Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know hoe much horse power a 1991 wild cat 700 carbed sled has stock?
What would it have with twin pipes?
With a comet clutch?
Thanks, MATT

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would think you would be in the 90hp range, with pipes and proper ajustments to compensate, 100hp. The clutch really doesn't add hp, a properly tuned clutch system will make the best use of available power and transfer it to the ground efficiently.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help!
I bought the sled but haven't got it yet. Just needs a track and to be put back together.
The motor was redone top and bottom by the Cat dealer a couple towns away. A comet clutch was put on, new twin pipes(not sure the make), and when the motor was done im pretty sure she was bored. Also the carbs are new along with boots and that sorta stuff.
I would have guessed the sled had about 100hp stock. Just because my el tigre 6000 440 liquid has 70hp stock. Its a big jump in age from a 78' to 91' and I went from a 440 liquid Stock, to a 700 liquid bored and money in her.

What do you think the sled was worth running good and in need of a track? Just wondering if I got riped off or not?
Thanks, MATT

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd say since the motor and everything was rebuilt, $6-800 would be a real good deal for you on that sled considering you could get a used track for $200, put it on yourself, and have a $1200+ machine on your hands. That is if the rest of it is in nice, clean shape. Those are prices around here though so they may be different in your neck of the woods

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot. Guess I got a decent deal then. It is in excellent shape and just needs a track like I said. Other than that she is tip top and all redone.
Thanks, MATT

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Wildcat 700 Carb came stock with twin pipes. I think a stock engine that is jetted well can be counted on to make about 112-115hp at sea level. But the thing that is even better about that motor is the TORQUE! I just bought the wife a 1998 ZR600EFI and I haven't raced them side by side yet, but I am pretty sure the Wildcat would take it, at least to 70mph(I have my '91 Wildcat geared pretty low to ride in powder and climb hills in the mountains in Colorado here) I love that old shakey idling engine, as it just has an amzing midrange pull. Keep in mind that when clutching it, the engone makes peak power at 7800 RPM's And on a long run as the pipes heat up, the powerband will "slide up" to 8100ish. Any other info you need, just ask.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. man!
The pipes looked new thats why I thought they were aftermarket?
The comet clutch says good to 9000RPM so I hope im good.
As for condition shes excellent and isn't missing anything!
Just picked up a new camoplast track and sliders for her last night. Is your track studded?
Also how fast overall would you say this machine could go? Rough estimate?
Thanks, MATT

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, i am at 8000 feet plus and I have had mine at about 90 mph GPS confirmed (in one of the few long straight stretches in Colorado). So i would assume you could go 100-110 well tuned and geared right at sea level. I have since geared mine down to only be able to go about 80 mph, but that is fine as there isn't a lot of places to go much faster in Colorado, and my Thundercat is the hot trail sled anyway...

Oh, and try and set the idle on that engine to like 2500 RPM, anything lower and it will try and shake itself to death at idle. And when you go t clutch it just remember, that this engine is a torque monster and likes to be loaded. I had a Red drive clutch spring with a set of polaris 10-58 weights back when i lived in Illinois and it would just loft the skis at the touch of the throttle. That and a set of 23/40 gears should make for a sweet trail/grudge match setup for you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again!
Sounds like she will cruise along nice. Hows the stock suspensions on these sleds? Mines rebuilt and looks good to me.
Would it be safe to say it will beat my buddys 98' formula Z 583 stock?
I think mine was idling somewhere around 3000RPM if Im not mistaken. Will check for sure when I fire her up next time. The comet clutch is off but the machine was running it at one point. Before the drive got taken apart for the new track.
This sled was always serviced by a Cat dealer and is in great shape. Hoping to end up with a nice fast sled. Faster than my vintage anyways.
Do you know what tooth gears I should put into it for more speed or take off??? Better performence overall??? I got the chaincase ripped down so might as well do it while im in there?

Thanks, MATT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts