Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older eltigre 340, I was told it was a 73. the build date is 7-73 vin #3516822. serial#4020907 and # on the engine is TIC340RS1A. I am thinking 74????? also wonder if a winsheild from a 75 z would fit. I like the short windsheild??? I really wish it would snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for any help. Sorry for the double and sideways pictures. I am just happy I got them up!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Was just on Brown's Leisure parts and according to the hood photo's in the parts list it has 74' decals.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Yes, it's definitley a '74. I had a '73, different decals. I also bought a used 74 years later, and it had the decals same as in your pics.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
on the older cats,, the ''4'' that begins your vin is the defining mark, after '79 (I believe,, I dunno for sure), the vins started with (for example) let's say a 1990, with ''90'' as the first 2 digits and so on,, then around 2002 (I believe) the current system went into effect

EDIT: posted info on vin vs serial # of your's goes opposite of what cat says, possibly numbers reversed?? (Just seems strange)

·
Registered
474 Posts
For the 60's and 70's Cats, the number that counts is the first digit in the serial number. Your sled starts with a 4. You can also go buy the model sticker number if you have access to a parts manual and can decode them. But usually this sticker falls off when they get old, which sucks. I think they went to the twin number (beginning of serial number, first two digits) designation after ARCTCO took over from 1984 to whenever the mile long new system went into effect in the late 90's. That means the 1980 Cat starts with a zero and the 1981 starts with a 1 in the serial number, for example. Last of the Arctic Enterprise sleds. Arctco 1984 sleds start with '84??? I think. Have no clue what the oddball 50 or so 1982 Arctic Enterprise prototypes start with. I'm guessing a 2 and then an X in the serial number. Anybody got one of those? Three of the Pumas have popped up lately and one of the Cougars.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gbarchives-eltigre @ Jan 4 2007, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For the 60's and 70's Cats, the number that counts is the first digit in the serial number. Your sled starts with a 4. You can also go buy the model sticker number if you have access to a parts manual and can decode them. But usually this sticker falls off when they get old, which sucks. I think they went to the twin number (beginning of serial number, first two digits) designation after ARCTCO took over from 1984 to whenever the mile long new system went into effect in the late 90's. That means the 1980 Cat starts with a zero and the 1981 starts with a 1 in the serial number, for example. Last of the Arctic Enterprise sleds. Arctco 1984 sleds start with '84??? I think. Have no clue what the oddball 50 or so 1982 Arctic Enterprise prototypes start with. I'm guessing a 2 and then an X in the serial number. Anybody got one of those? Three of the Pumas have popped up lately and one of the Cougars.[/b]
so it was the ''serial'' number, and not the ''vin'' number?? weird, the dealer where I heard this and worked for the last couple yrs, went by the vin number,, that's some humper up info, that's for sure

·
Registered
474 Posts
For the Arctic Enterprise sleds, go by the serial number and ignore the build date. That I'll take to the bank, man. We sold 'em back in the day too. Get's even more confusing with the 1970-1971 Cats that we sold new!
They got an alphabet soup of labels on them as for engine make and model, and not all tags were stamped the same!. By that I mean say you got two 1970 399 Kohler powered Pumas. A Puma was supposed to have the letters PU on the ID tag, but on some of the Pumas they only stuck a P, which was the code for Panther.

Yeah I went around and around when I registered my 1979 Jag with the local gals. They INSISTED it had to be a 1978, because it had a late summer 1978 build date. I had to show them the serial number photo I took and show how it was right next to the build tag to make it correct, as well as ask them if they were in the sled business, would you build your 1979 models after 1979 already started? Car guys don't. They relented!

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gbarchives-eltigre @ Jan 4 2007, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For the Arctic Enterprise sleds, go by the serial number and ignore the build date.[/b]
never went with build date (know exactly what you're talking about,, do you by any chance know about polarises atv's yr system???????? Holy SH!T, talk about stupid!! chairshot )

·
Registered
474 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Jan 4 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gbarchives-eltigre @ Jan 4 2007, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the Arctic Enterprise sleds, go by the serial number and ignore the build date.[/b]
never went with build date (know exactly what you're talking about,, do you by any chance know about polarises atv's yr system???????? Holy SH!T, talk about stupid!! chairshot )
[/b][/quote]

Never played with those. Only ATV type thing I ever owned was a couple Honda ATC's I went through back in the day. Honda at least back then had a no bullcrap ID system right on the fork head down tube. Big sticker stuck on with good glue that usually lasted until the thing was repainted. Model year in big letters so any idiot could read it. Why can't everyone else do that? Came in handy one recent day, that old memory. I was walking with my kids on a nice summer day past the local theft, er, used car lot. Anyway, this slick catches me looking over an old ATC and proceeds to tell me it's only 6 years old and in great shape. I just looked up at him and smiled, said "OK what does this mean?" as I casually twisted the front handlebars around so that sticker just shown out in the daylight on the front fork head down tube, and said "American Honda Motor Company, 1985."

DOH!

Slick did not say a word, just walked back inside and left me alone out there, with my kids quietly laughing at him. :tongue_nana:

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gbarchives-eltigre @ Jan 5 2007, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Jan 4 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gbarchives-eltigre @ Jan 4 2007, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Never played with those. Only ATV type thing I ever owned was a couple Honda ATC's I went through back in the day. Honda at least back then had a no bullcrap ID system right on the fork head down tube. Big sticker stuck on with good glue that usually lasted until the thing was repainted. Model year in big letters so any idiot could read it.,, (YOU'D BE AMAZED AT THE FOOLS THAT STILL CAN'T) slaphappy, or the guys that trailer in their 1100/1200 goldwings that will not start and are nearly un-loaded, then you flip the kill switch on right side to ''''ON'',, slaphappy

Why can't everyone else do that? Came in handy one recent day, that old memory. I was walking with my kids on a nice summer day past the local theft, er, used car lot. Anyway, this slick catches me looking over an old ATC and proceeds to tell me it's only 6 years old and in great shape. I just looked up at him and smiled, said "OK what does this mean?" as I casually twisted the front handlebars around so that sticker just shown out in the daylight on the front fork head down tube, and said "American Honda Motor Company, 1985."

DOH!

Slick did not say a word, just walked back inside and left me alone out there, with my kids quietly laughing at him.
[/b][/quote]
good one :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts