Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of currosity, what's a symptom of the APV system not functioning correctly, besides cycling 3 times? Would you be unable to achieve peak rpm like the Skidoo system? If so what's the tell tale sign that they are dirty, misadjusted, not working right?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Clean your exhaust valves every 500 miles or so, adjust the cables to 34.5mm each side, double check for cables not fraying. If your valves fail to open after all this is completed, your servo-motor might be going bad.

You'll loose performance on the top end once they fail to open after you reached the specified RPM.

Happy trails from Derek Elias in Cambridge Bay, Nunavut

·
Registered
1 Posts
I myself have never seen a servo motor go bad . I would tell you that it is your voltage regulator out and you are not getting power to actuate your servo motor. I have replaced many in the past few years

·
Registered
302 Posts
take the cover off the servo motor, put sled on track stand and rev it up to at least 7300, watch to see if servomotor turns. Mine seized up this year i put another one on but with a wrench got my old one to loosen up, and you probably won't achieve peak rpm. Should get a 6 flash check engine code as well after you rev it up past 7g and will go into limp mode...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! I don't have a problem yet, just wondering how many rpms's you would be shy...300-400rpm? more? less? I know when my Ski-doo's valves need cleaning I am usually 300 rpm shy. Is there a rule of thumb for Cats?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just had this problem. Last year my sled was completley fine. I go for a ride today and it woulndt rev past 7500 then it got lower and went into limp mode, CEL 6 times. I took out my power valves....hmmmm one was in backwards! so i put it the way its supposed to go. Checked to see if the cables were frozen, they were fine, the powervalves were not carboned up bad at all.

Called dealer they said servomotor could of gotten moisture in there and it could have seized/be frozen. SO im not looking forward to buying one new.

How do you test for the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
302 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (buKFuDDie @ Jan 16 2007, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just had this problem. Last year my sled was completley fine. I go for a ride today and it woulndt rev past 7500 then it got lower and went into limp mode, CEL 6 times. I took out my power valves....hmmmm one was in backwards! so i put it the way its supposed to go. Checked to see if the cables were frozen, they were fine, the powervalves were not carboned up bad at all.

Called dealer they said servomotor could of gotten moisture in there and it could have seized/be frozen. SO im not looking forward to buying one new.

How do you test for the voltage regulator?[/b]
Wow exactly what happpend to mine, and i bought a new one because of it... i guess sinking it underwater ain;t good for some of that stuff :p i got the one i bought online and the motor was almost like outta phase, like the slots weren't turned to the same place the old one was.. so i wasn;t sure what i was going to do but then i grabbed it, and it turned quite easily by hand, grabbed my old one and i couldn;t move it, so i put a wrench on the nut on the front of the cable holder and with some pressure broke free and works just peachy now. now i have a spare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cazwell @ Jan 15 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Should get a 6 flash check engine code as well after you rev it up past 7g and will go into limp mode...[/b]
Hey guys...

I blew my belt at top speed last year and apparently my sled went into limp mode even after i had shut it off and replaced my belt...it still seems to be in limp mode to this day, I just stopped riding because it was the end of the season. What exactly is "limp mode" and could it be an indication that I killed my voltage regulator?

Tight lines.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts