Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my first ATV about an hour ago. AC 2009 700 EFI H1. I'll post pictures when i get the chance.

i'm not sure what kind of gas to put in it..should i go with Regular (87) or Supreme (91) ?

what do you people put in your cats

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
87 octane is fine, any higher octane is just not needed with the compression ratios these motors have.
:)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I run Torco 110, however you shouldnt lol, it will actually hinder your motor runing that high of an octaine, and I wouldnt recomend using those ocaine boosters either, they are :turd:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XiNull @ Nov 20 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
just got my first ATV about an hour ago. AC 2009 700 EFI H1. I'll post pictures when i get the chance.

i'm not sure what kind of gas to put in it..should i go with Regular (87) or Supreme (91) ?

what do you people put in your cats[/b]
Your owners manual probably says 87 or mid grade octane. Myself I use 85 same as I put in my truck. Since i usually fill the atv's and the truck at the same time when going for a ride. I've tried 83,85,87,91,93 & 95 octane and really find no difference in a low compression engine. 85 octane isn't a lower quality of gasoline it just has a faster burn rate then higher octane. I can get by without using the higher octane be cause I'm at a higher altitude, higher you are in altitude, the less need there is for higher octane since air pressures are lower which lowers combustion chamber pressures and reduces tendency to experience knock anyhow.

Higher the octane the slower the burn rate. Octane has NOTHING to do with gasoline quality. Even though many stations market it as premium or supreme. In reality 85 octane and 95 octane has the same base fuel the 95 just has additives to slow down it's burn rate. When and if possible I do look for gasoline that does NOT have methanol in it. I get better mileage and more power with gasoline without MeoH in my truck, bike or ATV's. And usually the same price.

Some claim better performance with higher grades, and some don't. if you experience pre detonation or engine knock you need to increase octane. Try different grades your self and use what ever makes you and your engine happy.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I use to use 91 Oct...But after reading up on it now I go with 87 Oct...Like Wyo

says there is no gain exept for the price.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I run Torco 110, however you shouldnt lol, it will actually hinder your motor runing that high of an octaine, and I wouldnt recomend using those ocaine boosters either, they are :turd:[/b]
i run the torco in my raptor, purple power the local shop i buy it from calls it. freakin $7 a gallon though.

for the cat 87 is fine, i'd try 85 like wyo but i've never even heard of that around here. and i avoid the 10% crap, you might as well figure your buying 10% water also.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I run Torco 110, however you shouldnt lol, it will actually hinder your motor runing that high of an octaine, and I wouldnt recomend using those ocaine boosters either, they are :turd:[/b]
I've found that the octane boosters work very well making a low octane fuel into a higher octane fuel such as making 83 or 85 work as well in a higher combustion engine as 91-95 would. However the same octane booster will not make 95 octane much higher than 95 octane.

My Bike requires 91 octane minimum because of it's higher compression, many stations in smaller towns in this state carry only 83 octane. I carry a bottle of octane booster when caught in a location where I can get only low octane gas, 1 once per gallon and my bike is as happy on 83 as it is on 91.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 21 2009, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i run the torco in my raptor, purple power the local shop i buy it from calls it. freakin $7 a gallon though.

for the cat 87 is fine, i'd try 85 like wyo but i've never even heard of that around here. and i avoid the 10% crap, you might as well figure your buying 10% water also.
[/b][/quote]
Your getting a deal then lol, I pay 9 bucks a gallon for it, but i would rather buy out of a 55 gallon drum then out of the ground like the VP everywhere around me

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Nov 21 2009, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've found that the octane boosters work very well making a low octane fuel into a higher octane fuel such as making 83 or 85 work as well in a higher combustion engine as 91-95 would. However the same octane booster will not make 95 octane much higher than 95 octane.

My Bike requires 91 octane minimum because of it's higher compression, many stations in smaller towns in this state carry only 83 octane. I carry a bottle of octane booster when caught in a location where I can get only low octane gas, 1 once per gallon and my bike is as happy on 83 as it is on 91.
[/b][/quote]
Sorry I should have clarified, as long as its a good brand booster and not the 3 dollar bottle at the cash register when you are paying for fuel, then they can be ok, but I still wouldnt use them, its just more crap in my tank. Before i had all of my motor work done I was cutting 91 and 110 half and half, but a high octane like 110, or C16, can actualy make you slower. but the 110 is nice because it makes my motor cooler.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking is BAD. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.
The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in your machine. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.

During WWI, it was discovered that you can add a chemical called tetraethyl lead (TEL) to gasoline and significantly improve its octane rating above the octane/heptane combination. Cheaper grades of gasoline could be made usable by adding TEL. This led to the widespread use of "ethyl" or "leaded" gasoline.

The Earth became covered in a thin layer of lead, and lead is toxic to many living things (including humans). When lead was banned, gasoline got more expensive because refineries could not boost the octane ratings of cheaper grades any more. Airplanes are still allowed to use leaded gasoline (known as AvGas), and octane ratings of 100 or more are commonly used in super-high-performance piston airplane engines. In the case of AvGas, 100 is the gasoline's performance rating, not the percentage of actual octane in the gas. The addition of TEL boosts the compression level of the gasoline -- it doesn't add more octane. Currently engineers are trying to develop airplane engines that can use unleaded gasoline. Jet engines burn kerosene, by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 21 2009, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Your getting a deal then lol, I pay 9 bucks a gallon for it, but i would rather buy out of a 55 gallon drum then out of the ground like the VP everywhere around me
[/b][/quote]
i don't feel so bad about $7 now, the local shop supports about a half dozen mx quads and 3 or 4 woods racers, plus most local racers buy from him so he goes threw 55 gallon drums pretty quick. i can get turbo blue cheaper, but it comes from underground like you said and is a 45 minute drive.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Nov 21 2009, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Sorry I should have clarified, as long as its a good brand booster and not the 3 dollar bottle at the cash register when you are paying for fuel, then they can be ok, but I still wouldnt use them, its just more crap in my tank. Before i had all of my motor work done I was cutting 91 and 110 half and half, but a high octane like 110, or C16, can actually make you slower. but the 110 is nice because it makes my motor cooler.
[/b][/quote]

No need to say Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. I don't think any canned off the shelf octane booster is going to turn 91 into 110. But it probably would turn 85 into 91. Least that has been my observation.

When I used to race snow machine in the late 70's. I was able to get Aviation gas at the local airport 55 gallons at a time. That along with a small can of marvel mystery top cylinder lubricant in every 5 gallons and a lean amount of a good quality 2 cycle oil my engine would purr oh so nice. the Marvel Mystery oil and the lean mix of 2 cycle oil made a difference. Better than any other 2 cycle oil alone I tried. That was my last 2 cycle engine. Everything I've have since has been 4 cycle with the exception of the chain saw.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 21 2009, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 21 2009, 01:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
i don't feel so bad about $7 now, the local shop supports about a half dozen mx quads and 3 or 4 woods racers, plus most local racers buy from him so he goes threw 55 gallon drums pretty quick. i can get turbo blue cheaper, but it comes from underground like you said and is a 45 minute drive.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah 55 gallons will last the sponsors race shop a whole season, he doesnt really advertise that he sells it, just kind of a know a guy who knows a guy kind of thing

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Also you have to remember, steel jugs are better than plastic, you will actually lose some of your octane rating faster in a plastic jug, you can lose up to 5 octane ratings over 1 month in a plastic jug, where steel can will keep the rating for up to 3-4 months

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Nov 21 2009, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mnDVXracer58 @ Nov 20 2009, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Nov 21 2009, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Sorry I should have clarified, as long as its a good brand booster and not the 3 dollar bottle at the cash register when you are paying for fuel, then they can be ok, but I still wouldnt use them, its just more crap in my tank. Before i had all of my motor work done I was cutting 91 and 110 half and half, but a high octane like 110, or C16, can actually make you slower. but the 110 is nice because it makes my motor cooler.
[/b][/quote]

No need to say Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all. I don't think any canned off the shelf octane booster is going to turn 91 into 110. But it probably would turn 85 into 91. Least that has been my observation.

When I used to race snow machine in the late 70's. I was able to get Aviation gas at the local airport 55 gallons at a time. That along with a small can of marvel mystery top cylinder lubricant in every 5 gallons and a lean amount of a good quality 2 cycle oil my engine would purr oh so nice. the Marvel Mystery oil and the lean mix of 2 cycle oil made a difference. Better than any other 2 cycle oil alone I tried. That was my last 2 cycle engine. Everything I've have since has been 4 cycle with the exception of the chain saw.
[/b][/quote]
I know alot of guys who buy aviation fuel from airports, they seem to like it.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
same stuff that runs my lawn mower.

·
Registered
504 Posts
El Cheapo! It doesn't require anything special. Hess, Racetrac, whatever I come across. 87 octane.

If you are running a high compression piston that's when you need to step up the octane.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I run 91/92 octane in my H1 now due to the HC piston I have.

As long as we're on the subject, can someone explain to me what the ratio is of a piston? Stock 650H1 is 8:1 I'm told (is that right?). What does the 8 and what is the 1 represent?

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I think the stock 650 is closer to 10:1 like the 500 is. I think.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
it's the ratio of size of the cylidner with the piston down vs up. 8 to 1 compresses 8 parts air and fuel into one (like 8cc of volume into 1cc) 10 to 1 compresses 10 into 1. the max volume doesn't change much as you change dome shape but the bigger dome compresses it more. i would think when you stroke a motor c.r. would go up with the same piston, but i've not saw info on that.

hope i didn't confuse it more, it'll take a tech guy like wyo to make it understandable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts