Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might consider building an 800 big bore motor out of my 700 lower end if I get another engine to lay in my F7.

My question goes out to those who have ran 800 big bore kits. What do you have and what are the pros and cons you have about it?

Are the available kits compatible with the stock ECU and other components?

Im kindof wanting to know if its worth it to have a second engine with this mod as well as a stock 700 to swap out when each engine needs to be gone through respectively.
your input is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive had 2 BB 800's in a 03 and a 06 and just love the power thats why i purchased a second one. Very reliable with a good Boondocker box. I do have kit for sale in the classifeds. I have BMP bb that uses cat 800 pistons.

Are boondocker boxes required for all the big bore kits? I would love to feel the power of 800cc under that light chassis, 700 rips hard as it is. Is the BMP kit good? I have looked at it, as well as teh D&D but would love to hear actual input from those who used them.

Thanks turboblue for the insight. B B is which brand? I am not familiar with all the acronyms yet :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Are boondocker boxes required for all the big bore kits? I would love to feel the power of 800cc under that light chassis, 700 rips hard as it is. Is the BMP kit good? I have looked at it, as well as teh D&D but would love to hear actual input from those who used them.

Thanks turboblue for the insight. B B is which brand? I am not familiar with all the acronyms yet :)
Yes you would need a Boondocker box to adjust your fuel being you are jumping up to a 800 on a 700 ecu. I've been using Bikeman performance for last 4-5 years on all my upgrades since they are only 2 1/2 hours away and then i can use there dyno to fine tune everything. I would say any performance shop that sells Big Bore 800's with the cat pistons would be the way to go.

If any intrest in the kit for sale i can sell my Boondocker for a extra price, with all the safe #'s that were used on this top end.

And yes BB means Big Bore

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh cool. I was noticing that about the stock 800 cat pistons. I was definitely leaning more toward that end of things rather than a full out weird build with no stock parts. Something bad leaned the sled out and I have yet to find out exactly what it was.

What all kits use the stock 800 pistons? I am leaning more and more towards this mod if my top end isnt getting replaced for me.

My sled shop got a recommendation from Cat to put a 4 stroke 40 micron inline filter in the fuel line between the tank and throttle bodies. Anyone ever heard of this?? I think honestly it is what burned it down out there. riding between 3000 and 8000 feet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have a D&D 800.... My powervalve hung closed and caught the ring and took a good chunk outta the piston above the ring.... Other than that it RIPS!!! Good upgrade , when mine goes back together I'm putting in the powervalve spacers that bikeman sells should solve any more powervalve problems. Might go with the STM powervalves too over the electronic cat ones! And yes my BB uses stock cat pistons or will now , the one that got hurt was a wiseco but going with cat this time around! Good luck! P.s. mines a carb... No boondocker needed!!

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
Oh cool. I was noticing that about the stock 800 cat pistons. I was definitely leaning more toward that end of things rather than a full out weird build with no stock parts. Something bad leaned the sled out and I have yet to find out exactly what it was.

What all kits use the stock 800 pistons? I am leaning more and more towards this mod if my top end isnt getting replaced for me.

My sled shop got a recommendation from Cat to put a 4 stroke 40 micron inline filter in the fuel line between the tank and throttle bodies. Anyone ever heard of this?? I think honestly it is what burned it down out there. riding between 3000 and 8000 feet.
all of the big name shops use cat OE pistons now. SW, BMP, DD, ect.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of curiosity turboblue, what kind of longevity do you get out of your BB 800s?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just purchased a D&D cast kit used, replated. I have the Powercommander 5 because that is what Bikeman reccomended when I talked to them. I'll be putting it together this summer and it will be tuned by BMP.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do keep me updated about that once riding season begins again!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ran a 800 big bore kit a few years ago when I still had my F7 , had it dyno'd at dynotech got 164 hp and honestly I think I could of gotten a few more, but it was a lake running machine.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What did you get mileagewise on those modd rodd motors? My sled blew its stock top in under 1300 miles, but its had all kinds of weird stuff done to it before I bought it when it had just over 400 miles. I think its shady upbringing, and this new "modification" is what killed it. itll be nice to put a new top end on it, but if I go big bore and spend the 2+k I want to know that with proper maintenance they can last long as they do stock. I ride in the mountains between 3000-8000 feet. Sled leaned and locked in a steep climb up an 8000 foot peak, probably a 2000 plus foot climb. I was fortunate to have felt the power change just before it went PUH and turned out of my climb at the 6500 altitude mark. It was not a wide open pull, I was massaging it slowly between 3/4-full throttle.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ooo, I will research this TBC. Thank you for the info!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts