Arctic Cat Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you mean your head bolt o rings? There should be 12. Yeah, $35 is a bit much.
Meant to say 20yo..

But almost 20, anyway. There are 12 on the headstuds and 2 per cylinder. The 4 cylinder ones are ridiculous $$$

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the power of the triple and with the upgraded suspensions, they truly are hard to beat for power/ride quality/maintenance. Easy to work on and can still make em go. Newer sleds are hard to justify now a days with the lack of snow. I wouldn't want a $12-$14,000 machine sitting in the garage when there is no snow like this year for some people.

I have had an 2007 F5 and currently have a 2012 TZ1. Lots harder to work on but the trade off is nice ride in riding and handling.

I put a 2007 Crossfire skid in my ZRT and an AGLT front end mod on it. 13" of travel up front all done with other used Cat parts. Even the new stuff doesn't have this much travel up front....still. Most parts are still readily available and very affordable too.
We
With such a big change in snowmobiling over the years I was curious to see how many of you actually prefer your older sled over the newer stuff. I haven't ridden anything newer than 2005 but I also haven't ridden since 2008 either so my recently acquired 2000 ZL 500 is probably going to feel like an amazing machine haha. Post your thoughts and a pic!

i rode a 1998 zl500 I bought new rode like hell on bumpy trails but it flew past skidoo mxz 500 all day long same with Polaris Fuji 500 then I sat out a few seasons the bought a 2002 zl-500 same thing but engine had power valves and flat slide carbs shocked a skidoo friend of mine now I got a 2019 zr-600 limited with IACT big difference it’s great I’m also older and finally getting a great ride on bumps and of course very fast

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
With such a big change in snowmobiling over the years I was curious to see how many of you actually prefer your older sled over the newer stuff. I haven't ridden anything newer than 2005 but I also haven't ridden since 2008 either so my recently acquired 2000 ZL 500 is probably going to feel like an amazing machine haha. Post your thoughts and a pic!

I've enjoyed restoring 11 ZR's and ZRT's and sold off all but one. You can't beat the memories while running around lifting the ski's with an uncoupled skid: for about 30 minutes or 30 miles! For anything else I want my new sleds so that I can walk at the end of the day. A lot of that is my age.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well lots of good posts. New sleds- better mileage & better on your body for long haul days. Me, I started out on a new 1969 Massy Ferguson Ski Whiz- 18.5 hp -may start after 10 pulls if lucky--Always smelled like gas when you got off & your buddies would report to you which way the bogy wheels spit out the bottom if you attempted any serious jumps. But I loved it. I have owned several newer sleds since but I settled on an 02 ZL 6 ESR EFI with the tallest windshield & am content.. Overkilled the rebuild with new Cyls, a 1.25 CC track & a new 6 tower clutch & clutched it. I can see your point to an extent on the newer sleds ride. But I guess that old Massy spanked my ass so hard for years that I got no complaints on the ride quality of the ZL or how it handle's

·
Registered
406 Posts
With my knees I prefer my F1000. It's not so new I have a payment, picked it up for what a lot of people are asking for nice "old" style sleds. My daughter on the other likes the old style, she likes the low rider feeling and at 14 her knees are just fine. She likes the ZRT800 or her Puma 340 over the F1 or Nytro I had.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts