Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what year of atv arctic cat best made i think 1996 to 2000 there was built atv around but i kind woulder why nobody has them around just new and i woulder am i the ownly one that has trobble with my 2007 i just got the back fender replace and looks like new again and when i go from low to high the tranny knocks like it turying to go in after i slow the motor down then it goes it and can't do any fast shifttin on my 1998 i can shift it with easy but i like the power the new atvs have on pullin poeple out of the mud with some weight on the rear end but all and all i think the first 5 years was the best years made i think please let me know what you think is the best year

·
Registered
332 Posts
I kind of know what you are feeling. I hated my 500 Manual then found a thread here on how to adjust my clutch and wow, It shifts fast and like butter. I feels like a hole new ride. I don't think you can compare the new to the old though.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris500 @ Jan 31 2007, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what year of atv arctic cat best made i think 1996 to 2000 there was built atv around but i kind woulder why nobody has them around just new and i woulder am i the ownly one that has trobble with my 2007 i just got the back fender replace and looks like new again and when i go from low to high the tranny knocks like it turying to go in after i slow the motor down then it goes it and can't do any fast shifttin on my 1998 i can shift it with easy but i like the power the new atvs have on pullin poeple out of the mud with some weight on the rear end but all and all i think the first 5 years was the best years made i think please let me know what you think is the best year[/b]
Hey Chris:

Can't help you with what year is the best year for product quality. Normally, the longer something is produced, the better it gets. That is, until there is a major re-design and new bugs have to be worked out.

Regarding the shifting issue, I had the same problem sometimes when shifting from low to high range. It never happened going from high to low. Just low to high. I adjusted the shift mechanism on my 500 auto. Loosen off the lock nut up at the top under the shift lever. Take off the C - clip from the gear selector arm down at the transmission. Be careful not to drop the plastic bushing and washer. Pull the shift rod off of the selector arm. Now this is the tricky part. You have to figure out if the shifter is either going to far to go into gear or not far enough. If it's not far enough, you have to turn the shifter rod counter clockwise to lengthen the throw. If it's too far, you have turn it in the opposite direction to make the shift shorter. It's a pain in the butt to do and will take some trial and error. When making your adjustment, only make a couple of turns at a time. Remember how many turns you made, put it back together and try it out. If it's better but not right on, make a smaller adjustment. If it's still off, do a couple more turns in the same direction. If that isn't working, you might be adjusting in the wrong direction. Don't forget to put your bushing, washer and C - clip back when you're done. It takes time and patience but it can be done. If your dealer is nearby, pass the headache off to them. They should cover it under warranty. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VT ArcticCat @ Feb 1 2007, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I kind of know what you are feeling. I hated my 500 Manual then found a thread here on how to adjust my clutch and wow, It shifts fast and like butter. I feels like a hole new ride. I don't think you can compare the new to the old though.[/b]
VT ArcticCat:

Would you know where to find the clutch adjustment link? Maybe post th link.

Thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have owned a 98' 300 a 04' 400auto And now have a 07'H1. I must say the new ones have nicer bells and whistles but.... I had zero problems out of my older bikes.(and due to being young and stupid I rode them very hard) My h1 has already had a few problems. I think they were put together better back then maybe A.C got too big a little too fast ,and is not paying attention as close as they used to.

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
yea i got to say the older 500 are tough iv been driving it since we got it and it still runs like a champ
only thing we had to do was put new bearings in the front and buy new brake pads

·
Registered
129 Posts
I started out with an '01 300 4x4. I had it for 4 1/2 years, and it was great. Oil changes, and one tire (railroad spikes are hard on ATV tires) is the only thing I had to do to it. I traded it for an '05 500 auto. The 500 was problematic for the entire 6 months I owned it. I got tired of fooling around with the 500 and its problems. I traded it for an '05 650 H1. The H1 has been just as solid as the 300. The only repair done to the H1 other than oil changes has been a battery.

Sprinter

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks so much on the clutch adjustment i well do that i was at a big sell in In called ted everett i about sold the old girl but kind thank full i didn't buy the 2002 arcitc cat 500I 2wd/4wd manual it has 559 miles clean atv but was so cold out it wouldn't start i knew the battery was died and carb was full of gas and clean the plug but it SOLD for 4100.00 i ran it up to 4000.00 but any ways thanks again so i am just going to keep her and thanks again all for your help on the tranny trobble i had thankyou

1 - 11 of 11 Posts