Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 TRV 550.

I just put on mudbug 26 inch tires and love them. However 1)in deep mud and water in 4wd lock LOW, I couldn't spin them as much as I want. Sluggish. I was in water just over the tires, in 4wd lock low I couldn't really spin the tires much even with the engine pinned. 2)accelaterating on flat ground in HIGH, motor again seemed sluggish, like it was under rmp's in the power band slightly.

My worry is I will wear my belt, over heat the clutch and lastly I do tow a boat with the quad. I tow in low obviously, but kinda concerned I'm going to burn a belt.

I need a clutch kit that lets me have higher RMP's and addresses my problems. Anyone suggest a brand and which kit specifically? THanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh primary uses for the quad

1) trails full of muskeg and mud. Deep mud and muskeg. Some sand as well.

2)pulling boat to fishind lake through hilly quad trails.

I don't care about my top end speed as long as I can get up to 70-75km/hr.

When I'm on a dirt road where you could go 100km/hr, I would only go 70. I'm not a speed demon.

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
You can go with EPI or DALTON IND a sponsor on here. The kits are based on tire size. You can also get clutch machining done but it requires sending your sheaves in. Airdam or Psc do this type of work. I'm in Calgary you?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can go with EPI or DALTON IND a sponsor on here. The kits are based on tire size. You can also get clutch machining done but it requires sending your sheaves in. Airdam or Psc do this type of work. I'm in Calgary you?
lac la biche area.

so EPI/DALTON website will walk me through which kit I am assuming?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 2010 550 EFI.. is the a H1 motor??

on the EPI site they only list kits for 28 and bigger tires. So when I have 26's by putting on a kit for 28's would that not have my rpm's too high?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
If the primary had a spring maybe

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
No you have a cat engine. All engines are made by cat since 2009 in the mid too large bores

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
550 clutches wont be any different then the 650h1 or 700h1 clutches

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I emailed Dalton ING and got a response that they don't carry kits for my 550. When I mentioned the 550 is the same as 650h1 and 700h1 there response was
".....same clutches means nothing, we are talking about "calibration" of the clutches....and any time peak hp, peak hp rpm, static or rotating weight, final drive gearing, any single on spring or clutch tuning component changes....the rerst of the calibration becomes irrelevant and proper cvt componerts can only be tuned by thorough tedting of the EXACt application. Hope this help"

so what are my options now??

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
the 550 is efi which makes nearly the same power as the 650h1. If it were me id buy a 650h1 spring and some lighter..3-4 grams lighter rollers and see how it does..maybe a 1-2mm shim on the primary as well

·
Registered
63 Posts
which clutch kit

I had also the same problem as you boggy. I took out two rollers one directly across from the other then I bought a 2mm washer or shim from the local nut and bolt supplier and installed it between my spacer sleeve and fixed plate .That made a big difference and cost me $2.00.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had also the same problem as you boggy. I took out two rollers one directly across from the other then I bought a 2mm washer or shim from the local nut and bolt supplier and installed it between my movable drive face and the movable drive face plate .That made a big difference and cost me $2.00.
hmmm.. I might try this. Is there any possiblity I might damage the quad running it like this? Vibrations?

DId you get your low end torque back? Top end?

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
It will work fine if you remove the rollers exactly across from each other...however that in my opinion is far to aggressive a normal clutch kit is 3-4 grams lighter per roller which is 24-25 grams total removing 2 full rollers will be over 40 grams. This would work if your looking to run 30s and up but not much else. With the lighter rollers and full 2 mm shim your looking between 5-7 mph you end loss

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
The shim goes between your spacer sleeve and your fixed plate (inner sheave)

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.