Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book says to use Arctic Cat ACX All-Weather
synthetic. But I hate paying for just a name and there is no close AC dealer near me. What weight oil can I use? And how many quarts?

·
Administrator
38,910 Posts
I use 5-40 shell rotella t6 full synthetic. Available at wal-Mary and its wet clutch safe. JASO-MA

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use 5-40 shell rotella t6 full synthetic. Available at wal-Mary and its wet clutch safe. JASO-MA
WOW that's a weird oil lol. How long have you been running it and what kind of machine. I am looking to do my Thundercat

I know my Polaris I had took 50 weight.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The Arctic Cat ACX oil is 5w-50 oil and is the weight of oil arctic cat currently recommends in all of their ATV's. Before this recommendation they recommended 0W-40 in everything.

I've been using Shell Rotella T6 full 5W-40 synthetic in every motor toy I have for years and have never experienced an oil related failure of any kind. This oil is a Diesel rated oil which has some benefits for the shared duty of lubrication of both the engine and transmission. Zinc, Zinc and other additives are added to the oil to help with the lubrication of gear driven injector pumps and the higher stress loads upon bearings found in high compression diesel engines. Plus it is wet clutch safe. Wet clutch safe oils is mandatory in my opinion for all Arctic Cat engines except the 650V2 that I Know of. I'm not sure if the Klymco based small cats in the 50 or 90 cc range require it or not though. Another bit benefit to the T6 oil is it's cost. The lowest cost synthetic compatible oil I've seen anywhere.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Arctic Cat ACX oil is 5w-50 oil and is the weight of oil arctic cat currently recommends in all of their ATV's. Before this recommendation they recommended 0W-40 in everything.

I've been using Shell Rotella T6 full 5W-40 synthetic in every motor toy I have for years and have never experienced an oil related failure of any kind. This oil is a Diesel rated oil which has some benefits for the shared duty of lubrication of both the engine and transmission. Zinc, Zinc and other additives are added to the oil to help with the lubrication of gear driven injector pumps and the higher stress loads upon bearings found in high compression diesel engines. Plus it is wet clutch safe. Wet clutch safe oils is mandatory in my opinion for all Arctic Cat engines except the 650V2 that I Know of. I'm not sure if the Klymco based small cats in the 50 or 90 cc range require it or not though. Another bit benefit to the T6 oil is it's cost. The lowest cost synthetic compatible oil I've seen anywhere.
Thanks Wyo! You always give a really good report on stuff. I was reading you thing about the snorkel or might of been that box mod you did.

Reactions: Wyo_H1_Cat

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
ive been running shell for 3.5 years no issues or oil useage or anything. I love it

·
Registered
456 Posts
ive been running a halvaline atv 10w 40 in mine for 7 yrs with no problems or oil consumtion.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok now I got the weight of oil but what oil filter can I use? I would like just to go to wal mart and pick one up and they always have them ripped up books that you cant read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts