Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Arctic Cat hasn’t yet made public is which Yamaha engine(s) it will source for its sleds beginning next year.I dunno

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hope the turbo sticks around for one more year.

·
Registered
123 Posts
While I have been shopping around for a newer sled I ran accross an artical that said that some dealers can't get the turbo model 1100's fast enough. I think that it would be a major failure if it was not offered . If not I think that OSP aftermarket would be a good option. They made the speed record at haydays, was that last year or two years ago I forget.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I hope they keep the reputation for having the fastest production sled.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It will most likely be the nytro 1049cc motor, if that is what yamaha is putting in the viper and they are being produced in the same factory on the same line it only makes sense. Yamaha has factory authorized turbo and supercharger kits for the genesis 4 don't worry about speed. As far as the 1100, I can't see them using in house Cat made engines, Yamaha, and Suzuki. However I didn't see this comming either. Wow!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think the 800HO and 1100 Turbo will remain. The Yami 4-stroke will replace the 1100NA and bump Cat's hp in that category to the 130 hp range.

I doubt we will see anything direct injected in a 2 stroke for Cat for another year or so. But it would be nice to see a DI 600 and 800 for 2014.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It sucks to see the turbo go away!
Nice factory package.
I love my turbo, but to spend 13k on a sled, and then another 5 or 6k for a turbo kit, not gonna happen for me. I've got too many other things I like to spend money on. Looks like I'll have my '12 for awhile!

·
Registered
109 Posts
There was a 14' turbo that came off the line a couple weeks ago that had a triple in it rather than a twin. My opinion is that they will use yami 4 strokes and take the HPDI technology from VMAX outboards and put it on Cat built two strokes for 15'. it would be cool to have it for 14' but i dont think the plant is up to full production in St. Cloud. And i think it makes sense money wise for both of them. Cat build chassis and install their engine in Cat factory where its all tooled for anyway rather than yamaha tool their factory to make same sled. And have yamaha supply 4 strokes so they dont have to tool plant for 4 and 2 strokes. let them focus on the new breed of 2 stroke Cat built engines!

·
Registered
870 Posts
All I read was the1049 yami triple in the 130hp range was the only yamaha engine for 2014. I think the 800 and 1100 turbo will remain for the next year

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought cat was going towards building their own engines vs japan built . anybody know why they are dropping suzuki for yamaha. maybe suzuki will build their own sleds now ?

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I thought cat was going towards building their own engines vs japan built . anybody know why they are dropping suzuki for yamaha. maybe suzuki will build their own sleds now ?
THis has been common knowledge for a couple of years- this isn't a surprise. The contract expiration with Suzuki and their divestment in Cat were announced long ago, and Cat does have enough excess capacity in St. Cloud that they will be able to manufacture some of their own engines. Look for a combination of Cat built engines and Yamaha built engines to be in Cat's portfolio.

It is common practice for Cat to buy engines from outside suppliers in recent years. Look at the relationship with Kymco that they have- and the relationship with Kawasaki for the v2 twin through 2006.

Cat has demonstrated a willingness to find engine suppliers that best meet a particular market niche.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cat will be introducing their 600cc direct injection in 2014 built in st cloud. it will have more HP and better fuel economy than the e-tech 600. production will be limetd in the first year so if you want one get it quick.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
cat will be introducing their 600cc direct injection in 2014 built in st cloud. it will have more HP and better fuel economy than the e-tech 600. production will be limetd in the first year so if you want one get it quick.

And you know this how????????

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The 600 motor has been well documented but is it going to be released right away or is it going to be a mid year? Limited early release? How bout just bring back that dirty 600 and sell it at an Indy price. Screw the EPA! Not enough sleds out there running to effect the air quality of Alexandria Minnesota if they were all running at the same time. JMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts