Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for an oil change. What oil are all you guys using these days? Im a big synthetic fan, but Id like to know what manufacture and grade you guys like to use.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I use the Rotella 5w-40 synthetic oil in my Arctic Cat 650 gas machine and Rotella 15w-40 conventional oil in my Suzuki Eiger 400 gas machine. The 2 Rotella oils mentioned above are JASO/MA approved oils for quads,motorcycles,etc. Also you can conveniently get those at Walmart.

Tony

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
From what I have read over the years Rotella T6 is very popular in gas or diesel quads. 0W-40 for colder temp areas run year round. I personally run Cat’s 0W-40 synthetic in my quads, both gas though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So any good 0-40 synthetic is safe aye? At the moment my temps here in Eastern Washington are 20 in the morning to around 40 in the afternoon. Its only going to get colder too.

Thanks.

Tom

·
Registered
494 Posts
So any good 0-40 synthetic is safe aye? At the moment my temps here in Eastern Washington are 20 in the morning to around 40 in the afternoon. Its only going to get colder too.

Thanks.

Tom
Yeah you can Google say like oil temp charts and it will show you a chart like say 0w-40 , 5w-40 , 15w-40 etc,etc, it will show the temperature range that the oil is good for, from the coldest temps to the hottest temps. The guys up North usually use the 0w-40 or 5w-40, were as I being in Texas don't get the extreme colder temps they do. I use the 5w-40 in my Cat because it's synthetic and Cat recommends a synthetic oil to be used.

Tony

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I always used 5w40 Rotella T6, but switched to Arctic Cat 0w40 ACX for winter. I had an issue with the 5w40 running too much oil pressure at -20 F and blowing the seals out of my turbocharger. I don't think 5w40 would be a problem above 0F. My oil pressure gauge was pegged hard at 100 psi with the T6, I suspect it was a bit higher below zero. I run 5w40 T6 in my Ram Ecodiesel, will be curious what kind of oil pressure it runs, if it gets that cold, though, the Ram has a block heater. I really don't think 5w40 will be a problem if you don't have a turbocharger, but owner's manual does call for 0w40 in winter. Joe, AC does offer a block heater PN 1436-432.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys. Everyone is very helpful on this site. Wall, can I get that block heater from Country Cat?

·
Registered
10,386 Posts

·
Administrator
37,081 Posts

Thanks.

Tom

Wet clutch safe JASO-MA rated

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I think over the years, Shell Rotella T6 0W-40 has become one of the most popular on the various forums because it is such a great synthetic, and it is readily available at Walmart and occasionally goes on sale for a great price.

I've also used Klotz synthetic ATV 0W-40 and Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke 0W-40. All seem to have a decent winter pour point and work well.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The ACX oil is fairly reasonable at my dealer, the kit comes with an oil filter that fits my 700TRV gas model. Might check if they also sell the kit with the Diesel oil filter. I can see the difference between the ACX and 5w40 T6 starting in the cold, though, it's only been down to +10F so far. Also, you don't need wet clutch oil, the diesel does not have a wet clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts