Arctic Cat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What I meant was that I can either ride my paid for 2000 ZL with 2400 miles, new track, just gone through by the dealer or I can spend $7,000 extra and get a new one. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me?

·
Registered
162 Posts
What I meant was that I can either ride my paid for 2000 ZL with 2400 miles, new track, just gone through by the dealer or I can spend $7,000 extra and get a new one. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me?
The only thing I can think of is if your sleds on your way out, or you have some spare cash burning a hole in your pocket. At 2400 miles, as long as you take care of it, that machine will last you many more years unless you plan on putting alot of hard throttle miles on it per year.

It was a pretty easy decision for me to upgrade. I was coming from my families z440's. All of my riding buddies had 600s or more, so I was constantly playing catch up, unless it was on the trails in the tight turns; that's where I would keep up pretty easily.

My main sled was climbing up to 6600 miles, probably getting ready for a new top end, the track had plenty of dry rot around the edges, lost a few bolts in the suspension over the last couple years and had some strain. My backup z440es had 2500 miles, but again, from sitting and not getting used by the wife, it has some of the same issues as my main. I probably had some really good life left in the backup sled, but I didn't want to keep putting more and more money on my main sled, when it's really only worth 600-800 to resell it. Plus, I didn't want to be the one breaking down on the side of the trail and ruining a long weekend of snowmobiling.

I figured, the upgrade in power, acceleration, fun factor, and reliability was worth it. I hope to have 15 more years of sledding in me, if not more, so I hope to keep them around just as long. Plus, I'm trying to get more into powder riding, which was really hard on the 440.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Who actually prefers their "older" sled?

Had this 1993 Pantera since 98. Sold a 1980 El Tigre 6000 to get it. Wasn't ridden as much when I bought my 2006 T660 TT. Sold it when I bought my 16 Bearcat.
IMG_0185.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Those old Pantera's are beautiful sleds. I have my 91 EXT Special set up as like it as much as possible...2 up seat, back rest, I just need to extend my track.

Yeah, I thought it was pure luxury after the El Tigre. Long track, 2up seat and EFI. It treated me pretty good for the 18 years other than the ECU issue. Only one injector working after storage. Cracked a ring after that. At the time it was still worth it to repair. Kinda why I sold it just in case something big dollar went on it and no used parts around.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ive got an old yamaha ovation that has the 340 in it and its so small its just super fun not a stupid fast sled but gets up and moves and is awsome for hunting up north and tight trail rides. Tracks only 108 inches long but ill have it forever as its the wifes ride and it would be a challenge to take my zrt 600 into the woods to get my deer back... i would have hated to drag them out with no sled. For all you hunters out there one was 117# the other was 121# carcas weight.. big big girls only two does ive shot that i couldent pick up and load into the truck by myself.. plus i cant see spending 8k or way beyond that for a sled. When the old 600 can hang with at least half of the new ones if not more.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Got a new M8000 2016. Gonna ride it while building my own mod sled, stand up riding style, but carbs, plenty of cooling, spring suspension, old school mechanicals. Just don't like the new drivetrain and the problems associated with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My wife prefers my older sled to her newer one. I have a 1996 ZRT 800 that I have spent the last 3 years building to my liking. It has the AGLT, crossfire 136 skid, I added 2 inches to the seat, a 2000 ZR gas tank so it now holds 13 gallons, put a taller lug track and 8 tooth drivers. Since the bigger tank didn't allow the coolant pipes to fit under it, I fitted some firecat tubes on the running boards. Added 2 inches to the width of the running boards to make more room for the coolers. Put F7 springs in the rear to soften it a bit, and added reverse. I call it the barn cat. The first ride went very well. The next trip my wife took her F7, and when we made our first stop, she complained how rough the trail was. Not thinking, told her to ride mine. That was a mistake. We rode 6 miles and stopped for a road crossing. I said you want your sled back? She very politely, but firmly said NO. Granted the F7 needs some shock service, but the damage was done. I lost my ride. Now I have to start over with my ZRT 6. I think the manufactures should take notice how well the older machines work with some new suspension technology. Make them look like a snowmobile and not a dirt bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also enjoy my older sleds. 94 wildcat, 96 ext 580 efi(wifes) and a 92 ext 550 efi(sons). I find I don't mind if they just hang out as ornaments in no snow seasons. never rode a newer one, I am sure there is no comparison in ride quality. however the price tag to replace what we have with newer would be shocking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The gf and I have a couple zl 800's. We are pretty beat up after a day of riding but this year we were only able to get about 300 miles on them due to lack of snow and time to travel north here in New Hampshire. we can not justify the price of newer sleds with the crappy riding seasons now. We probably have $3000 into these with purchase and repairs to get them on the trail.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just love the look and simplicity and ride of '90s sleds... You guys crabbing about aches and pains from a day riding on these machines probably haven't spent too many weekends with leaf springs and boggie wheels... Not long ago I was saying the same about sleds with IFS... "I'll never go back to leafs" I'd say! Lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
I also enjoy my older sleds. 94 wildcat, 96 ext 580 efi(wifes) and a 92 ext 550 efi(sons). I find I don't mind if they just hang out as ornaments in no snow seasons. never rode a newer one, I am sure there is no comparison in ride quality. however the price tag to replace what we have with newer would be shocking.
I like the look of the older sleds, hands down! I find the new sleds look too "space-age" with their straight lines, almost boxy appearance. I also have not actually driven one of the newer sleds, I'm sure they drive awesome.

As other guys have said, I'm not crazy about monthly payments when I can just drive my paid for 2000 Powder Special 600. Especially since the last two winters here in Southern Saskatchewan have been with little to no snow.

·
Registered
777 Posts
In all honesty I left the f7 in storage and brought out the zr. Didn't get a chance to ride but had I it would have been the zr first. I love that thing

·
Registered
127 Posts
My xf9000is fast, it’s comfortable, it’s a joy to ride. However I miss hearing the sound of piped triples echoing through the woods. I wish I never sold my Thundercat

·
Registered
292 Posts
I did...

But Im friggin tired of fixing the damn thing.

That, and finding parts is only getting harder.

Probably picking up a new one this week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
I did...

But Im friggin tired of fixing the damn thing.

That, and finding parts is only getting harder.

Probably picking up a new one this week.

I hear you. Once you lose that love for the old sled, and I think you have with yours, it's time. That finding parts issue is always on the back of my mind. I got rid of the old Pantera just in case and now reading a number of threads for guys looking for T660 parts, I'm starting to get worried. And even if you did find parts, it's the price on some items.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I hear you. Once you lose that love for the old sled, and I think you have with yours, it's time. That finding parts issue is always on the back of my mind. I got rid of the old Pantera just in case and now reading a number of threads for guys looking for T660 parts, I'm starting to get worried. And even if you did find parts, it's the price on some items.
Exactly. I was staggered when I saw how much they wanted for 20 o-rings.

Plus....
resizer.php.jpg

41 - 60 of 66 Posts