Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got the bike's tranny rebuilt, and went for a ride yesterday. I noticed that I cant cruise nearly as fast as my friends Yamaha 700, he can easily do 100km/h and I'm here doing 45 km/h at 4500rpm. (wish I had a 6th gear!!!) I could go faster,. but the bike sounds LOUD and revving at like 5-7k rpm. What's a safe cruising RPM for like 30 minutes or an hour ride on road? It's oil cooled, and I think the rad fan is broken since I havent heard it turn on once in the 100km I did yesterday. Say I get the fan working, is really any rpm fine so long as I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter? Or should I keep it under like 5k or what? Not too familiar with what kind of abuse these engines are designed to handle.

Thanks!

Oh and also, we noticed the back tire was just bouncing up and down like crazy while driving fast, would it maybe be a blown shock?

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Well for one your friends 700 is double the cc. I rode a 500 for years and that poor little thing would be pinned to keep up with the 1000's i rode with not that i have a 850 the machine barley works to keep up. i would pin mine for a up to a hour pretty much full throttle and high rpm to keep up with no issue.. Always made sure i had a little left in her to power out of something if i had to.. if you keep up on your maint and use a good quality oil you should be fine.. Or buy a bigger bike if you want to keep up with your fiends

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
your comparing a sport ATV to a utility ATV(and one that has almost twice the motor here)
think of a tractor as to a sorts car! there two different machines!

there NOT made for LONG amounts of time at higher speeds, there geared lower and as such there meant to go slower for WORK, not sport!
if your hearing the motor screaming HIGH RPM's that is telling you something, its NOT made to run HIGH RPM"S for LONG distances!
its the wrong ATV for long amounts of time at Higher speeds
just is what it is!

if you DON"T run mud or climb big hills
you an TRY adding some LIGHT taller tires to help change gear ratios, and get you some higher speeds at lower RPM's
but your going to also loose some power down at the lower end, and will effect handling some!

other wise,
maybe consider selling the ATV and getting something that fits your needs better!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
My 2002 AC 400 manual (water cooled) would top out at 55 mph. I ran it WOT for about 20 miles, once, to keep up with a friend on his motorcycle. Didn't seem to hurt it. As zrock said said, as long as you take care of them, you can run em hard.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Small engines especially 2 stroke are designed to operate at high rpm. 4 stroke maby not as high or as long as a 2 stroke but with proper maint and making sure valves and such are always set and in good shape you will have no issues... My 2014 500 ran 14000 hard KM with at least 1/2 of that being pinned or close to it never had a issue with the engine.. Usually 2 oil changes a year and checked the valves yearly ran like a top way i look at it oil is cheap even for the good stuff compared to a engine. Never once had to adjust valves as they were always well within spec. Had a aftermarket temp gauge installed on mine and it was very seldom the temps would top over 200, the odd time i would hit 205 until the fan caught up and cooled it down..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
yes some folks can run them hard and they last and well, some folks WON"T be so lucky
plain and simple deal here is, if your wanting to ride fast/faster all the time or for long periods of time, this is just the wrong atv for the task
better options are out there, why not sell and buy something better suited to your needs?
as if you run this hard and she blows up
then where are you??

AND its NOT just HIGH RPM"s that cause wear and tear on motors , its HEAT, that can kill them, too
add in a older motor that seen many heat cycles and then want to push it HARD for long periods of time?
its almost asking for something to let loose on you
THEN AGAIN< you might get lucky and never have an issue
me and my luck, I'd find out fast what weak link is there!
as I say, some folks win the lottery., but many DON"T! feel lucky???
LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do. I spent the last month fixing it up, replacing so many different things on it.
For example, clutch shoes, clutch plates, oil, new top end recently, 2 bearings, a bunch of bushings, brake master, rear light assembly, repainted literally everything that was rusty, put led lights and light bars so I can see and NEW TIRES. Big amazing tires that allow me to keep up with my friends grizzly 700 in the mud, and I've done more maintenance stuff.

Oh and yesterday I added a bypass switch so I can manually trigger the cooling fan to turn on.

Not sure what I can get for this bike with a rebuilt top end and transmission and all the other stuff. 4000 (Canadian) maybe?
20200630_195843.jpg

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
yeah I recall the clutch issue's
due to wrong oil??
that sucks

and I am NOT trying to be a negative here for you, I just would hate to see something else go wrong, after the work you already did.
if it was me, I'd sell and buy something more sporty, as that seems to be more what you need for your riding style/buddies!

I cannot say what you an get for it, as price tend to have a lot to do with the area things are being sold in and I have now cluye what things are like in your area

but blue book gives you a ball park on price, and then local adds on like atv's get you closer to ASKING prices, then expect to sell for less than asking, as MOST folks today will low ball the heck out of a seller, hoping someone is desperate for money??
and willing to take a BIG loss, it can be frustrating dealing with possible buyers anymore!!

But I think you should eb able to sell it and get a nice sport ATV
I know this ain;t a HONDA site, but, there 300-400ex 's are pretty solid atv's and can be had pretty cheap in my area!
some DON"T have reverse(or all maybe I forget)
so heads up on that, but there is a TON of aftermarket upgrades to then and parts every where!
Just food for thought!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually seen a dealer here swelling a used 2013 arctic cat 500 automatic with 1400km... For 4700$ Are those any good? It's literally the exact same body , so I know I'd be used to the ride haha

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
yes some folks can run them hard and they last and well, some folks WON"T be so lucky
plain and simple deal here is, if your wanting to ride fast/faster all the time or for long periods of time, this is just the wrong atv for the task
better options are out there, why not sell and buy something better suited to your needs?
as if you run this hard and she blows up
then where are you??

AND its NOT just HIGH RPM"s that cause wear and tear on motors , its HEAT, that can kill them, too
add in a older motor that seen many heat cycles and then want to push it HARD for long periods of time?
its almost asking for something to let loose on you
THEN AGAIN< you might get lucky and never have an issue
me and my luck, I'd find out fast what weak link is there!
as I say, some folks win the lottery., but many DON"T! feel lucky???
LOL
id have to disagree with that statement... but everyone has their opinion.. All machines are designed to go at high rpm.. If they were not they would govern the top end speeds to we could not get it into the high rpm.. I have yet to see a engine blow up for being used the way it was designed with proper maintenance. If we are not to run at high RPM id better sell of my can am 850... Utility atv's were designed as a all around machine good for everything. Unlike a sport machine were it would never be able to trail ride with me (yes people have tryed) or play in the mud....etc..

But ya get a bigger machine so your not always having to run hard to keep up.. thats why i got mine.. I just got around 3500 for my 2014

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
id have to disagree with that statement... but everyone has their opinion.. All machines are designed to go at high rpm.. If they were not they would govern the top end speeds to we could not get it into the high rpm.. I have yet to see a engine blow up for being used the way it was designed with proper maintenance. If we are not to run at high RPM id better sell of my can am 850... Utility atv's were designed as a all around machine good for everything. Unlike a sport machine were it would never be able to trail ride with me (yes people have tryed) or play in the mud....etc..

But ya get a bigger machine so your not always having to run hard to keep up.. thats why i got mine.. I just got around 3500 for my 2014
maybe your missing my point,m its NOT that they cannot handle HIGH RPM"S
they can, most all motors can, BUT most are NOT made to run at HIGH ROM"S for LONG periods of time,
and most all modern atv's do have rev limiters from the factory!
many also have thermo shut off switches for when folks run them too hard and hot

but that doesn't mean that running things to there MAX for long periods of time and often is HEALTHY for LONG life! there is a BIG difference in running things at HIGH RPM"S for bursts and running them for LONG periods of time!

and its NOT the size of the motor that mean speeds, its more in the gearing's
many of the older MANUAL shift atv;'s were geared LOWER due to they were designed more for WORK than PLAY!
thus they have lower top end speeds, and make most of there power down low for working!

so, just BUYING a larger CC motor isn';t really needed for one to go faster !
as stated a Honda 300 ex sport atv will run faster for longer periods of time with less wear and tear when geared for things(can change sprockets to other gearing options if wanted)
This is the reason there are things called UTILITY ATV"S>< SPORT ATV"S and so on

if you got in your day to day vehicle and say its BRAND NEW and FLOORED IT to MAX RPM"S and ran it there for 30-+ minutes at a time, I am sure you will soon find weak links
then try doing the same thing to a OLDER vehicle that has a LOT of miles and hard use, and rum that at its MAX RPM"S for 30+ minutes at a time
what do you think MIGHT HAPPEN<

do you think they will both last as long as someone that maybe ran things at lower RPM"S and didn;t push things to the MAX all the time??

as I said, yes all things CAN run HARD, some will last longer(get lucky) doing this often than others
but that doesn;t mean there isn;t a better machine for the task being asked of it, that can do the task without being at its MAX, thus making it (Typically) last longer due to its being operated in NORMAL operating conditions and NOT at its max!

they don't make so many different things for NO reason!

you talk to anyone that RACES things on a pro level HOW often they do rebuilds after running things to there MAX!
I bet its NOT until things fail!, most will tear down after a few passes or each race!
and I also am 100% sure if you ask them how many have had a motor FAIL pushing it to the MAX, I will also bet almost every one will tell you YES THEY HAVE!
this is what happens when you run things at there MAX, things fail a LOT faster!
I have raced enough things to know this all took well over the yrs!

no bash here either, just adding some food for thought!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts