Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the cylinder shaped componet with the wire running to it on the fwd part of the belt houseing and what does it do ???, I know it has a pin commin out of the bottom which has to line up with what looks like an actuator inside of the houseing I know I need to post a picture of it an I will once the sun comes up

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is a picture of what I'm asking about

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LIL-WILL @ Dec 21 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what is the cylinder shaped componet with the wire running to it on the fwd part of the belt houseing and what does it do ???, I know it has a pin commin out of the bottom which has to line up with what looks like an actuator inside of the houseing I know I need to post a picture of it an I will once the sun comes up[/b]
It is the electric engine brake actuator.

It only works at roughly 4-5 mph and slower.

It does nothing at higher speeds because the 'fingers' aren't long enough to reach the clutch when the belt his higher up in the sheaves.

Some think it provides engine braking at all speeds, but that is completely wrong because it is impossible.

If you disable it or it quits working, the natural engine braking of the motor is still in effect at all speeds above 5mph.

Mine was problematic twice during warranty and I wasn't crazy about having another failure-prone device on the quad. Due to the malfunctions under warranty, the writing was on the wall.

So after warranty was up, I used a KFX700 clutch cover to remove it, the EBC controller module, and the belt failure switch from the quad completely. It's all unessescary junk that fails, costs and reduces reliability. AC could've cut a few bucks off the MSRP of the quad if this unessesary 'feature' was not included. Should've only been an accessory option for those who actually need it.

Only time it might ever be useful is during a steep descent where rear braking alone isn't enough and when front brakes risks flipping you over. Other than that, the system is a complexity waiting to fail and cost you money if you choose to fix it.

Pic below shows the quad with the KFX700 clutch housing cover - notice no junk bolted to it! :lol:

:chug:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts