my kingdom!"

Later that week, at home ..You get on the internet, bookmark the Shop/parts sites.. prices?..a pittance for my honor restorethed..! and bravely lay out your battleplan for the upcoming winter crusade$.

...To be continued. Im sure.

MAN LAW!. snowmobile syle! Rockerdude

Not worthy: BEST post EVER on any WEBSITE.
BTW... That guy that SPANKED YA i'll bet was from ILLINOYZ slaphappy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:rofl: LOL ....nice! that is funny!

Only you left out the part where we leave to go home, and on the lonley ,dark ,cold trail is my new friend with his hood up like a flag of shame. Not even looking at the motor cause he knows whats wrong(the knot in his gut told him). I pull up with my stocker open my storage trunk,and pull out and dust off my tried and trusted tow rope that has been used on my very own zr9 several times.

I tow my new friend to the gas station so he can call for a trailer. I leave him with my words of advice that echo loudly in the dark cold air...."KEEP IT STOCK YOUNG MAN!!!"

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f1pete @ Jan 13 2007, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:rofl: LOL ....nice! that is funny!

Only you left out the part where we leave to go home, and on the lonley ,dark ,cold trail is my new friend with his hood up like a flag of shame. Not even looking at the motor cause he knows whats wrong(the knot in his gut told him). I pull up with my stocker open my storage trunk,and pull out and dust off my tried and trusted tow rope that has been used on my very own zr9 several times.

I tow my new friend to the gas station so he can call for a trailer. I leave him with my words of advice that echo loudly in the dark cold air...."KEEP IT STOCK YOUNG MAN!!!"[/b]
:rofl: :rofl:,, now that's funnier yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Some of these new performance parts should come standard with a tow rope included in the box.

The only thing more embarrassing than being the guy who gets beat across the lake is being the dumb ass who burns his sled down because he got too close to the edge with his mods, & now he needs a tow to the trailer. Maybe one of your buddies will let you ride "2-up" for the next couple weeks until all your new parts come in... or you could ride your girlfriend or little sister's sled & make her sit home & drink beer instead of you?

It takes awhile to figure this out, but most everyone gets it eventually, some sooner than others.

Thing is, this still seems to be what keeps the snowmobile world going round and round. If the "I gotta have the fastest sled" mentality suddenly disappeared, it'd probably be enough to all but end the industry all together. That aspect is important for keeping the mfgs. in the snowmobile business. A lotta people buy these things for one primary reason -- to prove something. If they couldn't constantly tinker with it they probably wouldn't even own one.

So... thanks, I guess!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear ya on the two up thing! Or hows this one, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "hey Pete maybe we should bring my 96 zrt as a back up" And they were not busting my b*** just trying to be nice without hurting my feelings do to my three year track record. But I had conviced myself THIS WAS THE YEAR! I did everything right , spent alot more than last year, shes gonna hold together and be the fastest! Yup for 40 miles I dunno sucks!

I'm keeping it stock or else :Bangin: !!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (f1pete @ Jan 14 2007, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hear ya on the two up thing! Or hows this one, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "hey Pete maybe we should bring my 96 zrt as a back up" And they were not busting my b*** just trying to be nice without hurting my feelings do to my three year track record. But I had conviced myself THIS WAS THE YEAR! I did everything right , spent alot more than last year, shes gonna hold together and be the fastest! Yup for 40 miles I dunno sucks!

I'm keeping it stock or else :Bangin: !!!![/b]

With the current weather /snow situation.. that wont be hard to do.!

just dont take out your thermostat..yet. :tongue_nana:
PJ

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, the famous BACKUP SLED, that has to be one of the greatest ideas ever. Our group never leaves home without one, and none of our sleds have much for mods. We always seem to need it, too.

Speaking of no snow, this is a little off topic, but they're forecasting up to possibly 8" here in Minnesota tonite, and I'm pumped! To many that might be just a "dusting" but not here! Gotta go do some last minute stuff on my sleds. I have only 8.5 miles on my Crossfire & need to try to get that thing dialed in at home prior to going on any trips.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Keep it stock = smart move! Who really cares if you're the fastest across a lake. Check your ego at the door it will save you alot of cash in the long run.....I used to run an F-7, sure it was fast and I beat alot of sleds with it, so I thought why not clutch it, put on a can...Guess what it ran worse and it was an ods kit dealer installed.....So I had the sled in the shop getiing it put back to stock and my friends want to ride.....What to do....Take the wifes F-5...Guess what I had more dam fun on the F-5 than on my 7.....My friends with their F-7's and Rev 800 and 600's were shocked that I could keep up on the trails. I started out in last place on the trails and by the end of the day I was hanging in 2nd behind my friends Rev 800 he couldn't shake me....Could he beat me across a lake hell yea! but I don't care.....That F-5 cost about 4 grand less and I'm having just as much fun......Put the cash in your kids college account or save it for retirement.....The F-7 is now gone, but I'm still riding the F-5

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree the temptation is there to mod your sled, but the cost is quite high and you do run the chance of it seizing up on you bang your head . My Firecat 800 seized twice last year and never did run tops :oops: . I'm keeping mine stock this year but we'll see next year, when I'll know which F1000 mods worked the best and were the most reliable chflagwv: .

Another option would be aftermarket parts to lighten up you sled, therefore making it faster and more agile in the twisties & bumps. Or just go on a diet and loose 10-20lbs :lol: , that'll definitively make you faster eekkk !!

Bottom line is, there will always be someone faster than you at one time or another on the lake slomo !!

Steph

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts