Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I do miss my ZR600

I do still miss my 2001 ZR600 EFI. It was my first sled and I loved how easy it started, clutch engagement was real smooth and engaged at a low 3200 rpm's! It cornered real flat, rode fairly smooth and it was pretty fast for a 600 Cat happy

But, after owning my 2014 El Tigre and 2016 ZR8000 limited I could never go back! Like what Forevergreen said, I could do a few quick trips, but I wouldn't want to ride very far on one!
My knees and back would hate me for it!

Some day when my boys get older I want to find a ZR 600 for them though.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I keep looking at the new stuff, but refuse to have payments on toys. My EXT beats me up having pull start and no reverse, but is only 6 miles to cabin from parking lot so deal with it. Wife still rides what was her mother's 74 Panther, but is e-start so good for her. I have having to admit to myself that reverse would me nice on mine, but I can still drag hers around if needed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think my all time favourite sled was my 03 ZR9.

I modded my seat and shocks and added a 6" riser and the sled was a dream to ride. Handled like it was on rails with C&A Razors.

I'm wishing I never sold that sled.

I really like my ProCross but it does not have the same excitement as my ZR9 had.

My ProCross racks up miles like crazy though and I can carry a far faster average speed over a longer riding day than with the ZR9 but it is not as thrilling.

The ZR9 was a blast to ride, an absolute adrenaline rush.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would like to ride a new procross/proclimb chassis. I have put many miles on an F7. It was a great sled. Like Tcat stated earlier, I would love an old school triple power plant with modern day suspension and rider forward positioning.

I sat on an XF 6000 at the dealership two weeks ago. It was nice. The ergonomics were great, I love the suspension, and love a long track. If I could take my 1000 triple, and stuff it into a crossfire chassis it be the perfect sled. 141-144 inch track, 200hp, it's the stuff dreams are made of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I'll never be the guy wishing he never sold his ZR800 CCE. You'd have to pry it out of my cold hands, I love that sled up and down. Planning on a long track and C&A's. When the compression gets low I'll put a 900 top on it.

It's my favourite machine and when I get the itch for something new (because they look so cool) I head out to the garage and forget it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Also, I've always wanted a vintage sled. So I'll hold on to what I have. Some day I'll own a new sled, but I'll keep my old EXT too. Like someone else said, sentimental value.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Riding an older sled why not!!!!

:huh:Hello all the last new sled i owned was a 1980 jag 3000Cat happy I owned for a total of 2 weeks cause I got spanked by a 3500 citation:angry: well since then the newest was a 99 zr600efi which I.should have kept. Now Iown a 1996 cougar I.bought for 300.00 it runs great 14000.00 for a fri ken sled!!!! Give me a break they sit for months at a time where i live:Bangin:

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Like Greg B posted, best overall chassis ever for comfort, ease of working on, and combining the rider forward positioning, along with STRENGTH and simplicity of layout, has to be the 2008-2013 SP race models chassis design...

As much as I used to love the lower ride positioning, and corner railing throttle inducing ride of Cats legendary ZR series, NEVER could I ever go back to a pre-2008 race chassis'd sled design..

Tried riding kids zr440 sp chassis on second day of owning mine back in 2/2010... And less than 20 seconds into ride was asking myself "WTF am I doing riding this thing!!"

L.S.S.,, I allowed him to ride it for a little longer but as soon as I could pry it from his grips, my "donkey" was back in my saddle again!!!

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
as far as the old sit down style sleds I would never go back to riding one unless that is all i could get.
This!!!!

Still like to have fun on an older sled, but for all day trail riding there's now way I'd go back...really love my twin spar.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would have to say I miss my ZR6 as well, I just got the first sled I ever purchased new back this fall. It has been a fun reliable sled.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wow it seems like pretty much everybody is in favor of the newer sleds but I actually prefer to sit down when I ride except for traversing the moguls.
The newest sled I have ridden was a 2013 RMK 800 and it was okay while standing up but seated just riding down the trail I couldn't keep my knees off of the dash.
In our arsenal of older sleds we (between my friend and I) have two 84 480 Phazers that my grandsons are riding now, a 95 580 EXT MC, 98 ZL500, 98 ZR600efi, 99 Powder special 500, 99 580 Pantera, 98 SRV 700 mountain max and a 2002 RMK 800.
On groomed trails the most fun sleds are the Phazers, the 580 EXT, the Powder special and the SRV 700. On rough trails the ZL, ZR, P S and the SRV have the better suspension and off trail the EXT and the SRV are heavy making them the easiest to get stuck even though the EXT has a 1.5" track. The ZL and ZR have 2" paddle tracks so they go very well in the deep stuff and the RMK is the king but it has the most power and the longest track but it doesn't handle worth a crap.
I just bought the Pantera to ride my mother around on and I haven't put too many miles on it because the handling is horrible but I think new springs and shock will help that. At least I hope so since the last time I rode it I thought I would be having a lot more fun on a Phazer.
Hands down the most fun sled to ride on a groomed trail is the 580 EXT, it handles flat and never, never feels like it wants to high side, the SRV is close but all of the rest (except the Phazers) feel top heavy and you really have to hang off the side to carry any speed through the corners.
Bottom line is I like to sit down when I ride so I like the older sleds. BTW I'm 6'4" 205lbs.

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
I love the ride of my 95 ext 580 with the aglt and tsl mods. Rides on rails and absorbs the bumps. My zr600 was great in the ditch and now my f7 is a corner carving SOB havnt had enough snow to try the ditch characteristics but I'm anxious to get it out there. It'll be a while yet before I get a new sled and not a chance of spending more on a sled than I did for my truck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I love the ride of my 95 ext 580 with the aglt and tsl mods. Rides on rails and absorbs the bumps.
Agree'd.

Yes the new sleds are a dream over the bumps, but it doesn't mean all sit down style sleds are rough riders. My buddies 04 Firecat absorbs all the bumps and is a sit down sled.

When I ride over rough bumps on my old sit down sled, I put my feet back on the running boards and hover my butt on the seat and use my legs to absorb the bumps. You can't ride like this long term, as your legs get tired. So I switch back and forth between that on the rough stuff, and normal feet forward over the smooth stuff. For me, I'm constantly changing my body position to accommodate for the terrain.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 2000 z440 has great suspension over the bumps, but like gammer said, I was constantly hovering on bumps.. Which I still do with very rough terrain, but I also don't have to hunch over trying to hold on to the handlebars.

Overall it saves my knees, and to me, spending 150.00 a month for a new sled while I'm younger is worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
I do....although I think an 08 09 F1000 is in my future. ...

·
Registered
35 Posts

93 and 94 wildcat 700 efi

While I can afford to have a fancy new sled it is not in the cards for me. We are a boating family and tolerate the winter the best we can. I would have a $700 boat payment before $400 for a sled.
I have a SRT skid in mine and my sons is the original setup. The previous owner rebuilt his skid last year.
I haven't even had mine in the snow yet under its own power!
My part of the state rarely gets any kind of snow that stays and when it comes the ditch banging trails are gone in a couple of days.
I have to go a minimum of 3-4 hours to get decent trails. This coming weekend we are going 6 hours to the UP for the weekend. Have a friend with a cabin and spare machines. Hopefully the old junkers can make the whole weekend.

Du

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm always curious considering a new ZR 4000 is $8,500.00...

Is that sled going to feel that much better than by 2400 mile 00 ZL 500? It's also down on hp by about 10 and give or take $7,000 more expensive. I'm thinking of doing a ZR Cross Country handle bar set up on it, new stiffer shocks and 96 studs for my new track over the summer. Hopefully it'll remind me that what I have is good enough.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Older sled ?

I dunnogeez id like to have 7000 extra left over:huh: ask yourself a question do I love snowmobiling enough to make that kind of expenditure! If you do hey its your ben franklinsCat happy I am happy with my 1996 cougar I paid 300.00 forClap

21 - 40 of 66 Posts