Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear any rumors for 2008 atvs...hoping they have a big v twin coming...i hate to switch brands to keep a v twin..

·
Registered
239 Posts
It might be b.s. but my dealer said he heard of a 950 v twin which is just a rumor.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Someone told me, they have a friend that does some testing for cat. This friend said he had test drove a 800 cat.
They also said it has and adjustable left, so you can lower and raise the atv. This is most likely BS. bsflag just what I have been told.
We will just need to wait and find out.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Doubt you will see any bigger than 800 as a growing number of states have limits on atv motors to 800 cc. And you will only see a v-twin if suzuki or arctic cat builds one because they are going for all in house motors except for the new diesel. So being none are even in the works it would be 2-3 model years down the road. The diesel is the next entry from arctic cat, but it uses a french made motor.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i heard that arctic cat going to make a 950 3 cylynder. and also kawasaki is making an 800 brute force and then there giving arctic cat there 750 model.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Well, the relationship between Cat and Kawi is dissolved. I'd be shocked if any Kawi engine came back into the mix.

·
Registered
487 Posts
maybe im wrong but they should be coming out with a 950 because polaris is making one from there ktm dirtbike engine and canam has an 1000 engine on the showroom floor but they wont release it until somebody else comes out with a big bore like that first.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I should have clarified...I'm sure Kawi has a big bore they are working on. I don't see that engine coming into the AC lineup (like the 650V2 engine in a Cat frame). Cat has a strong relationship with Suzuki right now, and even that I see dissolving once Cat can get their production plants built and running (like they are doing in St. Cloud, MN with the H1 motors).

·
Registered
434 Posts
A close friend of mine is a rep and the only thing they relly see is the diesil.Right now they are talking about something a tad bigger if the wpsa quad terrain really takes off like hoped for.Plus they are really striving by 08 to have all motors in house.The diesel tho is really supposed to be a work horse and a half.Top speed of like 45 but the torque is going to be unreal,so all the sled pulling guys this will be for you.The only thing they will not put a turbo like most auto motive engines.projected weight is somewhere around the 800 lbs mark.My buddy is hoping to get one on his account or however that works it will be one hill climbing machine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We've all got opinions on this, and here's mine. There has been an explosive growth in the ATV market and engine size in the last 6-7 years. Where the engine size ends no one knows, but it would be silly for any mfgr to sit on what they have w/out engineering something larger than it currently sells. I suspect most mfgrs are working on engines in the 950-1000cc range just in case. Remember, once these engines are ready for production, it's easy to make them smaller. Reduce the bore, shorten the stroke, etc. It's not so easy if you design an engine at 800cc (for example), and try to make it larger. So it's probably true AC is working on a large engine, whether it will reach production is another question. According to my dealer who has talked to some AC engineers, they are working on a 950cc but their heart is not in it because of legal issues surrounding a perceived horsepower race and the resultant government (fed or state) intervention. For the moment the market seems to have paused at 800cc. Bet your life the various mfgrs are waiting to see who makes the next move beyond 800. In the meantime expect add-ons like power steering and the like to become more popular. The market will decide so I don't buy the argument that one or two states (MN is one) that does not allow quads larger than 800 dictating the size for the remainder. The first application of these larger engines could very well be side-by-sides, two-ups, or those with boxes on the back. Sort of testing the waters from a legal perspective. As for diesels, well, we all know installing a torque monster is a very big deal since the rest of the bike must be totally redesigned to handle that torque. It also depends on how much money the company is willing to invest (or has to invest) based upon the market. You can also bet the mfgrs are watching what happens to the growing anti-ATV crowd and their influence on regulations. It's that 1-2% of us that will make it difficult for the remainder...don't be one and don't allow the friends you ride with to be that 1-2%. I certainly don't.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (650boy @ Jan 11 2007, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
maybe im wrong but they should be coming out with a 950 because polaris is making one from there ktm dirtbike engine and canam has an 1000 engine on the showroom floor but they wont release it until somebody else comes out with a big bore like that first.[/b]
Be hard to disolve from suzuki being they own 35% of arctic cat, as to all the AC big bore, they make snowmobile motors that are big and getting bigger, but limits in place already by many states on atvs at 800 cc's will make them think twice about a product that can't be sold everywhere.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Why anyone would need bigger than 800cc i dont know. have you rode the outlander 800? the power is almost unusable at slow speeds on the technical trails. Makes it real jumpy. I would rather see them concentrate on weight reduction and suspension. power is pointless without the suspension to match it. If you put an 800cc outlander power in a cat with the front weight being so light you would flip over all the time going up steep hills!

·
Registered
434 Posts
:thumbsup: this is just my opion dont want to step on toes here.I just came from an 05 500 that was and still is a very good bike.I went to a 700,I am completly satisfied with the upgrade.It will do anything I throw at it the 1 thing I have noticed with the extra power I am going to have to learn to keep this one under control i.e. hill climbing mostly.With the 500 you put it in high pinn it and go no worries of that front end coming up on you.The 700 and Im sure you V2 guys and h1 guys see this some that frnt end you have to watch.Soi that said i would doubt we see ant bigger than the 800 just for the simple fact of the safety issue.We all know that fed regs and state regs allready try to controll the sport we love so much.That being said we also know there are alot of people that get the wrong wheelers for themselves or kids or wifes or what ever and hey lets go riding with out even knowing how much power these things have.Example we live in the Chicagoland area we mostly ride at a park called fox valley off road in weron il.We were riding one day my son and i and i come up to this guy on one of those zuke 450's he had shorts tennis shoes and a wife beater.He was stalled im like a hey you need help yeah he says just got it yesterday the wife and i have the same quads he says.Whats the problem it just stopped running,He asked do you know any thing about this bike i say not really start looking and it appeared to be efi so no gas **** did a little more lokkin I tried to fire it and it just seemed it was starved for fuel.I checked his tank bone dry,Ok bud it looks like you are out of fuel he says how do you know i couldnt find the gauge.Its things like this people that have no idea about quads getting on them.So i really think they are about done for awhile.Just my opion. cause if people keep getting hurt or worse killed on the bigger faster machines we are going to see so many more laws and regs.That why alot of parks wont evn allow quads.Sorry that i kinda went off there on a rambling rant but we will have to see.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Some great points here. It's my opinion that more states are going to go to the weight limit, perhaps even cc limit. More and more states are implementing snorkel laws. MN, as an example, has started classifying these machines by weight, cc displacement and has a snorkel law as well. None of which were present just 3 years ago. It may be a temporary law...then again, it may be the start of something more national in the near future.

I see the value in the statement made above how cc displacement increases may slow in lieu of other "accessory" type options (ie...power steering). It's a good point. I think it may be a combo platter of both consumer demand and government regulations.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I will put my .01Cents in on this too. You wont see any one going biggger just because it sounds good or is someone dream to have the BIGGEST out there. While most states in their laws do have limits on engine displacement as to what is an ATV. Getting into the 800+ gets one into the ORV class and they is getting even fewer place to do that. But what is begiing to dive the maket will be what is coming out. The market will always be as it has been in the mid size. 400 - 650 line. Why? Because of cost. 13 year olds do understand this. The growth in the ATV market is with families buying two or more machines at the same time. Just look what Suzuki is doing with the 450. And you will see AC and others doing the same. They may play with bigger motors for engineering and developement but not for the market. We will see more and more mid size with the same options of the 700 to 800s. The really big machines just will not sell. They will sel and handful but not enough to make a profit. I can aford a $14,000 ATV but do I want to pay that much. No way! And dont need or want a 950 or a 1K. And do not know of many families would eighter. They will not build for a very small market. There is a lot bigger market than just the few that only run only mud. Beside I don't want to see any 13 year olds on any 1k machines. That will be the death of ATVing real fast when someone get hurt or dies. There will be a big push over the next few years to upgrade all in the 250 to 650 class for better engines, EFI, suspention. handleing and comfort equipment options. Whay because the moms and pops who are buying and not the 18 to 20 year old that is woking at the local burger joint or trying to pay for school. And are also buying the toy haulers, RVs and campers to to take the family out of ATV trips and not just run down to the local gravel pit. The real ATV industry in with he families with expendable dollars. If you can get pop to come in with the wife and buy its getting to be a better bet they they will leave with 2 ATVs instead of one. Another growing maket is with the women out there. Thats right guys the ladies. My delear here say that is quickly becoming a cash cow for him and his family. getting a lot more ladies buying there own.

And buy the way for those that think Suzuki owns 35% of Cat. Not at all. I have looked at buying Cat stock and have looked into. That is just a big internet rumor. Just because they buy engines does not mean anything. The coorpoarate goal of AC is to in the very near future is to be completely independent of any other company. They bought engines becuase they had no engine facility them selves with the sno goes and atv. And you will AC making there own in the sno go market soon after the atv is in full production accross the line. I would not be supprised to see the 700 Suzuki Cat to be gone in the next 3 years much like the Kaw. And it was not just AC that wanted to drop the KawAC v2. Kaw was fixing to come out with the new 650 in their own line and could not provide enough engines and did not want the compition from AC for the same. The one main reason is in buying the engines is tied to the exchange rates each day. Makes it really hard to invest, have investores, project sales, and profit when your cost are changeing each day. And they also can have full controll of the quality assurance. Beside bigger is not better. As the engines get bigger so will the frames and weight and COST.

So you youngins keep on dreaming that still free hmmmmmmm 1800 v6 . well untill the dems start taxing you for that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
hey man i know i have a 650 and thats alright because i know what it can do and what it cant do. Honestly i think im a pretty lucky guy out there. You dont see many 13 year old kids having a 650 as there first quad.

And aslo whos going to need power from a 950 and higher? Like my 650 has lots of power to spare and thats all i need. I might pipe mine and thats all im doing to it. And if you think im lucky a couple of kids i know. They all have sport quads and there done to the nuts. Pipes,air filters,big bores,elka suapension,tires,port polish. Everything you can imagine to do to a quad they have on it. And there 15 years old. And plus there going as hard as those machines will let them go. Have the time they blow pistons on every 2-3 rides. And there trouble makers too. Theyll go in peoples yards and spin doughnuts all over the place and then theres rocks all over the place too. Like come on.

But anyway back to topic now. If these companies are going to make 1000 then what is the government going to say. like most states dont allow that big of cc to roam around. And also too many people are going to get killed also. Enough people are getting killed because of tyhese 650s and even like 500 and stuff. But whatever. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Jan 11 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I should have clarified...I'm sure Kawi has a big bore they are working on. I don't see that engine coming into the AC lineup (like the 650V2 engine in a Cat frame). Cat has a strong relationship with Suzuki right now, and even that I see dissolving once Cat can get their production plants built and running (like they are doing in St. Cloud, MN with the H1 motors).[/b]
The Suzuki - Cat relationship is more than Suzuki being an engine supplier for AC. Suzuki owns between 30 and 35 percent of AC. That is a nice piece of the North American market pie that Suzuki would not otherwise have access to. I'm certain that there are also some very attractive incentives for Suzuki to invest in North American ATV production. Not unlike the Japanese and Koreans investing in the auto industry. In addition to that, AC is in a very enviable position to have access to Suzuki engine research and development. Considering that the arrangement is mutually beneficial for both Cat and Suzuki, it would be a strange turn of events to see them part their ways.

As far as the 800 cc diesel engine for the Cat, it's made by Lombardini. Check the attached link for info on their line of small diesels.

http://www.lombardiniusa.com/

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
With regard to the comment that Suzuki have not shares in AC, I like to point out that remark is absolutely wrong. Below is an attachment of an excerpt from Arctic Cat's Industrial Relations Dept. So, unless some one can come up with more recent information to state otherwise, and in full view of the knowledge that Suzuki and AC are still working together, I'd say that their relationship is very much alive and well.

Arctic Cat Inc. (ticker: ACAT, exchange: NASDAQ Stock Exchange (.O)) News Release - 15-Sep-2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arctic Cat Repurchases Stock from Suzuki Motor Corporation

THIEF RIVER FALLS, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 15, 2003--Arctic Cat Inc. (Nasdaq:ACAT) today announced that it has repurchased 843,000 shares of Class B stock from Suzuki Motor Corporation, or 4 percent of Arctic Cat's total outstanding shares. The buyback brings Suzuki's ownership to just under 32 percent, or 6.7 million shares, of Arctic Cat's common stock.

"Due to our active stock repurchase program, Suzuki's percent ownership of our shares has grown over time," said Christopher Twomey, chairman and chief executive officer of Arctic Cat. "The repurchase returns Suzuki to the level it owned when it first acquired the shares. It also allows Arctic Cat to repurchase a large block of shares without adversely impacting the current level of publicly traded shares."

Since 1996, Arctic Cat has repurchased more than eight million shares under three share repurchase plans. The company also provides a 6 cent quarterly dividend to shareholders.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts