Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1970 Panther with a bad 399 Kohler a few weeks ago. A friend just gave me a 1971 440 Panther and a 1973 340 Panther. I got the 340 running and have not started working on the 440 yet. I would like to use one of the motors in the 1970. Anyone know if either of thoes motors are easier to swap into the '70. I have not looked at the mounts yet.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If both engines are Kawasakis, I doubt if there is a big difference in how the crankcase is drilled and tapped for a motor plate. Most any of the 340/400/440 fanner twins from Kawy around that time all based on the same block. The 340's are less hard on crank seals than the 440's. All you'd have to do is work out a motor mount set or go scavenge one from a 1971/72 Panther that had one in it. Check out the gearing differences and the clutching too. Browns online is a good source of parts data as you can check out what engine had what gears/clutch parts for free by using their online parts fiche. The 340 is about 27 to 30hp and the 440 is around 36 to 40 depending on year and carb. The cool thing about 70/71/72 Panthers is you can play swap with about any engine model used from those three years that is 440cc and below. The big boys that are 634cc and up used a full jackshaft bulkhead, so that's a little harder to swap around on. So, take a long look at what engine is in the best shape and go from there.

my 2 cents,,, Oh and you will most likely have to replumb the exhaust too. I saw your other post and this sled is for your kids? Go for the 340 they hold up better. Too bad the 399 Kohler was sunk. They can be a nice engine for a putt putt sled, only 23hp. PITA to find parts for anymore though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts