Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this part is and why its leaking coolant ? It's to the left of the engine oil. You can see what looks like a long bolt and under that it is damp. It's not a huge leak and the only reason I know it's coolant is because there was a green drop coming from the plastic underneath it. This is an xr 500

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks like the water pump.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It is your water pump. Happened to me too. Chances are the coolent is getting into your engine oil too. Change the water pump asap and check your oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the water pump.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Thank you, as you can tell idk a lot about mechanics, but why would coolant be leaking out of a water pump and is that a simple fix ? I'm supposed to go riding in a few weeks, is it damaging to continue to ride if it's a slow leak ?
It is your water pump. Happened to me too. Chances are the coolent is getting into your engine oil too. Change the water pump asap and check your oil.
The entire pump or just the seals and do an oil change?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The water pump is actually a simple part to change, you can buy a rebuild kit but I would just change the whole thing out. You can do it in an hour or two. No, don't ride it until it is fixed or you could blow up your engine depending on what seal in there is broke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The water pump is actually a simple part to change, you can buy a rebuild kit but I would just change the whole thing out. You can do it in an hour or two. No, don't ride it until it is fixed or you could blow up your engine depending on what seal in there is broke.
Ty. Any link to a rebuild kit you can provide ? I looked on the official website and they are about 500 bucks.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I ordered mine on Countrycat.com. I think I paid $250 or so? You can check ebay too, but make sure you have the right part number. Countrycat will for sure send you the right one.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Just the number 1

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you, as you can tell idk a lot about mechanics, but why would coolant be leaking out of a water pump and is that a simple fix ? I'm supposed to go riding in a few weeks, is it damaging to continue to ride if it's a slow leak ?

Though we call it a water pump, perhaps you should think of it as the coolant pump!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts