Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a friend running a zl 600 ss what should he be running in it low test high test or what dont want to burn her down with wrong octane level any hel would be great

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I just use super unleaded (with ethanol) , I think 89 octane, on my 99' ZL 600 and its working really well! (So far got 200 miles on it) Just make sure if you do the same, to disconnect the wire by the ecu(anything with ethanol requires the wire disconnected)!

EDIT: Not sure about the SS model but my model accepts it just fine!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The SS denotes "Smart Suspension" in the skid. I think it's a chip controlled front skid shock, so the octane level shouldn't affect it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jeepjason @ Dec 22 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The SS denotes "Smart Suspension" in the skid. I think it's a chip controlled front skid shock, so the octane level shouldn't affect it. Correct me if I'm wrong.[/b]
I am pretty sure you are right. Honestly most people from what I hear don't like the "smart suspension" and opt to get the regular suspension.

·
Registered
21,410 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hell cat @ Dec 22 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have a friend running a zl 600 ss what should he be running in it low test high test or what dont want to burn her down with wrong octane level any hel would be great[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killazmoto @ Dec 22 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i would suggest running 93 octane.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (soso @ Dec 22 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i use high test man does it rip 99 zl 600[/b]
Most engines manufacture's recomend 87 octane. The higher the octane, the slower the burning of the fuel. Premium gas is used for hi compression engines and/or engines that have a pre-ignition problem. Pinging and spark knocking and the like. Premium gas won't make an engine produce more power. It may reduce it a little. Preminm WILL make your engine run cooler but heat is HP but to an extent. Try to find the lowest octane your engine will run with.

[attachment=142591:premium_gas.pdf]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
hey just curious... what do you run in your sled insaincat?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
So running mine with 89 octane with ethanol is bad for it? So far its worked for me...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Not gonna lie I like your simple home remedies lol! Hmm well I am not sure then, I think I will continue to run my 89 octane and hopefully it doesn't do any harm.

·
Registered
236 Posts
about the removing the wires if running ethanol here in wisconsin I DID NOT disconnect wires and here in wisconsin all fuel has ethanol i posted more on this but i dont seem to have a problem. I would need a good reason to disconnect we run 15% ethanol on all fuels 89 ,mid grade , and 93

I did around 800 miles like this last year and so far 20 miles this year in the yard if even that with a mbrp race can thing runs a bit rich so she gurgles just a bit but when i hit it she defintly has more throttle response as a cat racer said arctic does do a lot of research on there pipes but hey the dnr and economy is telling them to restrict them as well ;) (if you notice the 98 thunder cat was the fastest and also the loudest after that they where told to reduce noise)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It clearly states on the ecu that you should unplug the wire if you are running fuel with ethanol in it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (insaincat @ Dec 22 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hell cat @ Dec 22 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have a friend running a zl 600 ss what should he be running in it low test high test or what dont want to burn her down with wrong octane level any hel would be great[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killazmoto @ Dec 22 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i would suggest running 93 octane.[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (soso @ Dec 22 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i use high test man does it rip 99 zl 600[/b]
Most engines manufacture's recomend 87 octane. The higher the octane, the slower the burning of the fuel. Premium gas is used for hi compression engines and/or engines that have a pre-ignition problem. Pinging and spark knocking and the like. Premium gas won't make an engine produce more power. It may reduce it a little. Preminm WILL make your engine run cooler but heat is HP but to an extent. Try to find the lowest octane your engine will run with.

[attachment=142591:premium_gas.pdf]
[/b][/quote]

Hey rick is that true for our machines.

should I be using regular or midgrade instead of premium.

I always put premium in my stuff because I figure its the best gas for it??

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Been running BP 89 octane and havent had a problem. Running Cat injection oil which I am running low on and will be switching to Castrol sled oil real soon. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
409 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Danzig @ Dec 23 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Been running BP 89 octane and havent had a problem. Running Cat injection oil which I am running low on and will be switching to Castrol sled oil real soon. Never had any problems.[/b]

Danzig does you machine run better on that lower octane then premium??

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I dont see any difference at all. On my bike, yes. Not on the sled.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank every one for the help gonna switch to 87 them hope every one has a great time this year hell cat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts