Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what type of plastic the hood on my 06 F6 is made out of..am looking for a 100% positive answer..looking into buying a plastic welder and rods to fix mt cracked hood

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone had their hood welded?.....does it hold? my hood cracked when i flipped the machine onto its side and the crack is right above the rubber hood strap hook. I just want to know if anyone has had a similar crack repaired in this location as i feel this is a spot that needs to be extra strong because of the rubber straps pulling on it.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sometimes with new plastics they have the Recyclable symbol somewhere, is there possibly one somewhere on the underside of the hood? That would have to tell you the plastic type.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great tip....when its not -22F outside(not complaining) i will go take the black insulation pad out and look for it

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looked at it real quick just clips that hold it in so looks like it will come out fairly easy

·
Registered
514 Posts
IMO Plastic welders suck, I have used them in the past to fix motorcycle plastic and it seems that once that molded plastic is broke the plastic welder just cant keep it together for very long before it cracks back. I use Duramix, its a plastic repair apoxy that works well with a wide veriety of plastics. Bevel and sand the backside of the hood and use plastic prep and a plastic adhesion promoter before appling the epoxy then use a heat gun to assist in curing the fixed area. In the world of heavy vibration it will hold up better then the plastic welder. You do have to buy the mixing gun to use it but its probaly the same coin as buying a welder. Once you own it you will find TONS of use for it, trust me. It should be availible from any body shop supply store.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had my hood plastic welded - the company didn't have the exact materials to weld so (with my permission) they scarfed off about 1/8" strip about 3" long off one of the long tabs inside the hood to use for the welding rod (can't even notice it's missing). The results weren't exactly what I would call ideal. It was a difficult spot to weld (on a sharp crown), so maybe that was why it didn't turn out the greatest as I have seen good work by them on other hoods.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cinch @ Jan 18 2007, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just had my hood plastic welded - the company didn't have the exact materials to weld so (with my permission) they scarfed off about 1/8" strip about 3" long off one of the long tabs inside the hood to use for the welding rod (can't even notice it's missing). The results weren't exactly what I would call ideal. It was a difficult spot to weld (on a sharp crown), so maybe that was why it didn't turn out the greatest as I have seen good work by them on other hoods.[/b]

Got any pics of the welded part???? would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts