Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother s 07 Xfire only starts once every blue moon. He did all the routine checks before bringing to the dealer(gas, spark, Air). He discovered it wasn't getting any feul. They gave him his sled back & said it was a faulty plug. Then charged him for new plugs & 1hr labour.
Shouldn't it be under warrenty?
At the moment he can't get it going for a totally differnt reason: Won't pull over!!! He's figuring (& hoping) that it's because it is -20 degrees. Should there be that much compression?
At the moment he is extremely unsatisfied with his sled & service.
He bought the sled from the dealer in Fort Mcmurray Alberta.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Interesting....

Where does he keep it stored, heated, non heated or outside?

Does he take it in and out of a heated enviorment in those temps? Water will have condenced in his tank that can cause his fuel system to freeze.

I'm guessing the sled is out side right now......

P.S. wecome to the site...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It will be a mother to pull if -20...especially if there was a frost. It's about all I can do to pull my 700 over in those conditions. It used to take me a couple "practice" pulls to get a good pull with my 800 at -20.

·
Registered
524 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
It will be a mother to pull if -20...especially if there was a frost. It's about all I can do to pull my 700 over in those conditions. It used to take me a couple "practice" pulls to get a good pull with my 800 at -20.[/b]
I agree with you some what.... but the past week is hase been -25 to -30 consistantly up here with a lot of frost and there was only one day it was a pita to start.

Hay Maelstorm, what temps are you getting up in Resolute? -30 blow? How hard is it to start your sled in those temps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I he does leave it outside. I bet keeping the gas tank full would help aswell to keep out condensation. I had a zr & I would have to keep gas line antifreeze in with the gas all the time in freezing conditions.

·
Registered
464 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phatmountain @ Jan 11 2007, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My brother s 07 Xfire only starts once every blue moon. He did all the routine checks before bringing to the dealer(gas, spark, Air). He discovered it wasn't getting any feul. They gave him his sled back & said it was a faulty plug. Then charged him for new plugs & 1hr labour.
At the moment he can't get it going for a totally differnt reason: Won't pull over!!! He's figuring (& hoping) that it's because it is -20 degrees. Should there be that much compression?
He bought the sled from the dealer in Fort Mcmurray Alberta.[/b]
Not seeing how he could have done all the checks if it turned out to be a plug?

You have to pull it over slowly for 2-3 pulls in colder weather to get fuel pump charged and some oil on the cylinder walls, then get it just before the compression stroke, then pull.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quote]

Not seeing how he could have done all the checks if it turned out to be a plug?

[/quote]
Thats the thing. When he did the checks there was spark. Thats why he is skeptical of there explanation.

·
Banned
488 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nunavut_Crossfire @ Jan 11 2007, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
It will be a mother to pull if -20...especially if there was a frost. It's about all I can do to pull my 700 over in those conditions. It used to take me a couple "practice" pulls to get a good pull with my 800 at -20.[/b]
I agree with you some what.... but the past week is hase been -25 to -30 consistantly up here with a lot of frost and there was only one day it was a pita to start.

Hay Maelstorm, what temps are you getting up in Resolute? -30 blow? How hard is it to start your sled in those temps?
[/b][/quote]

6 days ago when you asked Nunavut, it was in the -30 range....but since it had been running so rich i have yet to keep it outside since i turned the oil rod down a turn. When i did keep it outside though it was taking way too many pulls to start, and fouling plugs....i was frustrated but i think i solved the problem by adjusting the rod. Hopefully....lol.

·
Registered
415 Posts
plugs and belts and wear parts i got told arent under warranty, put 1hr of labour for plugs is rough, especially for a new sled, one guy from where i'm out had similar issues but had the front nosecone solid full of ice and that was a plug/warmup for it to work again but the dealer didn't charge him cause its a brand new sled and customers get pissed if they get charged for problems on a new sled, at least that was his strategy.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sure, maybe plugs are wear items, but after spending all that money there should be no dealer charge if the customer is having trouble with a new sled. If you are having issues starting it, then that's the dealers fault for not setting it up properly for your conditions, not yours. And an hour to change a plug? Would it take 3 years for them to do a top end? First thing, get a new dealer that isn't trying to steal the shirt off his back, then get the sled issue resolved.

·
Registered
415 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MacEng @ Jan 19 2007, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sure, maybe plugs are wear items, but after spending all that money there should be no dealer charge if the customer is having trouble with a new sled. If you are having issues starting it, then that's the dealers fault for not setting it up properly for your conditions, not yours. And an hour to change a plug? Would it take 3 years for them to do a top end? First thing, get a new dealer that isn't trying to steal the shirt off his back, then get the sled issue resolved.[/b]
agreed, sorry if i sounded like a was defending the dealer, theres no way you should be charged for labor on a new sled for anything.

·
Registered
703 Posts
it almost sounds like an electrical problem to me... maybe like there is no free play in the throtle cable.

Does the sled even kick over when you pull of just piston flutter?

·
Registered
84 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phatmountain @ Jan 11 2007, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He bought the sled from the dealer in Fort Mcmurray Alberta.[/b]
It could be from the fuel pump, and also the piston ring might be sticking since it would pull over. -20 won't make a diffrence, m from way up North where average temp for Jan is -30 to -40 n my cat starts in 2 pulls 3 max never more then 3 pulls. Hope this helps welcome call

·
Registered
86 Posts
hay it's my sled with the problem. i got the labour free after a fight with the dealer and it wasn't the plugs as i suspected cus it wouldn't start when i got home. i figered out that if i crack the throttle just a hair it starts but the point is i shouldn't have to do anything but pull it over. the dealer is sayin it might be the exaust pipe tem. sensor. he says it is not gettin the proper full air mixture at cold tempetures. the dealer also says they r havin problems gettin specs from cat. i'm gettin so pissed with this slead it has spent more time in the shop then out. dose anyone have and e mail contact for cat cus i can't find one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts