Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My powder extreme was set up for 8000 to 10000 feet. It had a big bore in it before it went. I have gone back to a stock engine for the time being (kinda...the top end needs to be rebuilt so I'm looking into going back to the big bore). My question is this...

What should the RPM be when the clutches engage for the 600?

Also, if anyone has the big bore, what should those RPMs be when the clutches engage?

Money wise, it looks like I will return to the 700, but considering other options. Could make for a good summer project.

·
Registered
26 Posts
On mine, clutch engaged at right around 5000 RPM with the 50 gram weights (setup for 5000 to 9000 feet). With 52 gram weights it engages at 4500-4700 RPM.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnAB @ Apr 10 2007, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On mine, clutch engaged at right around 5000 RPM with the 50 gram weights (setup for 5000 to 9000 feet). With 52 gram weights it engages at 4500-4700 RPM.[/b]
Your sled has the stock 600, correct?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep that is correct. Totally stock 600 in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a question for you. You mention a big bore kit for your 600. I was wondering where or how you got the sled up to the 700 cc mark and did you ever dyno it to see what kind of HP you were getting out of it? Like to get some more power out of mine. I have also considered swapping out the motor and bolting in a 800 or 1000 triple as well. Have to change the jackshaft, carbs and maybe pipes but other than that should almost be a plug and play operation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The kit that I have is a Black Magic kit. I recently located another kit from PSI. Their wesite shows that kit for about $2000. The black magic kit involved not only resizing the engine to a 696cc but also PSI triples for exhaust. The kit that I had was 150 hp. The sled was regeared and reclutched to handle the mountains and climbing. It wasn't dyno-ed but was estimated at 135 to 138 hp. It also had a 141x2 track.

What they do is remove the old sleeve from the cyclinders, bore them out, and then resleeve it with a larger diameter. The pistons are also larger. Mill work to the head needs to be done as well. A big bore gasket kit needs to be used also. Thankfully they are the same price as the stock 600.

THe PSI kit comes with new cyclinders, heads, and pistons. This could be a good option if you want to get it up and running right away and you can sell the old top end to get a little money back.

I had called Black Magic in MN. They quoted me $395 per cylinder (not including piston) for me to send them my cylinder. A Wiseso piston will cost about $100.

What's left of my big bore looks good. I'm going to have a machinist look at the head of the blown cyclinder to see if it is salvagable. If it is, I can probably get the 700 put back together for about $425. If not, it will cost about $30 to $60 more. I can put the 600 back together for about $350. It might be worth the extra to rebuild the 700.

Let me know if you want more info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts