Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ya'll think is a better deal? They both see the same price. The difference being that rhe newer sleds come with an open trailer as apposed to the older sleds with the older clamshell trailer. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
this is a impossible question to answer IMO, as without seeing them and knowing what they look like, WHO owned them what CARE was taken over the yrs and miles, HOW they were stored and SO on
Miles and age of a sled, are only a SMALL part of things
sleds are HIGH wear and tear toys, there exposed to many extreme elements, and they tend to require care EVERY yr, JUST sitting things can go bad, like bearings, seals, tracks seats and other parts, not to mention rust and wear from UV, SUN, heat cold, possible mice damage and??

SO< you can look at it like this, the best sled to buy is the one that has BOTH IMO< the newest and the lowest miles, and was both cared for and stored well!

after that, you have to do your own looking and do an as thorough of a inspection as you can, from, possibly taking a compression reading, or checking as many WEAR parts as you can,
when you GO look at things and if you DON"T know what to look for, TAKE someone that does, even if you have to PAY them, it can be money well spent!
also keep in mind WHAT YOUR skill sets are, can you fix things, or will you PAYING for things to be fixed?

and last, maybe something you DIDN:T consider, is ride/quality/seating position,
older sleds do NOT ride as well as newer one's
and this can be a BIG deal to some folks, all the more so if there older and or have bad backs or knee's or other health issue's
in a nut shell, the newer the sled, odds are the better it will ride in rougher bumps(or that's MY experience)

so again, its sort of impossible to say what the better deal is, based on just wording of a description, seeing sleds in person matters more to me

the average guy can rebuild a two stroke motor(top end any how), but that cannot be said on a modern 4 stroke
so this off the bat can be a BIG repair costs if needed!
but again, all things can wear out from age, or weather or how stored or treated/cared for, and its NOT just miles or hours or even AGE
well stored older things can last, poorly cared for newer things can be worn out?
if me, I would look for the newest Lowest mile sled's in my price range, and then go look at them and see what they look like in person!

·
Super Moderator
8,315 Posts
A high mile 4 stroke is not any more reliable than a 2 stroke. Most people over look the only difference between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke is the engine. They both have all the same parts on them that ware out before either engine will. Also high mile 4 strokes need to have valve adjustments done on them and that is a wash in money vs putting new pistons in a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had a 2007 Z1 1100 NA for 5 years. It was a heavy, powerful sled. I hated the styling, and I hated how wide the seat was, and I didn't find it super fun. I had fun on it... but I felt like I was just driving it, not riding it. It felt like I could be anywhere on the sled and it would handle the exact same... which felt top hheavy and not confidence inspiring. Would rather have a low milage ZR3 imho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts